“Yes book it!”

Ranked #3 of 25 Lancaster B&B and Inns
UK
“Yes book it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

My family and I stayed here for two nights to break a long journey and were really pleased we picked this friendly and attractive hotel. We had the family room which consisted of a double bed and 2 singles with a wall partition splitting the room in half. This worked perfectly. We also ate at the hotel restaurant and the food was delicious and reasonably priced. There is plenty to do locally. We walked along the canal to Glasson Docks and drove into Lancaster to see the Castle, Museum and Williamson Park and butterfly gardens. A great little family break with countryside and city to explore.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Christopher H, Public Relations Manager at The Mill at Conder Green, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Hi Mary_from_London,

Thanks for bringing your family to stay at the Mill. I'm delighted you got to enjoy the canal walks, the Castle and Williamson Park in Lancaster. I've not visited the butterfly house for a long time. I may take my camera for a trip, so do keep you eye on our website for some (hopefully) interesting butterfly pictures coming soon.

Thanks, and do call in again next time you're in the area

Chris Hurst

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

Going to lancasture to see family members, and welcomed with brilliant managers being lovely!! They swapped my bed because it was uconfortable and I didn't ask for a new one but they still swapped it to a proper bed!! Absolutely beautiful food, and beautiful sights!

• Stayed April 2013
Hi Bethani2398,

Thanks for your kind review. I'm pleased you enjoyed a comfortable nights sleep (we have since replaced the troublesome bed, so all is good again).

Do come back and explore more of the scenic surroundings.

Thanks
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

We booked into the Mill to break a long journey. What a find!! We had such an enjoyable stay it was sad it was only an overnight. From the warm welcome to the relaxing bar and wonderful food we know we have found a place we will be happy to return too. The decor of the hotel, the well appointed rooms and the cleanliness of the Mill should make it stand out as one of Britains finest small hotels. The restaurant was very good, from the menu choices to the presentation of the locally produced food and the attentive service you could be in a Michelin starred restaurant, but without the price tag. The views from the hotel is of the rural idyll complete with real live 'baa's' and 'moo's' sound effects. You could just feel your batteries recharge.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alison D
Christopher H, Public Relations Manager at The Mill at Conder Green, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Hi Alison D,

Lovely compliment, it's great to hear you regard us as one of Britain finest small hotels. Lizzy our GM, and her team will get a real kick out of that! (and do work hard to ensure we stand out from the crowd)

Lots of birds chirping, cows mooing and sheep baa's going on now (especially with all the spring lambs around us)

Thanks agian, please do visit next time you're in the area.
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

I dined at The Mill as part of an outing arranged by the organizers of a computer language conference. We had a group of 30 to 40 and we're seated in a dining room of our own. We had pre-ordered our selections for appetizer, main course and dessert. This greatly expedited service. The food was, I was told, all locally sourced, although prepared and served in a style more associated with French cuisine. If I had been staying at the Mill, I would have liked to try a different dish each night.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hi James K,

Glad you enjoyed our freshly prepared and locally sourced menu. In fact on your next visit look out for our Spring/Summer 2013 menu which will be available soon.

Thanks
Lancaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

I had a large party of people (42) who needed to be given a unique experience as the vast majority were visiting Lancaster for the first, and possibly last, time. They were staying for three days and I wanted to give them a real taste of the flavours that make up this wonderful corner of Britain.

I spoke to Nathan at The Mill at Conder Green as I knew they would discuss my needs and come up with an acceptable solution.

That really undersells the experience we were treated to.

Nathan came up with a best of region menu where every item was locally sourced and all the foods, even the pickles were home made. The menu was tailored to our budget, our tastes and any allergies. Which meant that one of the guests had a complete different menu to everyone else as they had a miasma of allergies and were vegetarian, but this didn't even make the chef blink, as he said "we gave him enough notice", in other words 48hrs from a large party and they accommodated any issue we had.

This was a big issue for us. Our guests had contemplated not joining us for this meal as he often is treated to a cut down version of whatever is on a menu and even worse plays roulette with a chefs understanding of his needs.

Not so at The Mill, Nathan knows his stuff. If you have a requirement he will work with you to find the most comfortable solution for everyone.

The food was beyond merely tasty. Each dish had a range of distinct flavours and for the most part were so well balanced it was hard to comprehend that their was so much variety of things on the same plate that complemented each other.

It is hard to single out single experiences but I will. The terrine starter was one of the most enjoyable I have ever tasted, wonderfully sourced meats. As one of my table guests stated, he would not normally eat meat with fat (he meant the jelliyfied juices of a dish cooked in its own juices) but this complemented not detracted. Two friends from Germany stated they had nothing like this at home, which was a shock as their countrymen would love it.

For myself it was the confit of duck sausage. This was one of the single most pleasant food experiences of my life. Sat writing this review I am salivating at the memory of this dish and am considering a drive to the Mill to force Nathan to cook it once again for me. I hear that it may end up as a fixture of their Summer Menu, if it does there may be a regular summer visitor, or kitchen squatter as I will also be known.

The service on the evening was warm and welcoming. The beers of high standard, though these were massive beer drinkers so the Mill needs to up its game and get even more real ales in stock for next time ;) Our foreign guests were treated with respect and to hearty welcomes and warm smiles.

When the meals were served every dish, for each of the three courses, hit the tables within five minutes of the start of service. This is no mean feat for such a large party with a range of choices for each course. And again the serving staff worked with myself, and my two organiser friends, at every stage.

I wouldn't hesitate in recommending the Mill to people. My only advice is to talk to them. Talk to them early. If you do they will go out of their way to work with you. They invest in their customers a great deal of their time and they are able to do that only because they converse with them so converse back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Hi shadowcat_mdk,

It was a pleasure to accommodate you and your party. I'm delighted the menu Nathan prepared was so well received. Being a family run establishment we are fortune that we can tailor your dining experience, in fact this is something Nathan really enjoys as it allows his creative skills to shine. I'll be sure to pass on your kind commens to Nathan and the rest of the team.

Many thanks
Standish, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

From the warm, friendly welcome to the very reasonable bill on departure I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at this lovely canal side hotel. I stopped at the hotel intending to check in and then go and find somewhere else to have lunch, but the aromas coming from the kitchen made my mind up to stay put. It was an excellent decision. The room was spotless and very comfortable and the service, from all the staff, was friendly without being intrusive. Thoroughly recommended.

Room Tip: While all rooms have a decent view I would image the rooms overlooking the canal have the best aspec...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Christopher H, Public Relations Manager at The Mill at Conder Green, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Hi johnmorrisphoto,

I'm delighted you received a warm and pleasant welcome at the Mill. This is something our team continually get praised for, so I'd like to say a huge thanks to all of them!

As I've mentioned in the previous review, on your next visit we will propbably have just launched our new spring/summer menu, which includes several new dishes and desserts to enjoy. I already have and they won't disapoint!

Many thanks for your custom and for your kind review.

north yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

Stayed here the night of the 13th as we were attending a wedding nearby. The rooms were clean and spacious with a well stocked hospitality tray. The staff were very helpful and friendly. Breakfast was very good and plentiful. I didn't have an evening meal there but our son, who also stayed that night, had had a meal earlier and said it was excellent and reasonably priced.
Would definately stay again if needed but will hopefully have a visit so we can sample a meal.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Hi pamanntow,

Great trike photo, is that cool runnings in Fuerterventura?

Glad we looked after you well for your wedding stay-over. Do re-visit and next time and sample our new menu which will be launching early / mid May. We will have a selection of old time favorite dishes, along side some new and exciting choices... I've tasted a few already and they are delicious!

Many thanks
Chris Hurst
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lancaster
Lancaster House
Royal Kings Arms
Royal Kings Arms
#7 of 7 in Lancaster
Premier Inn Lancaster Hotel

Been to The Mill at Conder Green? Share your experiences!