“Absolutely disgusted! Please avoid!”
Review of Urban Spice

Urban Spice
Ranked #149 of 202 Restaurants in Lancaster
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Well tonight my gf and I had ordered a takeaway from urban spice for the first time. The food took 1hr 30 minutes to arrive. When the knock at the door finally came the driver charged me more than the initial price of 20.00 and charged me 22.00 which at the time I ignored and thought no more of it. I ordered 2 prawn puris for starter which was simply just bread and prawns the size of ants, with no real flavours/spices. Secondly for main we ordered a chicken madrass and lamb dank which consisted of very little diced, flavourless meat in a bland, poorly cooked sauce. I rang to complain to be told I should have said if I wanted my madrass spicy. I then queried the increased price and the guy knew nothing about, he then quized his driver in the background, it all came out and there was alot of arguing between us. As I'm typing this now mine and my gfs stomach are seriously churning and we don't feel well. If urban spice are reading this, you's have a long way to go in your business, where's the passion, the magic of true Indian food? Tonight I feel absolutely gutted, I'd seriously recommend avoiding these

24  Thank User12348

Reviewed November 14, 2012

I am from Glasgow. I write this so that you understand the standard of curry that I judged Urban Spice against. Glasgow is the curry capital of Scotland and is second only to Bradford in the UK for its sheer range and quality of my favourite dish. If you’re ever visiting I would recommend The Wee Curry House – a genuinely fantastic and good value curry, unlike Lancaster’s Urban Spice.

It came to pass that I was away on work in Lancaster. After a long day I headed back to my hotel and was too tired to head out, so I ordered a curry to be delivered. Although on company dollar the keen prices of Urban Spice stood out like a rat on a wedding cake. You can take the Scot out of Scotland……

I decided to order some pretty standard dishes. Prawn Puri, Chicken Tikka Masala, Pilau Rice and Saag A Loo. I find that these dishes are not only served everywhere but are a strong barometer of all round quality of a curry house. I rang my order through, confirmed that they would deliver to a hotel room, and was pleasantly surprised that the cost came in at a wee bit under £15. For reference this standard order from me has ranged from £13 to £32. This put Urban Spice at the lower end of the scale cost wise.

The food came after a long wait of 80 minutes. The Prawn Puri looked soggy and tasted worse. The bread was extremely floury, the prawns were more akin to cockles and the spice level was more than I prefer. I moved on to the main course….

First, the Chicken Tikka Masala – the nation’s favourite dish. It wouldn’t be if they bought it from Urban Spice. The familiar “that can’t be natural red” was present, any kind of taste, wasn’t. Much like the Prawn Puri the spice levels were insane. There were 4 pieces of dry, cold, cubed chicken drowning in this sauce of spice. I mixed in the Pilau rice but that just made things worse – the rice was undercooked and quite solid. Speaking of undercooked the Saag A Loo appeared to have been neither near an oven, nor a chef. The Spinach was gritty, the potato completely uncooked. I left it.

The next morning I felt distinctly queasy and not even a can of Irn Bru could settle my stomach. I ended up turning up to work at 10.30, instead of 08.00, as it took that long for the Immodium to take effect.

Urban Spice is cheap and the morning after is nasty. I’ll be trying another curry house in Lancaster shortly and hope that my experience won’t be repeated. Avoid.

29  Thank Rangers1884