“Fur coat and no Knickers in the Village....”

Village Hotel Birmingham Dudley
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Dudley
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I booked this hotel for business as i had an early meeting locally the following day. Booked direct through the Hotel's website for a 'standard room'. Upon arrival i checked into room 101 and immediately could see through the 'veneer' of the website's sales pitch. The furniture, carpets and curtains are very nice and contemporary but beneath this veneer everything is very very cheap, dirty and below the standard that the price suggests.... The window's are old fashioned wooden frames which are badly decayed and full of condensation and mould. The bathroom tiles have simply been applied directly over the old tiles from the hotels previous life as a travel shed/hut/garage etc (Please see attached pics).

Most surprisingly there are NO TOILETRIES! NONE AT ALL! NOTHING! Not even a solitary cotton bud, bar of soap, or 2ml bottle of cheap shampoo. All you get is 1 threadbare towel, dirty windows and a view of a gutter flooded with fag butts, not nice.....

Contacted reception, duty manager appeared 5 minutes later, apologised profusely, within another 5 minutes his colleague appeared to take me to my upgraded room. The 'Superior room' was everything that the website promised, clean, proper double glazed windows, air conditioning etc, VERY NICE.

My conclusion? Book a standard room and you will be given a below standard room. Complain and you will be upgraded to a nice clean Superior room. A classic bait and switch operation, sadly more transparent than their windows....

Please see attached pictures of the first, ironically named, room 101!

Room Tip: Avoid room 101.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank sunshineandlaughter
dleeh456, General Manager at Village Hotel Birmingham Dudley, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

Thank you for sharing your particular view of Village Urban Resort Dudley, We respect your opinions but are sorry that you felt let down with our standard room type. The hotel is one of the original Village properties but I'm delighted to say that our owners have invested significant capital across the building to modernise and improve facilities. Approximatley 8 x double glazed windows need replacing (including 101) and this is being resolved in the new year. I see no problem with wooden window frames as long as they are painted or the over-tiling you mention in your review. The finish is much better than the rooms used to be and all of this investment has happend in the last 12 months and during a severe economic recesssion. In respct of the toiletries, we hope to move across to traditional products at some point and these are currently available in the Upper Deck Rooms that will land in October. In the meantime, all bathrooms have a hand soap and shower gel dispenser mounted on the wall. Kind regards Darryl

There are newer reviews for Village Hotel Birmingham Dudley

Reviewed September 1, 2012

Me and my OH stayed here last Saturday night, We arrived around 11pm as we had been at a family party nearby.
When we pulled into the car park there was numerous police vehicles there, and right away i was a bit put off by this.
Never-less we booked in ( Receptionist Polite ) and my OH explained that i have food allergies and that can the restaurant be made aware for breakfast tomorrow.
He took my list of food and said he would take it right away to the kitchen so they where aware and knew of things they may have to change.
After what seemed like a trek we found our room ( 309 ) right at end of the hotel , Although when my OH booked he did say can we have something not too far as i have a back condition.
The room it self was OK, not the cleanest room i have stayed in, Loo had not been flushed by prev either guests or the cleaners.
TV in the room did not work properly the signal was bad, only turned it on to check news and weather for the next day.
We went to bed, well tried too had people playing knock down ginger at our end of the hotel at 2AM !
We went to breakfast the next morning, and shown to our seats, the restaurant was fairly busy, i explained i had allergies and had inform reception last night.
He explained to me he had only been given it 5 minutes before, and the no problems as reception promised turned into me having just mushrooms and beans and toast.
Beans where warm, tomatoes salty and toast well cant ruin that !!!!!!
All in all a experience that i was looking forward to as we pass this hotel whenever visiting family in Dudley.
I would have to think again about staying here, as i don't think i could be comfortable with this last experience.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
dleeh456, General Manager at Village Hotel Birmingham Dudley, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Pollee F - Thank you for sharing your experience of the hotel. I am sorry that you did not enjoy this particular visit and also disappointed that we failed to communicate your dietry needs after you had taken the time to let us know. I can only suggest this was because it was so late when you arrived and the Chef would not be in until the next morning. Depending upon the request we may have struggled to get to the supermarket as it would have been a Sunday morning. The late receptionist should also have allocated you a room closer to recpetion when you requested this. Perhaps he was keen for you to have a free upgrade to the superior rooms and these are all situated in a quieter part of the hotel? Overall we should have done much better and If you would like to contact me directly, I will organise for you to stay again with my compliments. Regards Darryl

Reviewed August 31, 2012

This hotel is all gloss and veneer, for the attractive 'public' areas of the hotel hide the true inadequacies of the lodging. The 'family suite' we were sold was nothing of the sort - it was a bed and a pull-out couch with little room for anything else. The room was dirty - we found old socks behind the curtains and remnants of food under the couch. The pull-out couch was so uncomfortable our children could not sleep on it so we had them stay with family in the area. We complained on our first night and again on checking out but I'm pretty certain our comments were completely ignored. Definitely not what we expected. Very disappointing.

Room Tip: This is a business hotel - no rooms suitable for families
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Trevor, I am sorry that your stay was not as you would have wished and that you felt let down by our family rooms. All family rooms contain a double bed and a sofa bed suitable for upto 2 small children but as a result of your feedback, I will review the mattresses and see if we need to purchase new ones. The lack of room cleanliness you describe is totally unacceptable and will be disucssed with housekeeping. All rooms should be checked by a supervisor after cleaners have finished and clearly this one has been missed - we are extremley sorry. I encourage my team to resolve all guest complaints at the time and to the full satisfaction of the guest where ever possible. Please let me know when you are next staying with Village and I will personally ensure you are well looked after. Regards Darryl

Reviewed August 28, 2012

Been for an over night break at this hotel. The staff were very friendly and helpful and this was it's saving grace. A friend and I went to use the facillities and have some beauty treatments. When we arrived we were told the resturant was closed because it was a bank holiday, we were quite disappointed about this. We went to our room which was not as clean as you would expect, there was lots of dust on the blind also the room was hot. The treatments were mixed, my massage was just about ok but my ESPA facial was fabulous and done by a very competent therapist. We ate in the pub based within the hotel, we had dinner which was ok and lunch the following day which was dreadful. Breakfast was not great. On the whole I find the hotel quite poor and would not stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
dleeh456, General Manager at Village Hotel Birmingham Dudley, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Seanywoo - Thank you for taking the time to share your particular expereince of Village Urban Resort Dudley. I was delighted to read that the team were all freindly and helpful and that your Espa facial was fantastic. I was also suprised to hear that whilst dinner in the pub was fine lunch was not. If you would like to let us know exactly what happened I will of course investigate and get back to you. (darryl.hldnall@village-hotels.com). In the meantime and for other readers, our main restaurant closes on Sunday evenings or Bank Holiday Monday's. This is because we tend to have very few residents in a hotel on these nights and it makes no finacial sense to open two large dining options for just a few. However, our Victory pub is of course open and a full menu including items that are normally avaialable the restaurant menu. Kind Regards Darryl

Reviewed August 27, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights whilst helping my son move house. He recommended the Village as he is a gym member. Excellent service from staff, especially in the restaurant. Very good position for access to restaurants at the nearby cinema complex - about 6 or 7 to choose from. Lovely balcony area outside the bar for watching the sun setting.

Room was compact but comfortable - very surprised that there was not a small fridge which is essential in warm weather to keep drinks cool. Most hotels of this price range are fitted with fridges and small safes.

Unfortunately we didnt have time to use the spa/gym but hopefully we will next time we visit. looks very good though.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
dleeh456, General Manager at Village Hotel Birmingham Dudley, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Beejay, Thank you for your feedback and v.pleased to read you enjoyed your break. Kind regards Darryl

Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

Spent one night here and had a lovely stay. The check in was great and the receptionist (a male) couldn't do enough for us. The room was a good size and well presented. The only negative comment is the room was too hot and our kids struggled to sleep. There was a fan, but it was prettying effective. It was a hot night though!! The leisure facilities are great and the kids loved the pool. The restaurant was excellent value as 2 adults dine for £29 and the food is good. Our 4 year old eat free too. The breakfast is very nice. The bar is also very good, with a good selection of drinks. I would stay here again, much better than premier inns or the equivalent. I'd probably upgrade the room to superior with air con though for £20 extra

• Stayed: August 2012

Tranmerems, thanks for your review and delighted to see your family break hit the spot. Kind regards Darryl

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Me, my friends and my mother have stayed here a number of times and have been happy eveytime. The price is very good, hotel staff are also very nice. The spa staff make you feel very welcome and can't do enough for you. Very friendly hotel. We would all go back for another spa break.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for your kind comments and v.happy to hear you will be returning. Kind regards Darryl

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dudley
Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley
The Quality Hotel Dudley
Station Hotel
Station Hotel
#6 of 7 in Dudley
Village Hotel Birmingham Walsall
Holiday Inn Express Birmingham Oldbury M5 Jct.2
Travelodge Birmingham Kingswinford

Been to Village Hotel Birmingham Dudley? Share your experiences!