“Oh yum! Live close why haven't I come before!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Greyhound

The Greyhound
Ranked #64 of 240 Restaurants in Lancaster
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, International
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“Oh yum! Live close why haven't I come before!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012 via mobile

Contrary to some reviews on here.... We found the landlady down to earth and very chatty. We originally sat in a bank of four by a radiator, due to the place being quite busy. She came over as she saw us admiring the lovely radiator decoration behind it. She told us where she had bought it and we joked with her whether it would be there at the end of the night. We all felt very comfortable in her presence and as a big table was leaving she said she would wipe it so we could move. Great customer service!
There was four of us and we ordered starters. Me and my husband had the prawn cocktail, none of your diddy shrimps lots and lots of juicy ones! And the other couple with us ordered the combo, very ample and given a plate each!
Main courses I had the pooto medallions, I must have got around four massive pieces , more like pork steaks in a gorgeous sauce with amazing fat cut homemade.chips! My husband had the steak and ale pie, v ample lots of juicy steak and we got a huge bowl of vegetables between us. Mange tour, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower yum! One ordered vegetable lasagne, a huge plate!!!!and one ordered the chicken curry off the special board, the landlady came over with chips and garlic bread also!
There was only one snag, we did wait a long time to be served our starter. However we were in good company, in a nice cosy atmosphere and as the food was tasty this made up for that.
The cost was very reasonable around £35 per couple. The wine was tasty. Overall I will be back! Least you get proper portions not like the keys!

1 Thank hollywood8484

“Great food & service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at Holiday Inn at Lancaster and Greyhound within pleasant walking distance along the river. Made very welcome at the Greyhound where the food was well presented and freshly cooked. The chef is the husband of the landlady who is clearly experienced and offers a wide and enjoyable menu. Recommended.

North Lancashire
“Pleasant sociable ambiance with tasy food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

Two friends who live in Halton suggested we eat at the Greyhound as it is under new management and has been much improved. This is true. We were welcomed as we entered the hostelry, we ordered drinks at the bar and were shown our reserved table. The service was prompt; the only “problem” was making a choice from the extensive menu and specials board. The food was scrumptious and the “specials” included some dishes that one would not expect in a pub. It is a hostelry to which I will return; it is well worth the cycle ride.

• Visited September 2012
“Super country pub”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

Just moved to the area from Kent, and have been to the Greyhound, now our closest pub, with family 3 times in the past month. The food was excellent, with a varied Specials board, and good value for money. Good location in a pretty village close to the stunning River Lune, nice atmosphere, friendly staff, couldn't be better. On the last occasion for lunch we were in a hurry and had a difficult 2-year-old with us, but we were served quickly and the children's menu certainly kept him quiet! Highly recommended.

• Visited September 2012
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“disappointing to say the least...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

I had high hopes for this place as I'd heard many good reports about the food and because a reservation is usually required.

Although it was fairly busy on our arrival, we were ignored by the landlady who seemed to be chatting to some of her regulars. Throughout our visit she came across as being on the brusque side.

We also had a young and unexperienced and waitress. It may have been her first day but she had no idea as to what wines were on offer nor did she seem to be familiar with varieties of grape.

My husband and I both had the steak and Guinness pie which was pretty tasteless and lacked seawsoning. The pie filling was mostly gravy so that was also very disappointing as I'd like to have seen some decent chunks of meat. My husband agreed but he took more umbrage with the chips which were awful. They tasted as if they'd been fried earlier and reheated in the oven. Mine were over done to boot!

Needless to say we won't be back....

• Visited July 2012