“Fantastic,friendly staff in great location.”

Village Hotel Birmingham Dudley
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Dudley
Dublin, Ireland
“Fantastic,friendly staff in great location.”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Just returned from a few days visit to this lovely hotel and once again it has excelled expectations.What realy makes this hotel so special is the staff...there level of customer service and friendly attitude is what puts them above everything else.The reception staff are warm,welcomming and go that step further to assist and both ladies we met in the leisure centre greeted us warmely and wished us a "happy swim" and enquired on leaving did we have an enjoyable time.As I was walking down the corridor,an office work enquired was I lost and offered assistance.Breakfast is self service and we were served our tea/coffee swiftly and were asked would we like pancakes freshly cooked...The leisure centre is a must...well equipped,very clean and very relaxing.This is a great base for touring and I highly recommend the Village hotel.Can't wait for my return visit.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
dleeh456, General Manager at Village Hotel Birmingham Dudley, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Geraldine - Delighted to read that you had a great stay. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Kind regards Darryl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2012

My partner and I stayed at the Village Hotel Dudley as we were attending a friend's 50th Birthday party nearby.
The hotel has recently been refurbished in many places so was all very new looking. Reception staff were friendly although very busy with a wedding party.
The bedroom we were given was on the first floor easily accessed by a lift right beside reception, although we didn't realise it until later that night,we were directly above the bar and were disturbed by very loud music coming from a live band...even the floor was vibrating!! This went on until 12 midnight and then it was fine,however, i would have liked to have known that this might be a problem when i had booked. We were in Room 115 so avoid this.
The room itself was lovely,spacious and modern with controlled heating. Pillows were featehr though and we had to ask for them to be changed as i am asthmatic, we waited 3 hours, asking a couple of times in between and eventually went down and asked for them ourselves.
The bed was very comfortable, bathroom very clean.
The bar area was adequate for a hotel its size,drinks were the normal hotel prices. We opted to eat out both nights so i can't comment on the food.
The swimming pool is huge with good sauna and steam room facilities. Changing rooms are large with hairdryers and makeup areas with seats,nice touch.
I would recommend the spa for treatments, i had a back massage and radiance facial which were fantastic, the girl was lovely as were all the staff. Lifts on each floor will take you directly down to the pool and spa area :-)
Breakfast- well this wasn't my favourite part of my stay. Tea was stewed and we were given fat mugs to drink from (pet hate of mine,picky i know). The breakfast is self service buffet style, good choice of food,just wasn't as tasty as i would have liked. There were pastries though so that made up for it! The toaster, as with most, either burnt holes in the bread or heated it up just enough to make it warm..why can't hotels sort this irritant out??
The Sunday morning was manic! We went down for 9.45 and the restaurant was heaving, there were no glasses for the juice, no pastries :-( the tea and coffee took 15 mins to get to us too...however, having said that...after we asked for glasses and our tea and coffee we were seen to straight away.
I would have to say that although it is part of the De Vere chain i was slightly disapointed that it was not of the same standard as the hotel in Blackpool, but then again, we were not charged as high a rate.
I would go back but this time asking for a different room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the bar area
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your constructive feedback and pleased that you enjoyed your overall experience. There are some quick wins for my team and I will personally share your comments at our morning meeting, highlighting the missed opportunities. Kind regards Darryl
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I've stayed at Village hotels before and they are sports bars / gymns first and hotels second, which is OK, though quite a few rowdy people are coming and going. But my most recent visit was marred by arriving at 11.30pm to find no room, despite having a printed out booking confirmation page in my hand. I guess they plan on not everyone turning up, but still, it would have been nice to have been told earlier in the day that this had happened - but maybe they didn't know if everyone was coming until quite late, when they all did. Not happy! though they did eventually find me somewhere else, and pay for it. they guy on the desk who had to face me was polite enough, but by then it was too late.

Room Tip: Phone in advance to confirm, especially if arriving late
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank JinnyJones1982232a
Chris - I was delighted to be able to speak with you personally and express our regret that the hotel was overbooked when you arrived last week. Your reservation was guaranteed but unfortunately this was not spotted by the duty receptioninst and as you arrived after 11pm, the team didnt hold your room. Our mistake and we are sorry. I was delighted to see that you have since taken me up on my offer of a complimentary stay and that you will be going to Cheadle in a couple of weeks. Really sorry - Darryl
Rochdale
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Book on-line and they charge you £ 2-50 for using a credit card but when my credit card bill arrived it was for £ 2-50/room. Each room reserved was listed as a seperate credit card transaction. Complained and I was refunded all charges. We invited four friends for the early doors dinner. Reasonable prices and acceptable limited menu. I started with the ham hock terrine with piccalilli which I enjoyed but there was no buttered toast or roll. Requested a bread roll which duly arrived but without butter. The (three portions) of Eggs Benedict were also cold. The salmon steaks were disappointing. BEWARE they are full of bones! to compensate a cheese platter, again without butter, was offered free of charge. On asking for the bill I had been charged £ 1-00 for the bread roll! Complained and the maitre'd said this was reasonable as a portion of rolls have a standard charge of £ 4-50 and he wouldn't deduct the £ 1-00. One glass of white wine £ 6-00+ The following morning on checking out I wanted to pay for the dinner with a credit card. Guess what? They wanted a £ 2-50 fee for my using a credit card so I had to use a debit card. I thought the Government were stopping this credit card surcharging practice? Standard twin room very small and lacking aircon. The bedroom window had restricted opening to help ventilation. A large upright fan was provided which took up space where a second chair could have been and should have been provided. The fan was noisy and an aide to insomnia. Very poor TV reception, the picture of which we were unable to tolerate. Bathroom ok but no toiletries other than a soap dispenser on the wall. Breakfast was acceptable. We have stayed at this Hotel before but doubt whether we will stay there again. The bad practices of some budget airlines appear to be being adopted by this hotel group.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank BigKindo
Thank you for sharing your particular experience of Village. After reading your comments I am extremly concerned with the 'add on's that you describe. While we do charge a £2.50 credit card fee (not for debit cards) this should be one fee per transaction and should not be levied on the same card if you are paying for all rooms. The early doors menu has been a real hit with the majority of guests and toasted brioche should have been served with the pate. Again you feedback is really helpful and my team will work to ensure any non brand 'add ons' are avoided where possible. Kiind regards Darryl
Attleborough, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2012

This hotel is owned by Devere, and we stayed here a week after a very pleasant stay at another Devere hotel. This was totally different, even though it cost more. The family room was small with a double bed and a pull-out sofabed. The mattress on the sofabed was so thin that you could feel the springs and the metal bar beneath the springs. TV was fuzzy, and the windows opened fully (broken safety catch) on a second floor window. Not good in a family room.

We requested a change of rooms and got a replacement with 2 mattresses on the sofa, a working window catch but still a fuzzy TV.

Breakfast was OK, with the usual hot and cold selection, although it lacked the continental choices many hotels offer – breads, cheeses, cold meats etc. Service was poor. My wife asked three times for a coffee. It finally came as we were leaving.

The pool has the potential to be great but was a let down. It’s a big pool but all of it was roped off into lanes. These were labelled ‘slow lane’, ‘medium lane’ and ‘fast lane’. They even took over one of the lanes for swimming lessons at one point. Children are only allowed in the pool at certain times but even in those times, are restricted to one small section. At one point, there were 4 people in the fast lane, 2 in the medium lane and 44 in the slow lane. That was 44 parents and kids, trying not to bash into one another! It was the same both times we visited the pool.

We complained about the problems with the room and about the pool but apparently no managers work at the weekend. The best that could be offered was the reception team leader or the pub team leader.

I’ve stayed in a few Devere hotels but this was the worst. It felt more like a Travelodge. Standards are low and customer service poor. The rooms have been made over with a ‘funky’ feel, but the bathrooms are pure 1970s – very dated. There's a Holiday Inn down the road. We're going to try that next time!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Attleborough, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Room Tip: Avoid the sofabeds if you've got kids. Ask for an extra matress or try another hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Jomtien Beach, Thailand
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I booked this hotel for business as i had an early meeting locally the following day. Booked direct through the Hotel's website for a 'standard room'. Upon arrival i checked into room 101 and immediately could see through the 'veneer' of the website's sales pitch. The furniture, carpets and curtains are very nice and contemporary but beneath this veneer everything is very very cheap, dirty and below the standard that the price suggests.... The window's are old fashioned wooden frames which are badly decayed and full of condensation and mould. The bathroom tiles have simply been applied directly over the old tiles from the hotels previous life as a travel shed/hut/garage etc (Please see attached pics).

Most surprisingly there are NO TOILETRIES! NONE AT ALL! NOTHING! Not even a solitary cotton bud, bar of soap, or 2ml bottle of cheap shampoo. All you get is 1 threadbare towel, dirty windows and a view of a gutter flooded with fag butts, not nice.....

Contacted reception, duty manager appeared 5 minutes later, apologised profusely, within another 5 minutes his colleague appeared to take me to my upgraded room. The 'Superior room' was everything that the website promised, clean, proper double glazed windows, air conditioning etc, VERY NICE.

My conclusion? Book a standard room and you will be given a below standard room. Complain and you will be upgraded to a nice clean Superior room. A classic bait and switch operation, sadly more transparent than their windows....

Please see attached pictures of the first, ironically named, room 101!

Room Tip: Avoid room 101.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank sunshineandlaughter
dleeh456, General Manager at Village Hotel Birmingham Dudley, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Thank you for sharing your particular view of Village Urban Resort Dudley, We respect your opinions but are sorry that you felt let down with our standard room type. The hotel is one of the original Village properties but I'm delighted to say that our owners have invested significant capital across the building to modernise and improve facilities. Approximatley 8 x double glazed windows need replacing (including 101) and this is being resolved in the new year. I see no problem with wooden window frames as long as they are painted or the over-tiling you mention in your review. The finish is much better than the rooms used to be and all of this investment has happend in the last 12 months and during a severe economic recesssion. In respct of the toiletries, we hope to move across to traditional products at some point and these are currently available in the Upper Deck Rooms that will land in October. In the meantime, all bathrooms have a hand soap and shower gel dispenser mounted on the wall. Kind regards Darryl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dudley
Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley
The Quality Hotel Dudley
Station Hotel
Station Hotel
#5 of 6 in Dudley
Village Hotel Birmingham Walsall
Holiday Inn Express Birmingham Oldbury M5 Jct.2
Travelodge Birmingham Kingswinford

Been to Village Hotel Birmingham Dudley? Share your experiences!