“Not recommended....”
Review of Toll House Inn

Toll House Inn
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Lancaster
Reviewed November 4, 2013

This is the second time that we have stayed here. The first time was ok, not great but reasonable value for money. The second time was not. Our room was dirty. There was food on the floor, thick dust on the top of the headboard and the bathroom floor was filthy in the corners. My duvet had brown stains on it. I know it is fairly cheap but even so I expected a decent standard of cleanliness. Perhaps we were just unlucky to stay in room 4?! The member of staff who we complained to in the morning said we should have said something that night because they would have moved us to another room because they were virtually empty. So if they are not full it means the cleaners were not over worked and could have cleaned the rooms properly. Given the level of dust it had clearly not been cleaned properly for quite some time. Not recommended at all.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are noisy.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Paul S, General Manager at Toll House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

It seems we failed you on this attempt but to be fair we are never empty in the hotel - we run at a very healthy 70% plus occupancy year round and very rarely have complaints about the standards of cleanliness in our bedrooms. I can only apologise if you feel our standards were not up to scratch this time...

Reviewed October 29, 2013

I had to be in Lancaster for a meeting and so we decided to make a week-end of it. I don't know if it was because it was half-term but we found it very difficult to find anything at a reasonable price.We booked the Penny Bridge on their own website and found a three nights for the price of two deal - this included breakfast. We arrived ok but the traffic in Lancaster was a nightmare. We found the hotel easily enough and were checked in pleasantly and efficiently - and give the flask of fresh milk !

The room, 27, was fairly large and had twin beds that had been joined to provide a king size bed.The room was comfortable,warm, well appointed and tastefully decorated.The bathroom was large and also very tastefully equipped though the hand basin was a triumph of design over function. Despite its size it hardly held any water,the plug didn't fit properly and we lost the soap down the pug hole more than once! However this insignificant probem was the only one we encountered during our stay. Every member of staff we encountered in the hotel or in the bar was unfailingly cheerful polite and helpful.The bed was very comfortable and we didn't hear any sound during the night either from the street or from other guests. Breakfast was beautifully cooked and presented.We had a drink or two in the bar and whilst we didn't eat there the food looked very good and was reasonably priced. The hotel is ideally sited for visiting the town and we would happily stay there again and would willingly recommend it to others

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Grechophile

Thanks for your review - I'm so glad that you enjoyed your three nights for two offer - we have many more all year round, just go to the website, sign up for the emails and we'll keep you udated when other promotions and offers are available. Ps. The food is very good............

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Stayed here on my own for one night, and thought it was a very decent place. II was given a warm welcome, my room was slightly oddly shaped, but then I suppose the hotel is on a bridge- sort of! The place was clean and totally comfortable. The road outside is busy so it's not the quiestest location but it didn't bother me at all. Breakfast was good, although the scrambled eggs were extremely dry. I'm not one to complain though- my wife would have sent it back! All in all perfectly fine and recommended.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Johno2go

I think your wife would have been weel within her rights.....sorry about the scrambled eggs but we're pleased that we ticked all your other boxes on your stay

Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is very nice. I have stayed twice. The staff are very nice and very helpful. The bar has great beer (and is camra endorsed) - try the Lancaster bomber. Breakfasts are very good - big bits of eggy bread with bacon or eggs Benedict. The bar also has a good restaurant for the evening. The decor is pretty funky and quite modern even although it id an old traditional pub. The downsides are that the beds are small and the rooms facing the street can be noisy. I would stay again though especially if on my own where the bed size is not such an issue.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Many thanks for your review and your kind words. As regards the bed size we do have quite a few King sized beds - please ask next time you're staying and we'll do our best to make sure you have a comfortable night's sleep...

Reviewed October 18, 2013

Had to stay here for work once enjoyed the stay so much ask to be put up here again the best steak pudding I've ever had. Although the milk they gave me the 2nd time had gone off they apologised and replaced it straight away. They don't have parking but if you stand I front of the hotel there is a council carpark north east of you only £1.40 over night.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

HI. Really glad that you chose to make a return visit to us, looking forward to a third time?

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Second visit. Still an enjoyable stay. Rooms are nicely decorated, comfortable and well maintained. We were right opposite the Vodka Revolution and above the road junction but the double glazing meant we heard neither of these.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Inns_0f_Character, Paul Spencer - Manager at Toll House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

After a review like that you'd be more than welcome to come a third time... thank you!

Kind regards,
Paul Spencer - Manager and all the team at Penny Street Bridge.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

The PENNY STREET BRIDGE Hotel is a delightful small hotel in the heart of Lancaster in northern England. It has clean, comfortable and well furnished rooms. Most are uniquely laid out with each having its own design & character. There are no “cookie-cutter” rooms here. Each room makes one feel at home. And I did, as I will explain later. For the evenings PENNY STREET has a cool pub which has a large selection of ales, beers & wines as well as a food menu a cut above most pubs I know . But the thing about PENNY STREET that I will remember and be grateful for is the kindness with which the staff treated me for a week last month when I experienced some very difficult circumstances.
In October my wife and I were traveling through England’s Lake District about seventy-five miles north of Lancaster. Late one Saturday afternoon my wife fell and broke her hip. We went by ambulance to the Royal Lancaster Infirmary where she was told she required a hip replacement. By the time she was settled for night it was around 11:00 PM. I had no luggage and no place to stay and I had to leave the hospital. I walked out onto the dark streets of a strange city at the middle of the night dressed in grubby hiking clothes, looking for any hotel. About one-half mile from the hospital I found the PENNY STREE BRIDGE Hotel. I was elated until I went in an learned they were full. ( I was later to learn that this is such an excellent hotel they are full almost every night.) This is where PENNY STREET showed their class. Even thought I looked like a bum with no luggage, and a Yank to boot, Holly, the night manager, took it upon herself to start calling other hotels around the city to find me a room and she was successful. Holly then called me a cab to take me there. In addition she said that the next night she could give me a room for two nights AND I would be first of the list for any subsequent cancelations. Although, I might have to change my room in that event. I stayed one week. That was great with me because the PENNY STREET was within walking distance of the hospital. At that point I went from being homeless in a strange city to having a home with some very nice people. I did change rooms a couple of times but it was worth it. I thank Nicola, Holly, and.the entire staff of THE PENNY STREET BRIDGE for treating me with extraordinary kindness.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JJPSCITUATE

It means a great deal to all the team at Penny Street Bridge that you have written this review. All the guys were only too happy to help and it’s wonderful that you didn’t have to worry about anything other than your wife during your unfortunately imposed stay with us. Holly, Nicola and all the team wish her a continued recovery and would be more than happy to welcome you back if you ever made a return trip. Thank you.

Kind regards,
Paul Spencer - Manager and all the team at Penny Street Bridge.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lancaster
Lancaster House
Travelodge Lancaster Central Hotel
Thurnham Hall
Thurnham Hall
#1 of 1 in Thurnham

Been to Toll House Inn? Share your experiences!