“Excellent pub lunch.”
Review of Wagon and Horses

Wagon and Horses
Ranked #7 of 231 Restaurants in Lancaster
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Are you looking for somewhere special to eat in Lancaster? Then you simply have to try the Wagon & Horses, for the last couple of years we have secretly been employing one of the best chefs in the area and creating a menu that will rival (and sometimes surpass) any other establishment in Lancaster. We know it's a cliché but we are the best kept culinary secret in the city. We take great pride in our customer service and make sure the standard of food we serve is always of the highest quality making us increasingly one of the most popular gastropubs to eat at. Wherever possible, we are committed to only buying from local suppliers whether it is Garstang Blue Cheese or Lewis's truly amazing Ice Cream, we truly celebrate and insist on giving our customers a true taste of as many delicious produce that Lancaster & Lancashire can offer.As you may or may not know, our Gastro pub reputation is growing rapidly every week and we are very proud to boast about the quality and freshness of our ingredients and we are delighted to announce the completion of our roof top herb and salad garden where we are growing not just our reputation but a vast array of yummy herb and salad to make our dishes incredibleWe want your dining experience at the Wagon & Horses to be a really special, a day to remember, so we are proud to offer a range of mouth-watering starters that include our legendary Asian Style Mussels & the unique experience of our Wagon & Horses Savoury Tart (it's got Black Pudding in you know). After the lip licking has finished you can then choose from two main menus, the first boasting such delights as roasted monkfish (yummy) and our much acclaimed herb Crusted Lamb Rack, once tried - never forgotten. The Classics menu conjures up somewhat more down to earth fayre such as Cumbrian Beef resident burger and (as our quote informs) possibly the best Beer Battered Fish & Chips in the UK. Both menus are bursting with local and seasonal flavours and all dietary requirements can be catered for with vegetarian options galore, we also provide gluten free options. Don't forget, if you are allergic to something or simply don't like one of the ingredients of a meal, we can cook it to your liking...just ask.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This is a large renovated pub on the Lune quayside. We enjoyed an excellent freshly cooked light lunch. Very friendly welcome and efficient service. Recommended.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Wagon and horses is my s one of the best restaurant for good brunches with ur loved ones and I look forward there with yummy food

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

I stayed at the Wagon & Horses overnight on a Sunday (I have reviewed the accommodation separately). I opted to eat dinner at the pub restaurant as the menu looked tasty! I was greeted by the young lady who had checked me in & invited to choose a table, where she brought me the menus & wine list. She made a recommendation of 2 wines & the one I chose was perfect. I ordered flatbreads as a starter, which were served warm with hummus & feta. I had a cod loin for main with crayfish risotto - this was delicious. There was a good variety of food on the menu & Sunday roast as well.

Reviewed June 2, 2019 via mobile

Firstly I must say the staff were excellent and the atmosphere was very good, nothing was too much particularly the Lady who served breakfast. However, the room whilst initially appearing pleasant if a little tired, was in fact dirty as my photos prove. The bathroom light switch didn’t look like it had ever been cleaned, nor the tv remote, the bathroom light was rotten, and the hair in the sink was there on arrival and still there 2 days later. With only 6 rooms I would expected much greater attention to detail. I booked the accommodation because of the menu, I do like good food and the ratings showed promise. Oh dear, on my 1st night I had scallops which were cold ,and the fish and chips, the batter was light but burnt and the fish was watery and didn’t taste much like the haddock it was supposed to be. The second night was sticky pork bonbons with spring onion and chilli and crispy rice noodles. If you look back through others photos you will see what it should have looked like,but as you see from my photo it was dry pork balls, dried egg noodle that was like eating raw dried spaghetti. The pie for mains was pork and cider and was pleasant enough. The best meal was the wild mushrooms with poached egg for breakfast which I would highly recommend. Will I be going back..... I really don’t think so, such a shame as could have been exceptional.

2  Thank StokesS13
Reviewed June 2, 2019

Just stayed at the W+HS Lancaster really friendly staff room brilliant good location 10out of 10 oh and the breakfast yum yum