“A Wonderful Experience”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Lancaster
San Antonio, Texas
“A Wonderful Experience”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

While traveling to London, our group stayed at this hotel and we found it to be such a delightful experience. The room I stayed in was spacious and well maintained. The restroom was clean and odor-free.
Our group had dinner there. Although we had to select from a pre-selected group-menu, all selections were tried by members of our group and all selections were rated from good to excellent.
All the staff members were courteous and all conducted themselves professionally.
Future travelers should find this hotel very comforting and well worth the stay. Enjoy.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Inns_0f_Character, Paul Spencer - Manager at Toll House Inn, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Now these are the reviews I like replying to - it just remains for me to say thank you for your comments, much appreciated by all the team.

Paul Spencer - Manager and all the team at Penny Street Bridge.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
shrewsbury england
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Arrived Saturday 25th, checked in and as it happens checked out by the same professional and pleasant young lady. Having stayed there previously, I noticed the rooms were looking tired, scuffs on the walls and skirting and, in the bathroom of room 10, tiles needed grouting. But not a problem, but what was a problem was the noise in the early hours of the morning, from people shouting, running up and down the corridor, televisions blaring out. So rather than ring the night porter we put ear plugs in. Then at around 6.45am/ 7.00am I was woken by loud thumping music. I rang reception to find out what an earth was going on and I happened to mention the noise we had had to put up with in the early hours. The person I spoke to told me that they had residents who had come in late...so does that mean you can make as much noise as you like? Bearing in mind that we had been let in by the night porter at 1.00am, but didn't feel the need to scream, shout and run up and down the corridor. The music, he said was their fault, it was on a timer and someone had failed to turn the volume down from the previous evening. So all in all a pretty dreadful stay at the Penny Street Bridge.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jackmac1
I must apologise for the fact that your stay was less than enjoyable due to the unruly nature of a one off booking by other guests. If you would like to get in touch with me directly at the hotel I'm sure we can come to an agreement about how best to turn your experience around.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 19, 2013

The situation I found myself in when I stayed here was similar to that of a couple experiencing an unplanned pregnancy - A period of total panic and stress, followed by sheer joy. I only ended up staying in this hotel after being overbooked by the Travelodge (who arranged this stay as an alternative) and, to be quite honest, i'm glad I ended up here. I was in room 11 and it seems small at first glance, but it's comfortable and has everything you need. Bathroom was small but perfectly planned and the overall decor was much nicer than I expected from somewhere with an available room on a Saturday night. My only gripe would be breakfast - the service was lovely, the bar is beautiful (perhaps the 40s decor and Dambuster celebration bunting skewed my opinion somewhat, because i'm a sucker for vintage style!) but the full english was a little mediocre. Nothing worth complaining about just not the best i've ever had.

Highly recommended especially for longer stays - i'd have loved to stay another night! My only recommendation would be to either research transport options or reserve a space in advance as parking isn't great.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank AbiHillModel
There seems to be a thread here - i'm glad we could provide you with such a great experience after having been let down by the Travelodge.

windlesham
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We paid less than a travel lodge, the room number 6 was large enought and spacious. With a listed waderobe. It overlooks the main street and revolution night club. We were aware of them kicking out so if you are particularly light sleepers I would suggest avoiding the rooms on this side.

All the staff we met were polite and very helpful.

The room is clean, well appointed and with a good shower. The bed had lovely fresh white linen and we had a really good nights sleep.

We booked breakfast for £6.00 a head as we arrived, it was better than our local fegos. Tea, coffee, fresh juices, toast, I had eggs Benedict, my other half had a full english with extra black pudding my daughter had the sausage and bacon barm cake- which was monumentus.

We will be back.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the canal are quieter. Make sure you book breakfast.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LouGlenister
It's good to know that we can provide such excellent service and breakfast in a beautiful building for less than the Travelodge.

Paul Spencer - Manager and all the team at Penny Street Bridge
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We stayed in mid-April for a wedding and we got a lovely, huge room with a big size bathroom (room 27). The room was clean and it had all the essentials (kettle, iron etc). There were however some minor issues, for instance the "king size" bed was two twin beds joined together. It didn't bother me as much but my husband did not like it. The towel rail heater did not work.

Breakfast was included and I have to say that we both weren't impressed. For the price of the breakfast (£9.99) we really expected better quality bread and sausages, fluffier scrambled eggs and baked beans that are not dry as though they have been microwaved one time too many. The coffee was also a disappointment. Not in terms of quality but the person filled the cafetiere put way too much coffee in and not enough water and turned a wonderful Atkinson's blend into a dark bitter mess.

That said, we can't fault the team for outstanding service. They were so friendly and accommodating that we returned in May for another stay..which was equally fantastic.

At check-in don't forget to ask for milk for your teas and coffees and you will be handed a little flask.

Room Tip: Room 27 which has a tub and over head shower is bigger than Room 21.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
It seems a shame that we let your otherwise excellent stay down with an average breakfast experience. Those issures have most certainly been addressed. It's great that the team more than made up for it.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We stayed there for a night at the end of our holiday. We were pleased with the location and impressed by the standard of the decor and how well the property has been modernised, given the original building must be at least a century old.

Location is very central which is convenient, but it does mean that it can be a little noisy if you have a room around the front like we did (and you stay on a Friday night). I suspect we were given this room as it was slightly bigger and we had a toddler with us so I can't criticise. Only other issue was that the room was pretty warm and the A/C struggled to cool the room down.

But these were only minor issues - the service was great, the pub downstairs has some great beers, the staff were really helpful (particularly when it came to making the booking) and the breakfast was great. Plus little touches like fresh milk being provided for your room are noticed and welcome - it shows they are trying to go the extra mile.

All in all a really nice place, well worth a visit.

Room Tip: Perhaps a room around the back?
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank joem74
So glad you enjoyed your stay and that the staff made you feel so welcome and that you enjoyed our range of real ales. We may have more choice by the next time you visit.

Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Enjoyed a two night stay here whilst attending a wedding. Booked room only with a very good advance rate - added breakfast on arrival, glad we did! Room & bedding fresh & clean. Staff friendly & very helpful - in fact the best reception staff we have encountered for a while. Car parking nearby seemed OK. Easy walk into the town.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Inns_0f_Character, Paul Spencer - Manager at Toll House Inn, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you for your review and I'm so glad we could make what I imagine was a lovely weekend even better for you! We will pass your compliments on to our reception staff, I'm sure they will be pleased to have made such a good impression on you.

Paul Spencer - Manager and all the team at Penny Street Bridge
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lancaster
Lancaster House
Travelodge Lancaster Central Hotel
Thurnham Hall
Thurnham Hall
#1 of 1 in Thurnham

Been to Toll House Inn? Share your experiences!