“Excellent in every way”

Holiday Inn Lancaster
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Lancaster
Reviewed November 16, 2010

Our first experience of a Holiday Inn. The booking process was simple and the check in and check out painless. The room was clean, fresh and roomy. The bathroom was fine with a shower that was easy to operate and worked well and a sink plug that fitted!
We shall be back!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Lancaster

Reviewed November 8, 2010

Booked a two night stay at the Holiday Inn, Lancaster through Superbreak, two nights bed and breakfast (Saturday and Sunday) The hotel was very busy upon arrival on the Saturday evening but we were checked in very quickly and given keys to our room. The room was superb, well set out with lots of space, and a very nice bathroom. We went out during the evening and returned to enjoy a pleasant nights sleep. When we went down for breakfast on Sunday morning, the dining room was very busy but there was plenty of food available with a good selection of hot and cold food, cereals, croissants, various juices, tea, coffee and fruit. We also sampled the excellent health club, trying out the pool, sauna, steam room and spa pool all very nice. Following another good nights sleep we once again enjoyed another excellent breakfast and with it being a Monday the restaurant was much quieter .
We throughly enjoyed our stay at the Holiday Inn and felt very relaxed. We look forward to revisiting this hotel in the future.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2010

Booked here for 3 x nights when our Cumbria timeshare was not up to expectations for the planned 7 x nights stay. HI was a random choice and proved excellent though we thought highly priced on a DB&B package.
Hotel is well situated on a main road into town and to our surprise is immediately opposite a Premier Inn which we initially knew of through directories though didn't know where it was sited. Anyway, HI it was.
Holiday Inns are generally very good and this was no exception: comfortable, good quality in all areas, good table, good staff offering whatever assistance may be needed.
Couldn't open the room safe to put put stuff in so called for help. Maintenance man came twice, failed twice then abandoned the subject. Safe probably remains locked to the date you read this and may continue to hold gold and jewels horde from an earlier long-gone guest. Lesson here: don't leave without emptying the safe of your valuables.
Overall a very good stay and would happily return.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2010

I certainly won't ever want to stay in the Holiday Inn in Lancaster again for the following reasons.
1. On making the reservation with the central booking number I was offered the Bed & Breakfast rate and then for an extra £15 a three course dinner. Fine I thought since I'll arrive after 8.00pm and won't want to go out of the hotel to eat.
As I presented myself at the 'please wait here to be seated sign' I wasn't seen since as it happens the two staff were already dealing with a complaining customer - something about the slowness of service, anyway I was then seen and asked if I wanted to have the three course menu for £20 - I said I had already prearranged the price at £15. They were completely bemused by this and had to summon the chap from the check in desk who asked "is there a problem with your bill, Sir" I explained that I had agreed £15 with my reservation and that the restaurant staff knew nothing of this price. Fortunately, he did know something about this and explained it's adjusted on my bill. My point is - why didn't the restaurant staff know about this £15 offer?
2. I was asked if I'd like a bread roll, to which I answered yes, then on signing the bill at the end of the meal was horrified to see a £1 charge for the roll. I can't ever remember being charged for a bread roll in a restaurant before!!
3. Again on being presented with the final tally, I noticed a charge of £2.75 I asked what this was for and was told it was for a discretionary tip!!?! I told the chap to remove it - what a cheek, the service had been wholly ordinary and it wasn't as if I'd elected to go out and choose a restaurant - this was my only choice. I'll happily tip if the service is good and deserving, but it should be MY choice!
4. Back to my room, and the internet was available but at £15 per 24hours - no other option in room, only if you go down to the bar/restaurant area. In 2010 this is crazy!!! When I go to a hotel I want to have an internet connection to catch up with work and at £15 we are simply being fleeced.
5. Then as it turned out if I had paid for the connection and wanted to work - there was no desk in my room!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
6. The hotel was dreadfully tired looking and as for my room the shower head was all scummy, the silicon sealant at the back of the wash basin dirty and the basin wouldn't drain properly. Also, whilst there was a holder for box of tissues by the wash basin, there weren't any there!
I think this just about covers it, I could probably go on but you can see that it wasn't a pleasant stay at this hotel!
I have since complained to IHG, the controlling group but whilst I got the usual "sorry to hear of your experience at one of our hotels" answer, haven't heard anything from the hotel itself-but with the obvious contempt they feel for their customers, I'm not surprised!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank ianspin
Reviewed November 2, 2010

I live in Morecambe, my self and my children and two friends decide we would go out for lunch this day, we decided on the Hoilday Inn at Lancaster. we drove in to the car park there was ample room, no struggle for space. We went in and requested lunch the staff where very professional and efficient considering we hadnt booked they made us feel very welcome, the food was delicious the serving staff very friendly even taking time out to converse with my children. Considering i stay at a lot of Holiday inns around the country i must say i enjoyed this experience of the lunch because having children with you can make it daunting, but i would definatly do it again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 1, 2010

Clients over from India food top notch well impressses service ok just let down with the rooms

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 23, 2010

Ex Crest Hotel so built to a 1st Class standard. Food very overpriced particularly when the Chef, or at least one of them can't cook.
Having paid for Breakfast, £15.00 I asked for scrambled eggs. On the first morning, Tuesday19th October the eggs arrived and they were wonderful. Friday morning was a complete disaster. What appeared from the kitchen was a slimy mess resembling a child's first attempt at an omelette. This wasn't a one off as my colleague and i had both requested the scrambled eggs. I complained to the waiter only to be confronted by the chef who quite aggressively asked what my problem was. I explained that we had ordered scrambled egg but appear to have been given a poorly cooked omelette. He insisted that the greasy mess on the plate in front of us was indeed scrambled egg. Indeed due to his aggression he appeared to have a proudness about this culinary creation. He asked whether I would like him to produce an omelette to demonstrate the difference, this I declined as he appeared to be getting very worked up given that someone had dared to question his cooking talents albeit they were comparable to those of a five year old.
What a shame that a hotel experience can be destroyed by one ignorant employee, even a greater shame is that so many guests will stay at this hotel, pay a fortune for their food and be served food that is not even up to transport cafe standards.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lancaster
Premier Inn Lancaster Hotel
#3 of 6 in Lancaster
Thurnham Hall
Thurnham Hall
#1 of 1 in Thurnham

Been to Holiday Inn Lancaster? Share your experiences!