“Thanks for the chocolate.....”

Holiday Inn Lancaster
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Lancaster
Europe
“Thanks for the chocolate.....”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

My wife and I stayed here again, this time arriving very late before leaving early the following morning.

The check in was great and quick and the room incredibly spacious and comfortable.

BUGBEAR.....I do really object to being asked to pay, in this case, £16 for internet usage at all and especially when not sure whether this included full internet usage or just the usual limited download to allow email and internet surfing.

After a truly great night’s sleep, we woke up to find a pair of ladies knickers (used) lying on the bathroom floor and they were not ours – EITHER of us!! We reported to housekeeping as we were leaving our room on leaving and they were most apologetic.

My wife tried to make a cup of tea to find that there was no milk. She was miffed but contacted reception and, almost immediately, a young man arrived at the door with milk and also a chocolate bar as an apology which really made my wife smile!!

Cannot comment on bars or restaurants but, for us, we would most definitely visit this hotel and brand again!

Room Tip: Ask for a back room as the noise from the road can be heard on the rooms overlooking it!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
AK_HILancs, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Lancaster, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the hotel.

Our internet system was introduced into 61 of our Holiday Inn hotels following a review of the requirements of the guests that stay in our hotels. As a result, we have one of the fastest, most flexible and reliable high speed internet services. There are a range of chargeable packages to select from, from a 1-hour internet charge to internet and movie bundles.

Thank you also for your feedback regarding the 2 housekeeping issues. Although we are pleased to hear that we dealt with the issues promptly and to your satisfaction please do accept our apologies for these housekeeping oversights.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Went on a trip with my girlfriend, My online quote was £69.00 At check in they asked for £119.00, without even visiting the room!
I paid this on my card thinking they were going to charge us separately... i.e £138.00 in total... Check out came about... they asked for £238.00 including meals and drinks... to which I promptly said I didn't have any food or drink... Thank god theres a Mc Donalds near by. They looked through receipts... turned out they charged the wrong bill to my room!... They then asked for the £69.00 which I paid for in cash... Had to cancel my plans to visit The Lakes and Blackpool... as I only had £20.00 to get me 210 miles home! Wasn't happy... Then checked my bank... I had gone over drawn because they took the £119.00! doesn't look like I'll be staying at a Holiday Inn anytime soon.

Room Tip: Turn the heater on low otherwise it wines.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are very sorry to hear that you have experienced issues with billing and if this hasn't already been resolved, please do contact the hotel directly so that we can make any necessary adjustments.

Travelers are raving about these Lancaster hotels

Reviewed December 7, 2012

Stayed here a couple of years back and again now...rooms are clean and tidy...basic amenities but helpful staff...breakfast omelette (ordered special) was likely one of the best I've had. Laundry service returned clothes smelling very strongly of fabric softener or perfumed soap...so much so that I got a bad headache upon wearing them for the day. Other than this, reasonably priced and convenient for the location near the motorway.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
We were pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay and look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next in the area.
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We stay at Holiday Inns quite a lot but we have mixed feelings about this particular hotel. We have been here twice in the last month for visits to the Lake District and each time had issues with the competence of some staff. The first time we were on a DBB rate for 2 nights, after the first nights disaster in the restaurant we refused to eat there the second night and we had various items of our stay refunded as an apology. One of the main issues was they advertise a Pork Pie as a main course, I expected a Pork Pie as you would traditionally get from any shop, but, no, it was a potato pie with a few shredded bits of pork, infact when I sent it back I had trouble finding bits of pork to show the waiter.

The second stay was just B&B as we would not eat there again in the evening. The breakfasts are ok as long as they are not too busy as they can't seem to cope when the restaurant is full. The hot food is only warm, be quick after it comes out to get it at a reasonable temperature, the heat lamps are not that effective.

We arrived for our second stay wanting a family room expecting the sofabed to be made up for our chidren they were expecting but it wasn't, there was no bedding in the room so I asked at reception and was told it would be there in 10 mins as we wanted to go to the pool for a swim before they closed. After an hour and a few trips to the reception to chase it up we asked them to leave the bedding in reception and we would do it ourselves as we had dogs in the room and didn't want them to be disturbed. The next day they didn't bother cleaning the room as we had left a Do Not Disturb sign on the door while we had breakfast but it was gone by 9.30am.

The hotel itself is ok, we can't fault the rooms or the leisure facilities but the staff need a bit of a shake up!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
We’re sorry you received service which was unacceptable and hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I checked out of the hotel on Sunday 11th November after 2 nights away with my husband. We have never stayed at a Holiday Inn as we have heard mixed reviews but I must say I was very impressed. The spa facilities were excellent and the jacuzzi was an unexpected delight. The food was very nice and the staff were polite and efficient. Myself and my husband have ran B & Bs for many years and so we have very high expectations as you can well imagine!! I would like to single out 2 staff in particular; one lady with blonde hair on reception, I think her name was Lisa?! The other being a very sweet chamber maid called Vicki for who nothing was too much trouble! I will be recommending this hotel and we will be back in the new year for sure!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
AK_HILancs, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Lancaster, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
We were delighted to read you enjoyed your stay. It is our aim to create Great Hotels Guests Love and we can see from your comments that we achieved this. We will share your comments with the rest of the Hotel team and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 19, 2012

room was fine but found bathroom floor slippery when walking in socks and when stepping out of shower as the floor was tiled.sofa had a few stains and marks on it.otherwise very good roomdid get very warm in the night and had to open the window to let a bit of air in

Room Tip: ask for one near lift otherwise you will have a long walk
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank leslie w
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the hotel. We greatly appreciate your feedback as it helps us to maintain our standards.
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Stayed here for 1 night.
Used the gym and the pool but on walking in to the health club the staff seemed a little moody and sorta snapped 'are you hotel guests?' At us!!
Our room was ok, bathroom is poor though, smelt of wee and the shower was very poor.
Could hear next door though aswell as we ended up in a room that had interconnecting doors for families. We made sure our side was locked!!
Food and drink is expensive, £9.99 for breakfast each! Though it was good. Better value if your kids are eating free.
Handy for motorway

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Emma1487
I would like to thank you for sparing sometime to share your experience. Please be assured that all feedback is reviewed and acted upon to ensure we constantly improve.