“Our big day 24th May 2013”

The Quality Hotel Dudley
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Dudley
Reviewed June 1, 2013

When myself & now husband decided to get married we wanted to do it on as small a budget as possible, so when we saw the wedding packages that were available at the quality hotel we were quick to enquire & then make the booking with them. I must say the staff were very friendly & helpful whenever we had any dealings with them but responses to my emails or phone call were very slow so I had to keep on top of the communication between us (which to be honest did worry me slightly). However when the date grew nearer they upped there game & was on top of communication with me at every point necessary.
The big day arrived & I met Andy (the man was sent to me from heaven he was amazing) his opening line was "hi I'm Andy I will be with you from when your first guest arrives till that last one leave's, anything you need throughout your day let me no" the man was a genius, all my guests commented on how professional & efficient he was, every last detail he thought of.
All I can say is we payed very little for the service we were given & they really did make our special day special.
I would strongly recommend this hotel for your wedding or any other special event you may have.
Thank you so much Andy & all the staff at the Quality Hotel in Dudley.
Lee & Rachael Littlewood
x.x.x

Room Tip: We had 104 & it was great very clean & welcoming.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Rachael L
Nick W, Guest Relations Manager at The Quality Hotel Dudley, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Hello Mr & Mrs Littlewood
Many thanks for posting a review of your special Wedding day that was held here recently, great to hear that everything went fabulously well on the day & that you all received a standard of service that exceeded expectations.

Andy and the team work very hard to ensure that our weddings, parties and functions that are held here go smoothly & without any hitches.

Being available & on hand to ensure a smooth operation, regular communication & action whenever required allows you then to relax & fully enjoy your day with your friends & family which is the most important aspect of the day.

Best wishes

There are newer reviews for The Quality Hotel Dudley

Reviewed May 13, 2013

the hotel itself is in a good location, rooms are a bit dated and could do with some maintenance, but bedding was clean.
Some of the staff are miserable and not very welcoming especially at breakfast, for the money i paid for the room i would have expected a better quality of breakfast.
Parking is good but as its on a main road it can be quite noisy.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bambi3
Nick W, Guest Relations Manager at The Quality Hotel Dudley, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Many thanks for posting your review from your recent stay with us, good to hear that there were positives from your stay and also some negatives which I apologise for.

Our breakfast service is provided as part self service help yourself, & a part served service for the hot full english breakfast. The options available include bacon, sausage, beans, fried & scrambled eggs, hash brown's, fresh tomato's, fried bread, fried mushrooms.

All are offered along with unlimited access to cereals, toast, honey & preserves, breakfast pastries, various fruit juices, unlimited tea & coffee, we can even do freshly prepared omlettes for guests that wish to order

The only thing missing from the menu possibly is smoked kippers, which we don't do.

We are sorry that the standard & quality of our breakfast served was not deemed suitable.

Kind regards

Reviewed May 9, 2013

In order to save you from reading an entire review, the bottom line is: do not stay at this hotel. In fairness, "Quality Hotel" doesn't specify whether it's a Good Quality or a Bad Quality Hotel. Trust me, it's the latter.

Check-in went very smoothly. Not a warm welcome (or any welcome, for that matter), but we got our key and we were directed to our room "just along that corridor". This turned out to be up a staircase, along a corridor, around a corner, up another staircase, around a corner, down a staircase, up another staircase and along a final corridor. Curiously each section of the corridor manages to have a different odour from the last - some of them positively sinus-stripping!

The room itself was functional, threadbare with curtains hanging off the rails that don't quite meet in the middle, but for only 2 nights, we decided to make the best of it. Hungry after the trip, we decided to order some food by room service, and here's where the fun really started. The phone in the room didn't work - the receiver was partially dismantled, like a low-budget James Bond had been trying to install a phone bug. There was a red flashing light on the phone, however, which we were unable to stop. So I decided to run the olfactory gauntlet and head to reception. The conversation went like this:

Me: "Hi, the phone in my room doesn't work...."
Receptionist: *shrug*
Me: "Okaaaay...well, I'd like to order food to the room, please."
Receptionist: "What time is it?"
Me: "9:10pm"
Receptionist: "You can't - the kitchen closes at 9!"
Me: "But the menu says 9:30...."
Receptionist: "Nope, it's closed, but if you want to go ask the kitchen, maybe they'll cook something for you"

So, I trudged off to the kitchen, where a pleasant man enquired and said that yes, indeed, they would cook something for me. "Fine," I replied, "I'd like 2 x combo platters please."

"We don't do that any more, sir.", was the response.

"Ummm...but the menu says..."

"Nope, we're revamping that menu - disregard it."

Eventually, we managed to settle on some side dishes, which cost £2 extra to be brought to the room. This little endeavour finished, I went to the reception to request an iron and ironing board and found the receptionist laughing and chatting on her mobile phone to her friend. My best polite-cough-and-raised-eyebrow resulted in being admonished "One minute" from the receptionist.

Eventually, I just bit the bullet and interrupted her chat: "I want an iron and ironing board, please."

"No, don't have any. Try later." and a return to her interesting phone call.

On top of this, the fixed-height shower head aims right at the centre of my back, and manages to get more water on the floor than on my body. Suitably non-refreshed by the disappointing shower, difficulties of ordering food, and the dismissive receptionist, we turned our attention to the many impediments to a good night's sleep that this hotel offers.

The bed sagged terribly in the middle, and so - in order to avoid continually colliding with each other - we were forced to try sleep on the edges of the bed. This has happened before in a hotel, and is normally not an issue, except that this mattress felt like it had been stuffed with rocks. Sleeping on a bag of rocks on the edge of a precipice is not a pleasant experience - in fact - you don't! Just as I felt that I could try and sleep, the local pubs and clubs started emptying with the assorted noise and shouting this brings. I hoped that the noise would soon pass - and it did - right into the hotel, and into the room next door to us!

We survived the night on zero sleep, and went down to see what delights the breakfast offered. The Quality Hotel has put a great deal of thought into the decor of the dining room/bar area, so that it has all the ambiance of a prison mess hall. Interestingly, all I could hear amongst my fellow inmates...sorry - "guests", was various murmured complaints about the lack of hot water, and the state of the rooms.

There was no one at the hot breakfast buffet, so we started serving ourselves. Not a good idea! A waitress walked briskly from the other side of the room calling out "Wait, stop!" and snatched the plate and tongs from my wife. I was standing to my wife's right and observing this, when the waitress looked up and said "queuing is from the other side". Suitably chastened, I shuffled three steps to my left and, mollified, the waitress served some minuscule portions of breakfast.

There was also a handout in the room, which gaily announced the availability of "Fresh Lavazza Coffee - add an espresso to your breakfast for just £1.25". By this stage I was in dire need of an espresso, so my wife stopped a waitress and asked for an espresso. "No, we don't do those.", was the reply. "But the menu says...", started my wife. "No, we don't do those!", the waitress firmly responded.

The second night was as bad, if not worse than the first, with our neighbours in the next room listening to loud music at 2.30am, shouting to one another, and finally engaging in extremely loud, orgaistic love-making that sounded like the famous scene from When Harry Met Sally obscenely amplified.

If you have masochistic tendencies, and like handing over money in order to be disrespected and sleep deprived, then the Quality Hotel in Dudley should be your first choice. For me, I'm going to be staying in the Village from now on.

Room Tip: Find a cardboard box, put it in the middle of Dudley roundabout and sleep there.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Matt R

Hello Matt R
Many thanks for your extensive and detailed review of your recent stay in April and please accept my apologies for the problems associated from your stay.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

I use the Quality Hotel Dudley on a regular basis for my team of staff working in the area. I have always received an extremely high standard of friendly service throughout the past 12 months and all my team enjoy staying there.
If we do get any issues, we immediately inform the front desk and the reception team will do whatever they can to deal with the matter to a satisfactory conclusion.
My team also enjoy dining and relaxing in the hotel's Conservatory Restaurtant and Bar the prices are pretty reasonable and they have some good deals on if you want to dine there.
You could do a great deal worse staying in Dudley I can assure you.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Nick W, Guest Relations Manager at The Quality Hotel Dudley, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Hello Deb B
Many thanks for posting a review from you and your teams stay with us recently and over the past year or so. Its great to hear that you all have received a standard of service that has met and exceeded your expectations.

Our staff will always strive to fully resolve any issues that are raised by guests, however, sometimes they may be unable to due to the nature of the specific issue raised.

We have full Wi-Fi coverage free car parking and great deals in our restaurant and bar every evening.

We hope that you and your team continue to use the hotel until your local work contract is completed
Many thanks

Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 2 nights last week....
Reception staff - fine, no problem there
Bar/restaurant staff (not the man ) - a bit hard faced and unfriendly
Room- dark, a bit smelly, bars on windows, loose light fittings , temperamental lamps (would switch on then work when it suited them)
Location - not too bad a little noisy but nothing excessive
Wifi - terrible.

• Stayed: April 2013
Nick W, Guest Relations Manager at The Quality Hotel Dudley, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Hello Jaydee
Many thanks for posting your review of your recent stay at our hotel, good to hear that certain aspects of your stay met your expectations and unfortunate that the standard was not maintained for other aspects from our service and facilities.

We have now resolved the issue we were experiencing with the Wi-Fi provider last week, the hotel now has 100% free Wi-Fi coverage throughout.

All our ground floor bedroom window frames have a single bar fixed to deter anyone wishing to gain unlawful entry to the hotel, however, these are not obtrusive to the outlook from our guestrooms or anyway detrimental to the hotel's image when arriving at the hotel.

I will discuss the issues raised of the restaurant staff with the General Manager here at the hotel, we rely on guests having a pleasant experience overall hotel during their stays. This was unacceptable behaviour.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Absolutely dreadful place. I'm writing this at 2.15am whilst in the hotel, although I have to be up in 4 hours for work tomorrow. I have never stayed in such a terrible hotel. The staff were unfriendly upon arrival, I was originally allocated a room that smelt of cigar smoke, so changed to an alternative.
Although I went to bed at 11, I have been unable to sleep due to the traffic noise and constant noise from other guests. I am absolutely appalled that this hotel can call itself 3 star, it's dated, scruffy and not fit for purpose. I'm absolutely disgusted.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank LizHow

Hello LizHow
Thanks for posting your review of your recent stay here at the hotel, please accept my apologies that your stay did not meet with your expectations.

We are refurbishing many parts of the hotel including bedrooms, corridors, bathrooms and our multiple function rooms. We are classed as a 3 star hotel due to the facilities that we have here and not from any external circumstance due to our location, in house guests etc.

These include a full service restaurant, well stocked bar serving a wide variety of beers lagers wines and spirits, a 24hr reception, 5 meeting & function rooms, free Wi-Fi throughout, free car parking front and rear, double, twin and family bedrooms being available.

I apologise for the unfriendly welcome received upon check in, my GM is aware of your complaint and dealing with the issue.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

The receptionist on arrival was fab, after checking if the room had an iron / board (no) I asked for them. Bearing in mind I was carrying a bad in each hand I was handed the iron...beauty. And the tone was set.

As I travelled along the dingy corridor, through wafts of unidentifiable smells (urgh), stepping carefully on the threadbare carpet so as not to trip over whilst wheeling along my two bags and carrying an iron I thought…it’s only one night and it’s cheap….”Quality” in terms of “Value” maybe.

Arriving at my room it initially looked ok. I started to do what I normally do upon arrival which is iron clothes (packing is not my forte). I dropped something on the floor and discovered that the carpet had an additional layer of insulation, otherwise known as dirt. Jumping in the shower was a joy, if you’re a midget. I’m not a tall fella bit I had to duck to get under the fixed height shower head and no matter what I did the water went all over the floor.

The restaurant isn’t the classiest of places for dinner or for breakfast in terms of decor, food nor staff training.

My sleep was wonderful apart from the proximity of the main road, mere yards away from the ground floor window car noises, ambulances, police cars, people walking past - ALL NIGHT).

The really really hard part of the whole stay at the “Quality” Hotel Dudley though was that the hotel I usually stay in when I’m in Dudley, the Village, which was fully booked this time, was visible from my bedroom window…if all of the hotels are booked up next time round I’ll sleep in my car.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank problemplaces
Nick W, Guest Relations Manager at The Quality Hotel Dudley, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Many thanks for posting your review of your recent stay here at the hotel and may I offer my apologies for the issues detailed from your stay.

The Quality Hotel is on a busy road, just outside Dudley town centre, & just across that same road from The Village Hotel, & the traffic noise varies dependent on the day/night of the week of stay.

We cant do much about this unfortunately, however, our bedrooms here do face towards and also away from the road so not all rooms are affected.

We are refurbishing areas of the hotel including corridors and bedrooms & the House Keeping teams clean vacuum and dust all areas daily including bedrooms bathrooms and corridors.

I hope that your preferred travel agent who books your accommodation does so early enough to enable you to stay in your preferred hotel of choice locally and we are again sorry that you did not have a pleasant stay here at our hotel.

Regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dudley
Village Hotel Birmingham Dudley
Holiday Inn Express Birmingham Oldbury M5 Jct.2
Travelodge Birmingham Dudley
Travelodge Birmingham Dudley
#2 of 2 in Brierley Hill

Been to The Quality Hotel Dudley? Share your experiences!