The Sun Hotel
$55
  • Beachfront
Headway Hotel(Morecambe)
Priceline
All reviewsthe publuxury double roomsecure parkinggreat beerdvd playercar parknoise from the streetbusy barreal aleground coffeeno liftwell stocked bareggs benedictbars and restaurantsbreakfast was excellenttrain stationtop floor
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Read some great reviews about this hotel so decided to give it a try. We were SO disappointed. Staff seemed to be going through the motions, no one seemed to be running the show. Our room had a bad smell although clean on the surface. The worst bit was the tea and offer facilities, little tins with ground coffee, tea bags and sugar in, all loose. We prefer packaged products so that w know no one else has been angling them! I made two cups of tea only to find that one of the bags was a camomile (mixed in with normal tea bags) . Breakfast ok, no one to welcome us, had to just get on with the self service till someone appeared to ask if we wanted cooked breakfast, which we declined. No Internet connection upstairs although hotel was publicised as free Internet throughout. I wouldn't want to pay full price for this hotel/pub and think its more worthy of 3 stars than 4. Only good point is central location oh and a comfy bed.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Amanda K
Reviewed June 16, 2013

My husband booked this as a surprise for our anniversary, so I had no idea I was going until 2 days before. When he said it was a pub/hotel I though great just what I want to stay in a grotty pub. I was wrong. It is in a great location 2 minutes walk from all the shops. We stayed in room 15 which was gorgeous. It had a huge bed with a partition wall which had a huge stand alone bath on the other side of the wall, plus a sitting area. There were sweets left in a dish for you to help yourselves and a bathroom with a very large shower in it. The room was massive and very comfortable. As well as having 2 TV's (one facing the bed and one in the sitting area), it had a CD player and some CD's and a DVD player with some dvd's to watch. It was a little noisy but it's a pub what do you expect we certainly had no complaints.
My husband said the beer was great and the pub was packed all night. Lovely Hotel in a fabulous location. The breakfast was very tasty, and there was loads to eat.
If I was to have 1 quibble, it would be that they stop serving food at 7pm on Saturdays. I understand why they do because it gets so busy and they don't need to, we were looking forward to going down to the bar and having some of the yummy food on offer when we found out. We were a little disappointed but apart from that it was fabulous. The staff were all friendly and helpful and I would recommend this Hotel

Room Tip: We had room 15 which is on the front of the Hotel. It is huge and is like 3 rooms in one. It had a sitting area, bed and partition with a huge bath plus separate bathroom.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night at the weekend, having stayed many years ago and loved it then. A lovely hotel, great rooms with massive comfy bed. Excellent breakfast. Would definitely recommend.

Great service in particular from the girl who checked us in (don't know her name, but she was young with long dark hair) who swapped our room for us on check in to ensure we had a bath in the room.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Having a 14 month old baby who sleeps from 730pm, we decided to pay extra at The Sun Hotel to stay in its 'suite' so that we could have a separate area in which to talk or watch TV while our child slept. What we got was one room with a sofa and armchairs in it, not exactly a suite in the traditional sense of the Having a 14 month old baby who sleeps from 730pm, we decided to pay extra at The Sun Hotel to stay in its 'suite' so that we could have a separate area in which to talk or watch TV while our child slept. What we got was one room with a sofa and armchairs in it, not exactly a suite in the traditional sense of the word. As if to reinforce the notion of a suite, however, there were two TVs in the room and the hotel had taken the fashionable step of installing a roll top bath behind the bed, albeit partitioned off. Having re-examined the website, it does refer to the room having a separate seating area but be warned: it is definitely one room and the fact we had to whisper from 730pm is testimony to that.
Having reached the hotel after six hours driving we chose not to complain about what seemed like misleading advertising. We couldn't help but notice though that the website also alluded to bowls of fruit and bowls of sweets. In reality, this amounted to one kiwi and one plum plus a few boiled sweets. However, or us, this was not a big deal. Obviously the guests before us had an orange as part of their 'fruit bowl' as the peel was still in the bin in the room.
We chose to have dinner at the hotel after our long drive. This too, while of fair quality, was quite disappointing. I had the haddock which was served with a good poached egg and spinach but really substandard mash...Smash? My husband had a surf and turf burger which at £12, one would expect a quality product but when I ordered at the bar, I wasn't asked how it ought to be cooked and the beef pattie was pretty small. Not really worth the premium price.
In terms of our night's sleep, the bed was comfortable and the temperature of the room was good. However, we could hear the bass beat of music of nearby clubs or from the downstairs bar which made it hard to drop off.
Finally, we were asked to pre-order our breakfast which I always find annoying. We weren't allowed to order their large breakfast, having to keep it to a maximum of five items. Also, you had to state which time you wanted your breakfast which didn't leave much room for unforeseen circumstances. To be fair, the breakfasts were ready when we arrived at our chosen time. I selected the smoked salmon and scrambled eggs. The salmon was really good but the eggs were dry and tasteless. My husband had an English breakfast comprising of five items and he was really pleased. He thought the ingredients and produce used were of very good quality. It's also worth noting that the waitress was very pleasant and friendly.
All in all, the experience was not worth £125 for a Lancaster hotel. Had we been properly briefed on the layout of the 'suite', we would have just chosen a normal double room at a lesser cost. We were not bitterly disappointed but the stay certainly did not meet our expectations.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

Ideally centrally located, close to secure overnight parking. Very comfortable accommodation in a charming pub with a good choice of local beers. Very hearty breakfast. Garden courtyard at the rear which is a great sun trap. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013