“Very Interesting”

Dudley Canal Trust Trips
Ranked #1 of 1 Tours in Dudley
More attraction details
Owner description: See the network of underground canal routes that helped form the industrial Black Country and marvel at the fantastic Limestone Caverns. Enjoy a canalside walk or relaxing boat trip, and admire the local history. See if you can spot any of the limestone fossils remaining from when the area was below sea, and explore the Dudley Tunnel - don't be startled by the bats!
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I chanced on this with my two daughters (aged 13 and 10) when visiting the Black Country Living Museum.

The tour guide and boat driver, Roy, was excellent. He had a real passion for the tunnels and the limestone mines. He gave us tips on when to get the best photos.

Overall, we enjoyed the experience, however, on a cold day we got wet (due to drips from the tunnel ceiling) and therefore we became quite cold. We would recommend wearing some waterproof clothing and/or going on a warm day!

Reviewed April 4, 2013

We were staying at the Crowne Plaza at the NEC (read my review on that one if you dare!). A book in the room advertised this trip so my wife suggested that we divert to here first before returning home. I wasn't so sure (after all, what does she know? ;-) )

I'm really glad that she did. What a great "experience". It was freezing cold in the tunnels (easter 2013), but that didn't detract at all. We took a 45 minute trip which in some ways feels longer, in other ways it's too short to take it all in. Oodles and oodles of interesting facts, sites and witty repartee (Yes Brian you are mad!) And all for a very reasonable price in my humble opinion.

I've given this 45 minute trip 5 stars. But I ask myself what the 2 hour and 6 hour ones would rate?

I'll find out later in the year when it's a bit warmer (please?)

1  Thank Fred_the_needle
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We paid the £19.90 cost for an early bird ticket, 2 adults + 3 children,(before 12 in the easter holidays). Journey lasted about 50 mins, there is a lot to see in the tunnels along the trip with a very informative guide. You can get a bit wet but as you would only expect, you get a safety hat provided. Kids was really into the journey although we did go on a cold day and believe me it fells even colder under the tunnels. Overall would recomend to anyone. We paid to get into the black country musuem first but you can pay just for the canal trip which is seperate.

1  Thank wangle6
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Needed somewhere to go for a few hours, and as we're both canal lovers decided to look out the Dudley Canal Trust.
We had a great time here. Took the 45min trip on the trip boat Richard. Had a excellent guide Mark, who really knew his stuff. The trip itself was great, loads of information and even some interactive stuff as well.
Would we go back again? Would we recommend the trip? You bet we would. Hope to do the 6hr round trip at some point in the future.
The prices are very reasonable, and if you go before 12 (I think in school holidays) then you can get an early bird price.

1  Thank Karanszia
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Nice day out better in warmer times as its a cooler climate by the canals but nice time for all so make sure you have a raincoat for cool days