“One of the best places to eat in lancaster”
Review of The Gatehouse - CLOSED

The Gatehouse
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I have been to gatehouse numerous times in the past year and the food has always been awesome. Their stake is the best in lancaster. They have a cozy bar with couches and will seat you there before they take you in for eating.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

Been to the Gatehouse many times for lunch and dinner.

Good variety on menu. Food excellent. Staff very good but sometimes overworked. Occasionally noisy but go early before students arrive. Good offers. We like it.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

table for 12 of us was booked for 1830 and meals pre-ordered . Not seated until 1700 . Starters were average ; I've had better greek salads from Morrisons salad bar

Main course ; In spite of pre-ordering the veg option "wasn't available" and was replaced with a lukewarm veg crumble ; not much crumble and even less veg ; main courses arrived in slow-slow time over about 10 mins ; by the time we all got served the meals were cold and so was the veg (undercooked red onions with skins attached with some limp carrots and broccolli )

Puddings ? a twenty minute wait to order and another 20 mins wait ; I asked the waitress to hurry it along and suddenly it appeared ; mine was a store-bought cheese cake

The decor and atmosphere was meant to be mediterranean ; it certainly had that slow mediterranean approach but without the warmth

I do not recommend this place

We didn't get out until 2100 ; it was terrible

1  Thank jim b
Reviewed August 31, 2012

A friend and I enjoyed a lovely meal at The Gatehouse yesterday evening. We took advantage of their early bird offer (2 course for £12.95 I think) and were delighted to note that menu was varied, quite innovative and reasonably extensive.
I greatly enjoyed grilled haloumi to start and my main course of onion Tarte Tatin with Puy lentils was delightful. My friend's pate was tasty and home-made and he raved about his pork fillet served with a black pudding/potato 'stack'.
Service was very good with all the staff members eager to ensure that our dining experience was enjoyable.
This restaurant has been serving consistently good food for a number of years now and it richly deserves its positive reputation locally.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

Ate here on 21/8/12 after being recommended by a friend, the waitress was very friendly and the starters and mains were cooked to perfection, only thing to pick out is the mushroom onion and tomato garnish for my steak cost £3.50 for 1 flat mushroom a bit of fried onion and a roasted tomato which was extremely overpriced, other than that it is the best restaurant in Lancaster and morecambe and I will be returning