“Simply Amazing”
Review of Lancaster Castle

Lancaster Castle
Ranked #3 of 51 things to do in Lancaster
More attraction details
Owner description: Owned by the serving monarch, HM Queen Elizabeth II, through the Duchy of Lancaster, Lancaster Castle is a wealth of English history. Since being established by the Romans the castle has been a home to monarchs, a place of trial and execution, and a working prison right up until 2012. Still a crown court, the majority of the castle is now open to the public for the first time in over 1,000 years. Since its opening in 2013, the Castle is gradually developing its offer of tours and events, as well as offering a cafe and gift shop in the grounds.
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I visited Lancaster Castle for the first time today and what a visit it was. I didn't know anything about the history of the castle before the visit but this was not a problem, we decided to go on one of the tours (they are the only way to see inside the castle itself) and we are so happy that we did. Our guide Graham was amazing, relaxed and informal but full of interesting information - he really made our visit. It lasted an hour and half and at not one point were any of us bored, plus at £8 per adult we feel that this is extremely good value. I cannot recommend this historic building highly enough!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,640)
All reviews
"fascinating history"
in 22 reviews
"per adult"

Reviewed June 22, 2013

I have recently visited Lancaster Castle and I am in a powered wheelchair. It is quite difficult to negotiate the steep cobbled hill leading up to the Castle. However, once you reach the Castle entrance there are signs advising disabled access is around the side of the castle and also no disabled parking.However, having negotiated a uneven walk way around the perimeter of the castle walls it leads to a locked door and a steep staircase. So , I then had to make the long trek back to the main gate. I was then told that I could not take a tour as no disabled access on the tour. Therefore, I wasted alot of time and effort for no reward which was disappointing as I was looking forward to having a look around. Maybe I asked the wrong people about the tour but I urge any wheelchair user to check accessibility before making a visit. On a positive note the coffee shop is very nice with easy access and a nice outside seating area.

Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

My dad has visited me living in Lancaster for several years and has loved looking at the castle from the outside. So today I took him in on the tour and both my mum and dad thought it was great. It's a great fascinating tour by very knowledgable guides. You get to see how magnificent the castle is from the inside. Highly recommended.

2  Thank Aliye46
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I was passing Lancaster on a beautiful summers day when I decided to visit the town.
I am a bit of a history buff so the castle was a natural place to start.
I had no idea of what to expect so I was pleasantly surprised to find that castle was not only a former prison (closed in 2011) but still a working court (both criminal and civil).
Our tour guide Graham should get an award if one exists, he was knowledgable, witty and had flair for the dramatic so conjured a very informative an entertaining tour.
Taking photos inside the building containing the courts is not allowed so you will need to take my word for how imposing the late 18th century courts are.
Photos are allowed in the women's prison wing which gives a fascinating incite into very recent history,

A cafe is located on the site and even has an astroturf style lawn to lie on in the sunshine. Be aware the site is still be developed as a tourist attraction so some facilities (i.e. the gents) are a bit rough and ready.

A throughly enjoyable visit.

1  Thank Michael W