“Great Full English breakfast”

The Sun Cafe Restaurant
Ranked #23 of 199 Restaurants in Lancaster
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Contemporary, Cafe, Fusion
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Only ever had full english here and it never disappoints! They are acommodating with swapping things around which is great because i don't like bpudding. Nice clean toilets.

Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

Have been an intermittent customer of The Sun Cafe for a number of years and have always found it to be a much more relaxing place to have lunch than at any of those copy cat coffee chains which seem to dominate the surrounding area. The staff are usually very polite and efficient, particularly the Northern Irish girl who always provides service with a great smile. I do wish, however, that the menu would sometimes offer something different. Its been practically the same for several years now. Indeed, I don't even have to look at it to make a choice! Another irritation is the fact that should you turn up there at say 2.30pm you will feel as if you're being rushed out, as they insist you sit up in the top section whist they set up the tables for the evening in the lower section. In fact, they hurry around you in the top section too, making up the tables all around you as you eat. It really does make for an uncomfortable environment. My husband and I had turned up for a light lunch at 2.20pm yesterday (they close at 3pm) And as expected we were told we couldnt sit in the lower section, only the upper. We ordered eggs on toast and a fruit juice, finishing these by 2.50pm. No sooner had we finished than we were asked to move to another table so they could make ours up for the evening! There were several other customers still eating at other tables at this point so we politely refused, saying that we would be leaving shortly anyway. Felt really offended by this very poor level of customer service. Lancaster has a shortage of decent independent cafes and so I'll probably return at some point...but Im not in any rush!

2  Thank UkWelsh
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We recently had 40 guests to the Sun Cafe for an intimate after registry office meal.
The place looked great - they had gone to a lot of trouble with flowers and decorations.
The staff were friendly and helpful.
The food was terrific.
All in all a wonderful experience - highly recommended!

1  Thank Suzanne K
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I had a wonderful meal for my birthday in the Sun Cafe- the staff were friendly and helpful, the decor is lovely and the varied food choice was great. Finding seafood in Lancaster is not easy but the Sun Cafe is an exception- we had octopus, prawns, salmon carpaccio- all cooked to an excellent standard , really fresh and with some interesting flavour combinations. I wold highly recommend. We had a cheese board dessert and, although I love cheese, I rarely order the cheese board because in restaurants they are normally disappointing. This was one of the best I have ever had- great choice of local cheeses, came with beautiful cheese biscuits and honey. This was one of the best meals I have eaten in Lancaster!

Reviewed July 26, 2013

It's not really hidden of course; it's just up a small side street which is why I've never seen it before on visits to Lancaster. We visited at 8.00 on a warm Wednesday night. We were the only two diners and were seated at a comfortable table by the window by a friendly and charming Italian waitress. The menu was not overcrowded, which I think is generally a good thing, and yet covered a pretty attractive range of different types of dish, including vegetarian options. We were surprised by being served an unadvertised hors d'ouvre of an ice-cold (because it had an ice-cube in it!), spicy little soup, rather like a dhaal. There was also an interesting 'today's specials' board, from which I chose a vegetable, bacon and rosemary soup which was served with a slice of toast on which had been drizzled with oil and oil and marjoram and which was delicious. I followed this with a pork loin fillet which was tender and flavoursome and was surrounded by a very good, fruity sauce. My wife had sea-bass in a lemon sauce, which she also pronounced to be good. The menu includes side-dishes as an extra, but these weren't needed as our meal was served with a bowl of excellent roast veg. I finished with a coffee and something (Bailey's?) creme brulee, the coffee being served in a little glass and presumably intended to be poured over. I just drank mine. All the dishes were inventive, well made and beautifully presented. My only misgiving is the wine, which I only tried by the glass but was simply and disappointingly not up to the food, although I wouldn't describe it as overpriced. There was a wine on a specials board which was Australian and Chapel Hill, but there was no description of either the grape or even the colour, which leads me to suspect that this is, how can I put it? ...not their area of expertise. If the wine isn't important to you then my advice is don't worry about it and go to enjoy the service, the presentation and the food.. And even if it is important to you my advice remains the same.

1  Thank Max J