“Merchants Burger Is One To Try! (Add Lancashire Cheese!)”
Review of Merchants 1688

Merchants 1688
Ranked #12 of 231 Restaurants in Lancaster
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Restaurant and bar serving excellent British cuisine, 8 real ales and a selection of fine wines. Set in 300 year old wine merchants cellars 1 minutes walk from Lancaster Castle and 5 minutes from the train station, with a peaceful beer garden to the front.
Reviewed April 15, 2019

On business in Lancaster, I wandered around looking for somewhere to eat before catching my train back home and since this place was not so far away from either the station or the castle, I chose to come here. I was able to manage to get a table without booking and it was a bit busy so that was rather fortunate. The staff was very friendly from the minute I entered the building and asked me to wait for one moment as they cleared the table I would sit at as the last diners had just departed which I thought was fair enough.

The layout of the restaurant was very interesting, to say the least, I never thought of having a meal inside a cellar before! The walls looked like they had been up for hundreds of years but oddly enough, it just made the experience even better! A bit spooky and the glow of the lights, it just shows that the atmosphere and the layout can make the difference between an Ok meal and an amazing one!

Choosing the Merchants Burger which has ground beef with onion, lightly spiced and served on a glazed brioche bun with French fries, gherkins, crispy onions, and signature burger sauce and after having it be recommended to me, I added Lancashire cheese to it for a small charge. It was very good but the cheese slid off the second I picked the burger up! Another thing was the crispy onions didn't all have onion in, you could barely taste the onion and that isn't a complaint from me because I'm not a huge fan of them...I just wanted to give them a go but a lot of the crispy onions, you could only taste the batter, everything else was top notch, the bun was fresh and the veggies were juicy and full of flavor, especially the gherkin!

Overall, it was a nice meal and worth the money I paid for it, I was satisfied and would easily return the next time I pop into the city! Thank you for the wonderful meal Merchants 1688!

Not a bad review from a Yorkshire Fella!

Date of visit: April 2019

Reviewed April 13, 2019 via mobile

Managed to get booked in when visiting Lancaster recently with my famimy. A popular spot and if you want a meal you must book in advance especially at the weekends. Very friendly staff, good service and good food. I loved the beer samples that you can see before you buy to help you choose your beer as they have so many on tap to choose. If you leave saying you cant wait to get back its always a good sign.

Date of visit: April 2019
Reviewed April 11, 2019

At the end of a meal, if in doubt... order the dessert! After a well-made fish and chips and spaghetti bolognese, the meal was well and truly rounded off with sticky toffee pudding. It is one of the best I have tried at a pub and it certainly tasted fresh and very moist. I would go back to Merchants just to eat more pudding!

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed March 28, 2019

Our party of 5 arrived just after midday & were quickly shown to a table. The service was attentive but not obtrusive & we all chose Lancashire hotpot. This was excellent, well presented & authentic. There was a varied choice of wines & beers and I will definitely visit again.

Date of visit: March 2019
Reviewed March 24, 2019 via mobile

We came here for the first time and was looking for somewhere to eat.We saw Merchants advertised on a board and decided to try it.It was very homely and I'm certainly glad we went in.Very reasonably priced and plenty of choice from 3 menus .We will definitely go again next time we are in Lancaster.

Date of visit: March 2019