“New chef not up to scratch sadly”
Review of Mung Mee Thai Restaurant - CLOSED

Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“New chef not up to scratch sadly”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Mung Mee was my favourite restaurant in Lancaster, sadly it has definitely faded foodwise. Just ordered my regular takeaway from Mung Mee and it was pretty well inedible. My green curry floated with oil on top, the taste was not great either. Phoned up and they were very nice and sent a different dish, which unfortunately when it arrived was only a little better. Apparently a new chef they said. So nice service but near on 20 pounds for takeaways that we only ate because we were so hungry is still not great and has left a sour taste in this ex devotee. Need to find somewhere else for my birthday this year damn it.

Thornton Cleveleys, United Kingdom
“Good, better than "Average" but not "Very Good" and I've still got reservations”
Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

Went with my husband for lunch between Christmas & New Year. I last went in May and said I didn't think I'd go back but seeing the good reviews decided to give it another chance.
Had the Tom Yum soup again, this one was excellent, no finely chopped lemon grass just slices you could avoid and wonderfully tasty. We then had the mixed starter which was enough for four people. 4 really large chicken satay, 6 pork ribs in a very nice sauce and 4 Thai sausages. Loved the satay and the ribs but really didn't like the sausages, tasted like they were "off", I'm not saying they were because I think it was just the seasoning, but it wasn't nice.
Our main course was one of the Chef's Specials, stir fried king prawns with chilli and coriander root. What came was battered king prawns in a sort of chilli sweet and sour sauce not what we expected at all. I'm not keen on sweet and sour sauce so it's difficult to be truly objective but it was horrendously sweet and I didn't like the thin soggy batter on the prawns. It's a pity about the main course because we had really enjoyed the food until that point.
While we were dining they had a large delivery and everything had to be carried through the restaurant into the kitchen, sacks of flour and rice, huge cans of oil, boxes for takeaway etc etc etc, it went on for ages. Not the best for ambience!
Will we go back? I'm not sure, maybe. By the way, the staff are lovely.

1 Thank Nyn2010
Walney
“Not for vegetarians”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I have been to Mung Mee many times and it was once exceptionally good. Unfortunately it has gone downhill. Last time I was there I ordered mock duck and got real duck, this following a lengthy conversation with a member of staff about what did and did not have fish paste and oil in. All very strange and not pleasing for a vegetarian of 20 years. Very disappointing all around.
Looking at a poor lobster destined for the pot is bad taste too (in my opinion).
If you have an allergy or preference for what you will and wont eat I would avoid it!

• Visited December 2012
Lancaster uk
“Lovely meal, as usual.”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

We ate at Mung Mee at the weekend and had a lovely meal. We eat here often and are never disappointed. We also use their takeaway service and this too is excellent. Some of the staff seem new, I wonder if the place had changed hands but, if so, the standard has remained high.

• Visited November 2012
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“mung delicious”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Excellent food in pleasent surroundings with authentic menu and very good staff , food was very fresh and very well prepared and well presented

Visited September 2012