“Fabulous food and staff”
Review of Pizza Margherita

Pizza Margherita
Ranked #19 of 230 Restaurants in Lancaster
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 13, 2019 via mobile

Absolutely love the food here. The pizza dough is fresh and tastes amazing, the pasta dishes are equally as good. We’ve never had bad food here
Our youngest daughter is intolerant to dairy and they catered for her even with dairy free ice cream

Date of visit: February 2019

Reviewed April 12, 2019

Pizza Margherita used to be somewhere to go and it would always be good. Lately it has been poor to ok at best. I think when the menu changed it became more limited and just not as good :(

Date of visit: April 2019
2  Thank restaurantcritic41
Reviewed March 23, 2019 via mobile

Stopped here for a very late lunch after wandering around Lancaster.
Had a quick meal of dough sticks & garlic butter to start, then a margherita pizza and a cardinale (ham, pineapple, mozzarella, tomato) pizza, and soft drinks. It was fairly quiet, staff were very pleasant and friendly.
Pizzas were lovely!

Reviewed March 22, 2019

My husband and I previously gave Pizza Margherita an excellent review - posted in my husband’s name on 27 October. So it is sad that this review is not so good. This time we felt that the meal was not worth the money charged for several reasons. I told the manager we were unhappy and my husband made it clear the meal was not worth what we we were charged and requested a reduction. In the end I paid so that we could leave and hopefully never go back. The attitude of management to the complaint was not conciliatory. I hope that management now read this review and act on it rather than merely offering more excuses. Until the restaurant fixes their issues, I suggest any one with food intolerances chooses a different place to eat.

The restaurant was only half full on the Friday night in question, yet service was appalling. It took ages for them to bring our pizzas and they forgot to bring the olives as a starter. I’d ordered a gluten free pizza base in advance (they cannot do gluten free bases unless pre-ordered). The only gluten free starter I could order was olives. The waitress’s suggestion was to remove sauce and dough balls from the mushroom starter, which would leave me paying £5-75 for a plate of mushrooms! Reluctantly we ordered olives, but the waitress forgot to bring them.

When we complained about our missing olives the waitress said the pizzas were in the oven, but she could take them out to give her time to serve the olives. We felt this would impact on flavour and possibly cause food poisoning. At this point we were very hungry as we had waited so long and so we asked the waitress to just serve the pizzas ASAP. Again it took a while and so my husband called the waitress over to to order another beer. My husband’s regular pizza was good, if somewhat small. However, my gluten free base did not taste properly cooked and the consistency was wrong. Last time we had eaten here the GF pizza was lovely so I was disappointed. We ordered a gluten free pudding and this was genuinely nice. However by that point the meal had been ruined. We were more than happy to pay for the one good pizza and pudding plus two out of three of the very over priced drinks (the third one would not have been necessary had they served our order more quickly), but we did not feel the meal was worth £45. We did pay the full amount, but that was only so that we could leave.

To management, I suggest you get some gluten free starters on your menu. If you need inspiration look at Bella Italia’s menu. As a minimum, antipasti, melon and prosciutto or avocado and prawns. However, it is fairly easy to pre-prepare and freeze some gluten free garlic bread or have some gluten free rolls in reserve to serve with salad. There is no need to serve everything with dough balls! Secondly, please train your staff to handle complaints in a more conciliatory manner and to defuse problems before they escalate. Comments such as ‘we didn’t charge you for the olives’ when you forgot to serve them and ‘we can explain everything that went wrong’ do not help. Neither does claiming you are very busy when the restaurant is clearly half empty. If you have forgotten some of the order then may be some small compensation could be offered before the complaint escalates. Had the waitress offered the forgotten olives immediately with an apology and an offer to not charge for them, then things would have been different. Please stop making excuses and learn from your mistakes.

2  Thank Sue M
Reviewed March 10, 2019 via mobile

We ate here Sunday evening. We had the mushroom starter to share & each had a pizza for main course. All great! The staff are wonderful & the wine list great too. Ciao