“The starting point”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lancaster
The Gateway at Hest Bank
Ranked #11 of 24 Lancaster B&B and Inns
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“The starting point”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We started a weeks touring of Scotland by staying with Angela at the Gateway and were not disappointed . Angela is a genuine warm person offering exceptional facilities . We stayed in the self contained room with self catering options . The view from the room was incredible , across the bay to the Lake District . The room was very large and the bed extremely comfortable . On the morning we left we were offered a beautifully cooked breakfast amongst other choices and left feeling satiated and happy . Angela's home is very comfortable and extremely clean . Angela was very informative and helpful when booking a meal in the local restaurant, thank you very much for looking after us .
Brian and Joan

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
angelacarmen, Owner at The Gateway at Hest Bank, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thankyou both for your review, it was really lovely to meet you and i'm very happy your stay at The Gateway at Hest Bank provided you with a great start to your holiday, Angela

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
leeds
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Fabulous guest house. In wonderful location to beach, morecambe, canal and hesk bank pub. From moment walk through door, welcomed by Angela into warm, cosy environment. Room clean, modern and plenty extras...choc on towel.water next bed,plenty tea and coffee and shower gel etc. Better than some four to five star. Can not fault it. Breakfast wonderful and plentiful,eat in breakfast room or pretty outside area. Will def stay again. Thank you.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank suzie y
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for one night at short notice after being let down by a hotel near by. What a great place the host Angela made us feel so welcome. Our room was huge and spotless with a really comfortable bed. We had a great night sleep. The room was well equipped and the littles extras  a really nice touch, chocolates, bottled water and good quality biscuits

Our bathroom was great with a fantastic power shower which was easy to use. The towels and robes were push and great quality.

Breakfast was really nice and everything  was fresh and  and Angela was so attentive. This is a great first class bed and breakfast that excels in everything. You will be not be disappointed

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Gaggyboot
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I stayed at The Gateway for one night last week & was absolutely delighted with the whole experience. When I arrived I was warmly met by the owner Angela. She showed me to my room, with my mum who I was visiting in the area, but wanted to know where I was staying, & was delighted with my room. It was lovely & spacious, absolutely immaculate & extremely comfortable. It was a large family room & as I was only staying by myself, there was a double bed in the room & also a single, so I just used the single, but Angela said I was more that welcome to use the double. It had a sitting area, tea & coffee facilities - which I always need in a room, & a lovely clean en-suite, plus views over Morecambe bay. After a comfortable night, I went down for breakfast into the lovely sunny dining room, & could have had a full English breakfast, but just had cereal & a bacon sandwich with two nice crispy hash browns - mmmmm. Nothing was too much trouble for Angela. There is also a lovely sitting area in the garden. The price is amazing & Angela a very welcoming host. I will definitely be staying at The Gateway in the future when visiting my mum. An absolute find.

Room Tip: Room 2 nice & spacious.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank kazlar1
Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

My partner and I went for a day out on our motorbikes, we hadn't planned it just your usual spontaneous adventure.
We road from St Helens, up to rivington, on to devils bridge, over to Kendal then on to lake Windermere, we stopped at each location and had us some decent weather (not the greatest, but decent all the same).

When leaving lake Windermere it started to get dark and the weather took a turn for the worse, rain and wind was shocking, we came off the M6 in the hope of finding somewhere to stay then we could continue riding the following day.

After many people giving the drowned rats the refusal we stumbled across the gateway and knocked on the door only for Angela to open the door saying "oh my gosh, you look freezing" and very swiftly got us sorted with a room.

There was somewhere for us to park our bikes, Angela let us hang our very soggy bike jackets in the kitchen and got us sorted with our room.

Coming from a strong hotel background being a former Accommodation Manager I was stunned by our room, I can say it was one of the cleanest rooms I've ever seen, very spacious, very clean throughout. Awesome!!

We had breakfast the following morning, which unfortunately was an early one which Angela gladly got up early an accommodated for us, as well as the little pooch who was just as friendly!!

I haven't been up in that area for a very long time and it was lovely to know that the locals are exactly the same as they always have been!!

Angela literally saved us in our mass time of need and we will stay again (in summer though when it's dry) haha!!

Thank you soo much for looking after us!!

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank H-Nicho
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 25, 2012

My partner and I stayed at The Gateway for one weekend night during a scuba diving weekend.

We arrived later than planned but were still greeted by Angela (and her cheeky little dog Bubbles) and had a nice little chat about the place and what we had been up to.

The place was very homely and warm and the rooms were extremely comfortable and clean.

The owner recommended a lovely pub nearby which served delicious food and was very friendly and she also had vouchers for a free drink which we took advantage of.

In the morning we had a hot and cold breakfast made for whenever we wanted it really (inbetween the stated hours) which was excellent and then we were on our way.

Location wise it was perfect for us as it was only 10-15 minutes from Capernwray Lake where we scuba diving.

Overall a perfect stay and just what we wanted after a long and tiring day.

I should also add that my girlfriend is a little princess and moans about everything and I didn't hear a peep out of her all the time we stayed there, so take from that what you will.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Luke B
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Found this place after ringing round and being told about it being dog friendly by another B & B and Angela was very helpful in sorting out what we needed.
After accommodating all my requirements - elderly disabled mum and myself my partner and dog via email and text i felt very happy when arriving at The Gateway. We parked on the street at the back there was access at the rear but we walked round the front and were welcomed by Angela and Bubbles - he is lovely friendly well behaved dog who was a beautiful charmer. We were given our keys for our two rooms mum had the newly finished ground floor room with en suite and the rest of us had a huge room at the top of the house - kept me fit going up and down those stairs. Mums verdict on her room was it was lovely, bed was comfy and having it on the ground floor was a great help for her as she isn't good with stairs. In the room was a double bed, bedside tables, chest of drawers/dressing table and a small sofa along with a newly fitted en suite.There was a television in the bedroom and it was in a good position for her to watch but she did say it would be awkward for two sharing the bed to watch it from either the bed or the sofa her only comment was that there was a large gap under her bedroom door and she felt it allowed cool air and noise/light in from the hall area as it was right next to the front door. Our room was more like a self contained room with mini kitchen area with fridge, microwave and a small table for two. a larger sofa and television area with rug and then a double bed with bedroom storage either side of the main door and a covered wardrobe over the other side. This room had fantastic views both back and front....sea to the front and canal and houses to the back. We unpacked having left my mum with her very close friend in Morecambe and as we got ready to go out for a stroll round the area all we could smell from the kitchen downstairs was yummy baking which was made even better when we spotted that baking waiting for guests to help themselves to YUM YUM. We dashed out for our walk with our dog and have to say the local area is lovely equally as lovely as The Gateway. We were out then for a few hours and on our return Angela was there to say hello to my mum as she hadn't met her yet and once mum was settled we went and relaxed in our room. My only two little things that are pretty personal in our room was it had a laminate floor which when our dog strolled about during the night it was much noisier than if it had had carpet down* only a problem if you have a wandering dog * and the second was the double beds position i would have felt a bit more comfortable if the bed had had its pillow end against a wall instead of the back of a storage unit making it more of a conventional bed position and maybe then able to have a bedside table at the sides, having said that i slept well and the house was really quiet. We did not have a en suite but the bathroom with right next door.
Breakfast was served until 9 am and it was lovely, tea in a pot and Angela was very attentive asking how you wanted things and if you needed anymore. On leaving we commented on how nice a stay it was and left with full tums for our journey home

Room Tip: im sure if you explain to Angela what you need she will do her best to sort it for you for example a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank numee28Derbyshire
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lancaster
Lancaster House
#1 of 1 in Bolton le Sands
Auckland Hotel
Auckland Hotel
#2 of 10 in Morecambe

Been to The Gateway at Hest Bank? Share your experiences!