“A Little Gem of a Trip”

Dudley Canal Trust Trips
Ranked #1 of 1 Tours in Dudley
More attraction details
Owner description: See the network of underground canal routes that helped form the industrial Black Country and marvel at the fantastic Limestone Caverns. Enjoy a canalside walk or relaxing boat trip, and admire the local history. See if you can spot any of the limestone fossils remaining from when the area was below sea, and explore the Dudley Tunnel - don't be startled by the bats!
Northampton, United Kingdom
73 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“A Little Gem of a Trip”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We went on this canal boat trip during our day at the Black Country Living Museum and what a little gem we stumbled across. A breathtaking 45 minute trip by electric boat into the spectacular limestone caverns below Dudley Castle. Very informative driver and in all a fab experience. Do prepare to be both cold and wet but this is really just part of the experience and does not detract from the excellence of this trip

Visited February 2013
1 Thank kevin f

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Hagley, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Unhelpful and thoughtless”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I had booked the Christmas trip for myself, wife and two daughters. Unfortunately my eldest daughter had a sickness bug the day we were due to go. My wife called to let them know and asked if it was possible to re-arrange she was told by the woman at the trust that "If I did that for everybody it would take all day." My wife e-mailed the Trust to express her dissapointment in the attitude of the staff and the reply she got was well thats how we treat all our customers unsold seats are for new paying customers as we always sell out. However on the Thursday before the final weekend their website showed that there were still over 130 unsold seats on the Saturday and over 70 on the Sunday - let me guess they had such a busy day selling all those tickets on Friday. I don't have a problem with missing out on a trip if it is genuinely sold out but clearly this wasn't.

However on the positive side they did offer to send my daughters the gifts we had paid for, so at least I could tell her that santa knew she was ill and was sending her something to cheer her up. BUT the eldest (3 years old) was so upset when she opened the gift and saw a painting by numbers for ages 9 and above which I then had to take of her and for my 1 year old? a crayon by numbers which had a sticker on it stating gift for 5 and over. So then I had to explain that no santa wasn't angry with her for not going to see him and that was not why he had sent her a gift she wasn't allowed to play with.

Visited December 2012
5 Thank MeltonBrand
Birmingham
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“Really christmassy!”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

After travelling round the country every christmas to find a great christmassy experience this is a one of the good ones and right on the doorstep. We booked the latest slot one the 23rd December so it felt more christmassy in the dark with the christmas lights on. The boat driver we got was great extremely friendly spoke to everyone on boat he takes you through the caverns explaining all the history. The caves are lit up with lights and all things christmassy. In the one tunnel its all set out like a panto and this year was alladin it was fab how it was all set out. They put on a little pantomine show the actors were great really funny too fantastic to say you were underground. After the show had finished you travel through another tunnel until you get to a grotto with a amn dressed as a fairy who was really chatty spoke to everyone and really funny too. Santa gets on the boat and spends time with each child and gives them a gift and get a photo taken. The grotto is set out lovely. When santas finished you make your way back having a christmas sing song once you get off you just go or wat around if you want to purchase a photo which is £6 and comes in a christmas card style holder. Forgot to mention you get a mince pie and a hot drink on arrival. This is one of thise trips not many people know about and it is fantastic better than any shopping centre and you cant beat the black country folk they all make you feel welcome with their funny banter. We will be doing it again. Just wrap up warm or wear a rain mac as you can get a little wet with the water dripping throught the caves.

Visited December 2012
“Wonderful christmas treat!”
Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

I took my two children to Dudley Canal this year for their Santa trip having heard rave reviews from friends who visited lady christmas and we were not disappointed!

Our Boat driver was friendly and informative and started the trip fantastically, not only were we treated to sights of the underground caverns but also to a spectacular festive tour. Not only a visit to Santa but a wonderful pantomime, amazing how in just 15 or so minuets the kids were booing and laughing joining in with all the fun singing along to well known songs mixed with the tradition of a good old pantomime.
Then off to see Santa to top off the trip, more fun with tiny the fairy and my children loved talking to Santa.

A must see! Can't believe we have never been before can not wait until next year, what a way to kick start the christmas celebrations,

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Santa visit”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Visited today for the Santa experience with a very excited 8 yr old. Mostly fine but very disappointed with the Santa element. At some point Santa comes onto the barge, talks to the kids and gives them a gift. Unfortunately my little boy was almost last. He was asked his age, given a gift, had the photograph taken and that was it, no 'what is your name?, 'what would you like for Christmas?' Nothing just moved on because the barge had to move, how to crush a little boys Christmas! I am very angry at this! It just takes a bit of planning!!! Disgraceful!

3 Thank Dazzab1000