“Lovely place , lovely people spoiled by poor food”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Lancaster House

Lancaster House
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Lancaster
GreenLeadersGold level
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“Lovely place , lovely people spoiled by poor food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

Stayed here on a one night business trip whilst in the area.
Had a lovely quiet room.
The tv remote didn't work though , think the batteries needed replacing .. Used the buttons on the tv instead !
Very comfortable bed and lovely hot shower with plenty of pressure.
Had a gammon steak and Chips in the bar , service was very friendly and efficient , but my gammon was very chewy and the chips cold, in fact the plate it was served on was very cold as well.
I didn't make a fuss as the staff were so nice, maybe I should have but when asked if my meal was alright I just couldn't say no.
Had a nice cold beer by the real hot log fire ( that was perfect ) !
The cold food theme continued at breakfast however.
I was up early as I had a meeting to go to , I was at breakfast at 7am and found that the bacon, eggs and sausages etc were under the warming lights , but on eating the cooked breakfast found it was all cold ,seems to have been cooked at 5am and put under the lights to warm up ?
Cold baked beans Not very good at all.
I left the cooked breakfast and thought I would try the 'fresh' pastries.
Oh dear oh dear .. They tasted like they had been around for a day or two , not fresh at all.
Maybe this was just an off day .. Reading all the reviews for this hotel I expected something better.
I will no doubt stay again in the near future , but if I have food like this again here I will ask for it extra hot and fresh.

Room Tip: I'm sure they are all nice
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank skilegend
TimBell, General Manager at Lancaster House, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I am sorry that we failed to meet your individual expectations in a number of areas during your recent stay with us, especially some unusual, but regrettable quality issues with the food you seem to have experienced. Certainly, I have already addressed these matters with my teams to ensure a similar fall in standard does not happen again. As you will have seen from previous and also more recent reviews, these standards are not indicative of the levels of quality we're normally proud to maintain. So I can only apologise once again.

I do hope these shortfalls haven't permanently marred your opinion of our hotel and we can hopefully look forward to welcoming you back again in the future so that we may restore your faith.

Tim Bell, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
Runcorn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

We stayed at the Lancaster House Hotel over a year ago and chose to come back to celebrate a special birthday. Bed breakfast and evening meal on a Saturday for the 2 of us was £100 as a special deal. The food was excellent on our last trip and we were not disappointed on our return the duck was especially memorable. We took the opportunity to use the leisure facilities and they were good too. Breakfast was self service and you make your own toast so it is hot. The choice was excellent. Only complaint was that the Sandeman's bar which promotes port doesn't have a good port available but we can appreciate that it is not commercially possible.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Briony B
TimBell, General Manager at Lancaster House, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Thank you so much for posting such a glowing review following your recent return stay with us at Lancaster House.

Sounds like you got a great deal and you were able to make the most of all the hotel's facilities. The duck is also a particular favourite of mine.

I'm sorry there wasn't a premium port available on your last stay. I'll certainly look into getting one in for the future.

Once again, many thanks for the review

Chorley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

In spite of being close to one of the UK's most vibrant universities, the Lancaster House Hotel remains a relaxing and peaceful place to stay, and is only a short drive from the lovely hills of the Forest of Bowland, or from the Lune Estuary and the Fylde.

The integral restaurant is getting better all the time, but it's also worth dropping in for a bar lunch - the fish and chips are outstanding, especially with Lancashire Caviar (Mushy Peas).

Bright, friendly, welcoming...

Room Tip: Ask for one of the rooms in the new extension; they're quite something else.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for the great review.

And may I say thank you for highlighting all the beautiful areas we have on our doorstep. I know the TA community will very much appreciate tips about not only the hotel, but also the surrounding region.

It's always a pleasure to see you here at Lancaster House and we're very grateful that ambassadors such as yourself help us cement our reputation.

Fingers crossed, we'll see you again very soon for some Fish, Chips 'n Lancashire Caviar

Burnley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

A party of 8 of us stayed over for the New Year's Eve party - for the second year running. The stay was once again excellent! Apart from the fact that the rooms are beautiful, clean and welcoming, and the spa lovely, the icing on the cake was the food served on New Year's Eve! The tables are all decorated beautifully which sets the scene for the feast which was to come. We ordered our meals on the night from the New Year's menu. I think we sampled most of the selections between us and everything was superb! The icing on the cake is definately the staff. They are excellent - anything we requested was delivered immediately. The drinks order was remembered and delivered with a smile every time. The staff are a real credit to the hotel and do a fabulous job! They really portray a good impression for the hotel. Thank you once again and will definately be back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for the great review following your recent New Year stay with us, and may I say how grateful I am for your very kind words about the team. It is the team that makes the difference and they really are the "icing on the cake".

Great to hear that you will be back. All being well, details of next year's New Year will be on the English Lakes website in the next few weeks.

Windermere, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stay at this hotel regularly - at least 3 times per year and have never been disappointed. My husband, myself and teenage children stayed recently, between Christmas and New Year, as a special treat for my birthday. We booked one of the suites for ourselves (they are just amazing!) as well as a standard twin room for the children. The hotel was busy and the staff were obviously having to work very hard but, nevertheless, they were as attentive, polite and helpful as usual. Our rooms were spotlessly clean and comfortable - as they always are. We chose to eat in the Sandemans Bar in the evening and were very pleased with the quality of the food and the willingness of the staff to accommodate our dietary needs. The time we spent in the gym, pool and spa was very enjoyable too. All in all, it was another wonderful stay at this excellent hotel and we look forward to many more.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Parkavenue34
Many thanks indeed for such a great review following your recent return stay with us at Lancaster House.

It sounds like you and the family had a great festive break and I'm delighted we were able to make it such a memorable stay again for you.

As always, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Cumbria UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

We have now stayed at this hotel five times over the last 10 years. It is a fantastic place, the management and staff are great, the food is wonderful. Each and every guest is treated with respect and made to feel special. Happy New Year to Tim and all his team and see you for lunch on Saturday!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cuthberrys
Thank you so much for the great review and your very kind words.

It was wonderful to welcome you back for New Year. I have of course shared your feedback with the whole team here.

Fingers crossed, it won't be too long before we see you at "The House" again soon.

lancashire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

stayed at the lancaster house hotel for two nights in between christmas and new year. on the whole it was ok staff were good breakfast was exellent room and facilities were also ok. had the chicken madras in the bar first night worst curry you could ever imagine only my personal opinion but if you had not been told you would never have guessrd it was a curry.. ate in the restaurant the night after and this complaint can not be put down to a guests personal preferences. the broccoli on my wifes dinner ,which covered a third of the plate was bright yellow should have been binned at least a week before,i know because i buy and sell the stuff for a living.sent it back and it came with a plate of frozen broccoli refused to pay for it .spoils the whole experience.was considering staying for acelebration with 17 family members in february but it puts you off ..shame nice place

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nellracker
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review.

I am sorry that the quality of food didn't appear to be up to our usual high standard on your recent stay. As I'm sure you can appreciate from all the other very positive feedback on Tripadvisor, I can only put this down to an isolated incident and I would be confident that on a return visit, you will find the food much more to your personal satisfaction.

Please do contact me personally should you consider us for the celebration stay you were planning and I will assure you a high quality stay with food to match.

Our apologies once again that we failed to meet your expectations

Regards

Tim Bell, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lancaster
Holiday Inn Lancaster
#1 of 1 in Thurnham
Royal Kings Arms
Royal Kings Arms
#7 of 7 in Lancaster

Been to Lancaster House? Share your experiences!