“Absoltely fantastic - stylish, friendly and well worth a visit”
Review of Toll House Inn

Toll House Inn
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Lancaster
Cowbridge
“Absoltely fantastic - stylish, friendly and well worth a visit”
Reviewed March 18, 2010

On checking in into the Penny Bridge in Lancaster you are immediately impressed with the overall cleanliness, sophistication and elegance of the environment. Friendly but proffessional staff cater for your every need. The rooms are contemorary and decorated to a very high standard with all ammenities for the traveller. Wether for business or pleasure the hotel is a must and I will certainly be checking in again when next in Lancaster. The brasserie is also fabulous and the food amazing and homely - well done Penny bridge !!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
PSB_General_Manager, General Manager at Toll House Inn, responded to this review, March 26, 2010
Thank you for your review - we’re delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. All of the team work hard to make our guests feel at home and it’s great to know that our efforts are recognised. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Ian Graham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 22, 2010

stayed for 5 nights while on a course at the uni.
excellent service from the manager on my arrival, even parked my car for me as im rubbish at reversing :)
lovely rooms, air conditioning a bit fiddely but lovely and warm once your work it out. I was in a room at the front of the hotel but did not find it noisy.
rooms were very clean and new towels given daily.
Breakfast had a good selection of cereals and bread/pastries, also would have liked to see more fruit.
will be staying again in march, looking forward to it

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
PSB_General_Manager, General Manager at Toll House Inn, responded to this review, March 7, 2010
Thank you very much for your kind comments, I’m not so sure my reversing was up to much either… It is good to know that you enjoyed your stay.

We’ve looked at the specification for breakfast and we’re now including a fresh fruit bowl everyday for guests to select their choice from.
I look forward to seeing you again in March.

Best wishes
Ian
Scotland
Reviewed February 16, 2010

Stayed 3 nights over Valentine's weekend (£60 B&B per room Bookings.com) . Rooms clean and modern - hotel warm throughout despite the - temp outside. Food excellent - black pudding nibbles with pint of Wainwrights a must. Overall a gem of a hotel in superb location in Lancaster.

Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Lancashire
Reviewed February 15, 2010

Stayed here for two nights 26/27 January. Very modern clean room with a great en-suite. I took my warm PJ's due to previous reviews but didn't need to as the room was absolutely toastie warm. Not sure if heating has been mended or people weren't using it properly. Had a great evening meal with very friendly efficient service. Visited the Castle which was very interesting but the other museums don't open until April. So we will have to go back, which is good news.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Longridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 12, 2010

For the money this is a very nice hotel. Small rooms (we were in room 1) but decent decor and a small but comfy bed.

The Hotel offers free wifi but we discovered that room 1 was the only room that suffered a poor connection. I went down to reception and they offered me a 5m cable so I could still use the internet.

The bar is well layed out and the staff are decent. We'll definately come back if we're in Lancaster again.

One bad point is the lack of parking, we had to park in a car park down the road. But this is not enough to put me off.

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank timmble
Lincs
Reviewed February 1, 2010

Enjoyed a one night stay in a twin room with my daughter. Very comfortable beds and a funky modern bathroom and great TV. We didn't want an English breakfast and the continental breakfast was as expected. Freshly prepared fruit would have been nice but top marks for not using horrid pre-wrapped pats of butter, sachets of sugar and little pots of jam. I love the way this hotel supports local food producers and has a real interest in the provenance of its food and suppliers. We ate in the brasserie in the evening which was good, however, little choice of vegetarian food for my daughter. Mrs Kirkham's Lancashire cheese and onion pie was off the menu leaving the only choice as risotto. I enjoyed my moules marinere. Also PSB - please note that olives need to be served at room temperature and not from the fridge!

£75 per night is a bit steep - around the £60-65 and I would have marked the hotel higher however the car parking was thrown in as free. Little odd grumbles like a towel with two holes in, the caffetiere did'nt work, the room was a bit chilly and the bathroom cold despite us over-riding the temperature control.

• Stayed January 2010
PSB_General_Manager, Manager at Toll House Inn, responded to this review, February 5, 2010
Thank you for your kind comments, I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. You’re right - we love our food and Chef does work hard to showcase the best of the region on our menus.
Your feedback is extremely important and we have investigated the problems you encountered and will make sure we don’t repeat them in the future. Chef is currently working on a revised menu which will include a wider vegetarian and vegan selection too.

I hope we’ll be able to welcome you back to Penny Street Bridge soon.

Best wishes
Ian
England
Reviewed January 2, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for new year's eve and new years day with my boyfriend and overall i enjoyed it. The hotel is in a great location, just a 5 minute walk to the shops and castle and everything is easy to find.

However we were a bit let down by the heating in the room. It was cold and we put the air conditioning unit to the max temp but it kept going on and off and didn't provide much heat at all, i went to bed in my clothes for one night! If this was changed and they had proper heating I would defintely stay there again, or in the summer.

One other thing is the size of the beds, it seemed smaller than a 'normal' double. Me and by boyfriend are average size and we thought the beds were a little small so didn't have a great nights sleep.

Staff were very friendly, didn't try the breakfast as we were not up in time, but the hotel bar was nice and relaxing.

Would only recommend this hotel to a friend in summer months.

A great nearby restaurant if you don't want to eat at the hotel is the gatehouse, literally a 5 min walk if that, delicious food.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple