“Very nice meal”

Ranked #15 of 231 Restaurants in Lancaster
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Sultan of Lancaster immediately makes you feel like you’re in for a treat as soon as you enter. Housed in a disused church on Brock Street in the city centre, not far from Lancaster Cathedral, this suave Indian eatery sets the scene with beautiful pillars, detailed carvings and warm lighting. Next comes the feast – and it sure befits a king. Proudly halal, family-friendly and sensitive to varying tastebuds, Sultan of Lancaster lays out an array of stunning Indian and international starters to begin with, perfect for sharing among a group. For the main event, treat yourself to something new with Sultan of Lancaster’s special dishes, such as a super spicy salmon masala balanced with fragrant herbs and bright citrus, or tuck into the Sultan Mix for a carnivorous carousel of succulent lamb chops, seekh kebab, chicken tikka and tandoori.
Reviewed June 9, 2019 via mobile

I came here Friday night and it was a very good experience. The staff were extremely polite and helpful. The menu was varied but not too big. I had a lamb karai with keema rice, it was a good portion and I took some home , the only thing I would say was there was not that much meat in it , the flavours very nice though. Another thing if you like a alcoholic drink with your meal this is not the place but they have a good variety of soft drinks.

Date of visit: June 2019
1  Thank slocker1

Reviewed June 5, 2019

Been coming here on occasional visits to Lancaster for nearly 30 years and never yet had a bad experience. Nice staff, courteous and welcoming. Excellent food (tasty, looks nice, good portions, interesting items). And a fair price.

Also, no sign of something that really bugs me elsewhere. Over the years I've had "bad Indian" at other establishments around the country where the chemicals they're using to add colour or flavour give me sleep problems afterwards. I've never had this reaction at The Sultan, which tells me what I'm eating is good stuff and the genuine article.

Highly recommended, in short.

1  Thank John J
Reviewed May 26, 2019 via mobile

Firstly be aware that this is not a licensed restaurant (not mentioned anywhere that I could see on the website...) which wouldn’t be a problem except for the prices of the soft drinks which is far too expensive!!
Food was good and the service was good.
Shame to see so many people walking out when they found that it was not licensed( due to it being a former church apparently)
Nice location but it’s missing a trick with the lack of a beer with what is a good curry.

Reviewed May 15, 2019 via mobile

Indian is defo my favourite.. tried the sultan with my partner and we both really enjoyed it. We got the mixed grill for starters which was really delicious with a good variety. For mains we tried the prawns dish and the garlic chicken. Both were amazing! Flavoured with so many spices, giving us the full Indian dining experience.
The service was really good, felt very welcome. Although it was busy, the staff were very friendly, especially helping me choose what to get as everything sounded delicious!
And the place itself is beautiful. Couldn’t help resist but take a pic of the ceiling which left me in awe!

I shall defo be coming back as I have raved about the sultan to many friends and family!

3  Thank AlisonnP9
Reviewed May 15, 2019 via mobile

Went here on a date night with the mrs and the food was outstanding. Highly recommend the Prawn curry if you like spices. 10/10 for customer service will definitely come here again for freshly prepared authentic Indian food.

1  Thank JohnW5244