“PENNY STREET BRIDGE HOTEL FIVE STAR EXPERIENCE”
Review of Toll House Inn

Toll House Inn
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Lancaster
Reviewed October 13, 2013

The PENNY STREET BRIDGE Hotel is a delightful small hotel in the heart of Lancaster in northern England. It has clean, comfortable and well furnished rooms. Most are uniquely laid out with each having its own design & character. There are no “cookie-cutter” rooms here. Each room makes one feel at home. And I did, as I will explain later. For the evenings PENNY STREET has a cool pub which has a large selection of ales, beers & wines as well as a food menu a cut above most pubs I know . But the thing about PENNY STREET that I will remember and be grateful for is the kindness with which the staff treated me for a week last month when I experienced some very difficult circumstances.
In October my wife and I were traveling through England’s Lake District about seventy-five miles north of Lancaster. Late one Saturday afternoon my wife fell and broke her hip. We went by ambulance to the Royal Lancaster Infirmary where she was told she required a hip replacement. By the time she was settled for night it was around 11:00 PM. I had no luggage and no place to stay and I had to leave the hospital. I walked out onto the dark streets of a strange city at the middle of the night dressed in grubby hiking clothes, looking for any hotel. About one-half mile from the hospital I found the PENNY STREE BRIDGE Hotel. I was elated until I went in an learned they were full. ( I was later to learn that this is such an excellent hotel they are full almost every night.) This is where PENNY STREET showed their class. Even thought I looked like a bum with no luggage, and a Yank to boot, Holly, the night manager, took it upon herself to start calling other hotels around the city to find me a room and she was successful. Holly then called me a cab to take me there. In addition she said that the next night she could give me a room for two nights AND I would be first of the list for any subsequent cancelations. Although, I might have to change my room in that event. I stayed one week. That was great with me because the PENNY STREET was within walking distance of the hospital. At that point I went from being homeless in a strange city to having a home with some very nice people. I did change rooms a couple of times but it was worth it. I thank Nicola, Holly, and.the entire staff of THE PENNY STREET BRIDGE for treating me with extraordinary kindness.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JJPSCITUATE
Inns_0f_Character, Paul Spencer - Manager at Toll House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

It means a great deal to all the team at Penny Street Bridge that you have written this review. All the guys were only too happy to help and it’s wonderful that you didn’t have to worry about anything other than your wife during your unfortunately imposed stay with us. Holly, Nicola and all the team wish her a continued recovery and would be more than happy to welcome you back if you ever made a return trip. Thank you.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

We visited Lancaster for a few days and were recommended to The Penny Street Bridge Hotel and it was well worth the visit. Our room was very well decorated and the little extras of a variety of coffee, chocolate, tea, bottled water and surprisingly biscuits was very welcome. We were also surprised that we were given flasks of fresh milk, which we'd never had before on any other hotel visit. The room and bathroom were cleaned to a very high standard, which in my opinion is a must. The bar staff/breakfast staff were very efficient and friendly. I would highly recommend this hotel to my family and friends and I look forward to staying there again in the future. Very well done to all concerned.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks for the future recommendations - it's the small details that we provide that make the big difference.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

This hotel is very nice and clean. (You wouldn't expect if you are used to London average standards). The pub downstairs serves good food! Rich breakfast, very nice staff. Also very central. Carpet everywhere though! It would be much nicer to have wooden flooring. The region, close by the lakes, is wonderful.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Thanks for your positive review - it's a shame that a lack of wooden flooring cost us two stars...!

Reviewed September 27, 2013

A quick business trip with this hotel advised. This is a small on-street hotel, part of a chain. Very central, close to restaurants etc. Prompt, friendly and helpful reception, free and no-hassle Wi-Fi. My bedroom was smart and modern (if a little compact), good comfortable bed, all usual amenities. Very modern bathroom, great power shower. My only complaint, the basin tap was so arty I could hardly figure out how to work it. Full English breakfast in the adjacent bar was delicious. Extremely good value. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Colin F

We think we're the best choice for business travellers in Lancaster and it's great that you agree with us... thanks for the positive review.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Perfectly located (handy for buses, and just across the road from the canal cruise station) period building with really pleasant staff, great service and a lovely room. Less than £4 in a taxi from the train station. Did exactly what it says on the tin - we were specific at the time of booking about a twin room not too much walking distance from the lift and that's exactly what was waiting for us. The lift is silent, the beds are great and we slept really well. The room was lovely and of a good size for two people, and the secondary glazing meant very little outside noise. A couple of minor noise occurrences within the hotel but they were insignificant (noise from water pipes in adjacent rooms running showers - of short duration and common in any period property, and the usual noise of people coming and going from other rooms, again completely expectable in a hotel and in no way a disturbance). The AC worked well and we could get the room temperature exactly as we wanted it. Tiny issue with the bathroom floor but this was noted for addressing immediately we let staff know. The bathroom is not a uniform square (period building again - perfectly in order) and Kate Moss I aint (!) but there' was still plenty of space and a good-sized drench shower which was lovely. The food was excellent and from a wide ranging but well-sized menu, there 6 real ales on which were all great and everything was served by knowledgeable staff to whom nothing seemed to be too much bother - in fact, it's worth saying again that the staff definitely shine here. Another thumbs up from us for the fresh milk flasks, and the chef is 3 for 3 with perfectly poached eggs! Everyone was really helpful with local gen for places to go and how best to get there. A joy to stay in, particularly as this was our first visit to Lancaster. We will be back, and it will be to stay here - excellent.

Room Tip: Room 8 was on the first floor one room away from the lift and looks out over the back (ie not over t...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank FeesonsTart

Would you like a job as our copy writer for our next brochure? Many thanks for your detailed and wholly representative review about Penny Street. We aim to please and seem to have ticked your boxes this time!

Reviewed September 7, 2013

I was disappointed in this place - it has good ratings and is in Sawdays guide. The room was nicely decorated but a bit cramped with not much space to get around furniture and bathroom also quite awkward to go in and out of. Most disappointing was the service at breakfast though. I was asked if I wanted tea and coffee and then just left, I eventually had to ask if I could order food.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

I'm sorry that we didn't live up to your expectations - we do have one or two quirky rooms due to the original layout of the listed building but you can always request a larger room when booking.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Our few days in Lancaster was very enjoyable and staying at Penny Street Bridge was a really good experience. The staff were efficient, friendly, helpful and knowledgeable about the area. The food was excellent, particularly the large choice available at breakfast

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ella0411

Thanks for your great all round review - hopefully your breakfast kept you going throughout the day!

Paul Spencer - Manager and all the team at Penny Street Bridge.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lancaster
Lancaster House
Travelodge Lancaster Central Hotel
Thurnham Hall
Thurnham Hall
#1 of 1 in Thurnham

Been to Toll House Inn? Share your experiences!