“Customer service dire especially from the Manageress - book elsewhere”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Lancaster House

Lancaster House
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Lancaster
GreenLeadersGold level
lancashire
“Customer service dire especially from the Manageress - book elsewhere”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

Positive - pool, steam room etc nice.
Negative - spa unable to give certain treatments due to stock shortage, management organisation required. Sound proofing - it is a very noisy hotel and any noise from surrounding rooms will disturb your sleep.
Major issue - I went to the bar to take a bottle of wine to the room, 1. was overcharged by £2 by the staff, I understand room service is always more expensive but not when you carry it yourself. 2. The wine was off, no debate, no doubt. We had a couple of mouthfulls each at the end of the evening and my husband who instantly picks up on such things spent most of our night away without our 4 children on the toilet. Mistakes happen, however when we mentioned it at reception the lady phoned the manageress - her response was just knock it off the bill with no appearance to see us to apologise or discuss it with us. No apology was given for either the off wine or bar staff overcharging us. She did come to reception due to another clients issue re overcharging and told us she was unaware our complaint was important. A client being ill all all night due to a problem at the hotel is to me important.She told us the wine was their best seller and was quality wine, we are not wine novices and she certainly didnt offer to try it herself. The manageress treated us like we were ignorant and was basically just rude.The customer service was terrible and we intend to lodge a formal complaint to the management of the hotel chain. The hotel is in a pleasant location etc but staff training is absolutely essential.Despite having paid for breakfast neither of us felt comfortable eating / drinking there so left and went elsewhere.
Average - food in Sandeman's bar, chips re cooked, gammon well over done, chive mayonnaise without a chive in sight.
Overall - never again and would never recommend the hotel and until the Management learn how to be polite to their customers and offer them satisfaction I struggle to see how it will continue to be successful. On a positive note for them they do seem to be a hotel used by an oriental tour company so whilst that continues they will have some business.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lancashire50cent
TimBell, General Manager at Lancaster House, responded to this review, July 17, 2013

Further to our correspondence, I believe you will have been contacted by an independent Health & Safety consultant who will have confirmed that the wine will not have been the cause of any potential illness.

My duty manager did her very best to reason with you and discuss matters in a calm and methodical way. Every piece of feedback is important to us, but we can only deal with genuine issues if all parties are prepared to be rational and reasonable. This particular colleague has never had a bad word said against her in all the many years I have known her, and in the opinion of her peers and the hundreds of customers who know her, she is a consumate professional.

I'm sorry for any "genuine" service failures that may have occurred, and I am sure you will see from the vast majority of our other online reviews, we are a caring, professional hotel who only have the very best interests of all our guests at heart and I don't believe that your review is a fair and accurate reflection of Lancaster House, it's Management and it's customer care culture.

If you wish to discuss this matter further, I would be more than happy to do so directly.

Tim Bell, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

Having stayed before and having a great time here I surprised my wife for our wedding anniversary i asked for a bottle of champagne for the room and it was well chilled and accompanied with chocolates and balloons and a lovely card from the hotel. Nice personal touch. We had lunch in the bar in the afternoon which was just what we wanted with a few drinks nice relaxed atmosphere. staff are sooo friendly it makes your stay really pleasurable everyone smiles and speaks to you. The room was a suite definatly worth the money you only live once go for the best. We had a meal in the foodworks In the evening which was exceptional. The restaurant was a little quiet as most of the guests was at a wedding but was still nice. We retired to the bar for a night cap where the staff again was absolutely brilliant. We couldn't have asked for a better stay at our now favourite hotel. The management should be very proud of the team they have. We are already looking forward to our next stay hopefully very soon. A big thank you again to all the staff

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you so much for the lovely review following your recent anniversary stay with us (Congratulations by the way)

I'm so glad that you had a wonderful time and I thank you for your kind words about the team. And yes, I am very proud of them indeed.

I do hope we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

We booked here through booking.com at charged 88 for one night. Seemed reasonable for a four star hotel for one night.
We arrived whilst a bride and groom arrived to the front. As they were being videoed we looked for another way in. However we couldnt see one and awkwardly waited for ten minutes. With bags and a young baby we tried to make our way through. We were shot some looks but we really did our best to avoid. We checked in and the front of house was pleasant. ( We had emailed ahead to say it was our wedding anniversary and that we required a quiet room.) We arrived at room 34. Standard room. Dated furniture. Kettle (out of reach of the socket)..seemed pretty clean although I did find that even travelodges..holiday inns have appeared cleaner maybe because of their more modern feel.
There was a card and balloons which was a pleasant enough gesture. However having maybe been spoiled in the past by 4 star and less hotels. We have often been upgraded to a better class room or had wine..chocolates..fruit platter..cake..so we were probably a little disappointed. Mainly because I booked the hotel as a surprise.
We used the spa. It was clean and nice. Needs to be a bit more customer satisfaction orientated with greetings etc however. I interrupted the girl from reading the newspaper to retrieve my card on my way out.
We headed into Lancaster for tea and the staff at bella italia were very attentive.
We came back and used the bar area. The wedding was in full swing but the bar only had few guests from here using it. A pint was £4.15 I believe.
We returned to our room and ran a bath. Only to find a long black hair floating on top. Not possible to be one of ours. That kind of made me want to clean up. Found another in the bed too. So not a good start to settling for sleep. Now remember we asked for a quiet room (we had our young baby with us)....1am awoken by yelling..screaming..shouting..running in the corridor. Lasted 10 minutes and didnt wake the baby. Then all started again at 1.45...until 2.15. This time right outside the room as the inconsiderate guests were in room 36. (Im guessing both these separate guests were from the wedding ??!!.. in which case why put wedding guests who are obviously going to be returning to their room late at the side of a couple with a baby who specifically ask for quiet ????). My husband phoned reception as they had now woke the baby...who half way through him talking put the phone down on him...it went for another ten minutes..we couldnt hear anyone come down to ask for quiet.
So up at 7am...feeling shattered headed down to breakfast. Greeted and sat down. Highchair came was really filthy. We cleaned it. Buffet breakfast which is quite unusual in 4star hotels but was nice enough. Some lovely guests who say hi and chat which is always lovely.
Returned to room and then checked out. Our comments re the particularly terrible nights sleep were noted and the manager will be informed.
I can only compare the hotel to other 4 stars for rooms and their personal service. Having stayed at macdonald manchester..windermere..grassmere..for a very similar price I can only say that I think that we didn't get good value e ror money but obviously others can compare to other hotrls and price's paid. I just personally think you get a better class of room at others. The hotel itself is pleasant enough. There were empty cups and saucers in windowsills in the corridor at 4pm. Glass bottles on the floor at the front at 9pm. But otherwise the hotel itself is nice enough.

• Stayed June 2013

I am sorry that on your most recent visit, a number of factors contributed to a less than peaceful and memorable stay. Certainly, I have addressed all the quality issues you raised with my team. I am sure you can appreciate from the vast majority of our reviews that this is not indicative of our usual high standard. We do try and upgrade special occasions if we can, but due to availability this may not always be possible, especially on a Saturday night.

I would also like to apologise for the behaviour of some very inconsiderate guests. It appears that the actions of a small handful of individuals who showed little or no care or due consideration has regretfully affected the comfort of several of our guests on that particular evening. Such guests causing these disturbances are obviously not welcome back here at Lancaster House and instances like this are very rare indeed.

Do contact me personally if you would ever consider a return stay and I will endeavour to give you a much more pleasant, enjoyable and memorable experience.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

Decided to stay here for a quiet restful long weekend the hotel was beautiful the staff very helpful and friendly could not fault it dinner was excellent stayed in a suite and looked forward to a long sleep and lie in but at 5am we were wakened by 2 coach loads if Japanese tourists who arrived the night before outside our bedroom window laughing talking and dragging suitcases out to await the return of their coaches the noise carried on til 7am when they went in for breakfast I did complain to the receptionist and was told she would tell the,duty manager that evening another 2 coaches arrived and we went through the same carry on again the following morning this time I spoke to the duty manager who apologised and sent a bottle of wine to our suite and told me the general manager would be in touch with me up to now I have not heard from anyone we will see

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for your review.

It was gratifying to read that, overall, you enjoyed your stay.

That particular morning, we did have a large group leaving very early, and this was part of a "one-off" series of coaches we had during those couple of weeks. We've addressed yours, and our concerns about the early noise and they have assured us that on any future stays they may have with us, they will ensure their guests respect the sleeping patterns of all our other customers. Hopefully on any future stay, you will be assured of a much more comfortable nights sleep.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

Smart hotel with grand foyer and real fire which was welcoming on a cold night. Pet friendly bedrooms rooms were smart and super comfy bed!
Dinner in the restaurant was of high quality but let down by lack of atmosphere and was very cold. Friendly staff and a good spa facility.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review.

I was gratifying to learn that, overall, you enjoyed your stay.

I would add that since your stay we have installed a new heating & ventilation system here at the hotel which I am sure on any future visit you will find creates a much warmer, cosier atmosphere.

I hope we can welcome you back again soon

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

I spent two enjoyable nights at this hotel and think in general it offers good value for money. Having investigated other hotels in Lamcaster it is clear that for the price, the facilities here are excellent value for money. The pool is lovely, and the outdoor jacuzzi was wonderful on the lovely sunny days we spent there. We stayed in a 'classic' room and while the beds were very clean and comfortable, these particular rooms look tired and a few areas in the bathrooms has not been thoroughly cleaned. The breakfast was plentiful and delicious and a two course meal with a good bottle of wine (and delicious fresh bread) came in at £70 which wasn't too bad (but I am used to London prices!)
The staff were very friendly and all in all this is a well located hotel with good facilities, friendly staff and good quality food.

• Stayed May 2013
Many thanks indeed for the great review following your recent stay with us.

It sounds like you really got to enjoy all of our facilities, and I'm sure the outdoor hot-tub was a particular favourite.

I do hope we can have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

staff & facilities excellent. Stayed for 2 nights and enjoyed the 'free' tours of the local Lancaster Brewery and Lancaster Castle. We ate in the bar area - food was superb. Breakfasts - selection brilliant and quality of food excellent.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for the great review

I was delighted you enjoyed our "Best of Lancaster" mini-break and got to appreciate a little taste of what our fair city has to offer.

Hopefully we can tempt you back again to discover a little more about Lancaster

Tim Bell, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lancaster
Holiday Inn Lancaster
#1 of 1 in Thurnham
Royal Kings Arms
Royal Kings Arms
#7 of 7 in Lancaster

Been to Lancaster House? Share your experiences!