“Excellent”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Lancaster
GreenLeadersGold level
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

I was treated to a romantic evening out on Saturday 29 September and could not fault the staff, the meal and the exceptional service. Best restaurant in Lancaster by far. Thank you Lancaster House Hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
TimBell, General Manager at Lancaster House, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Many thanks for posting such a great review following your recent evening with us at Lancaster House.

I was delighted that you enjoyed your meal and the service in the Foodworks Restaurant.

I hope we can have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future. Indeed, please do not hesitate to contact me if you are and I will ensure you have another great experience.

Tim Bell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
Bury, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed here on a Saturday night for a wedding reception and were very impressed. Hotel is situated right next to Lancaster University (don't worry - there is a fence and big gates!), set back from the main road in fields. The hotel felt very comfortable and welcoming as soon as we walked through the door, with a lovely open fire in the lobby, and the staff were attentive and friendly.
We had a sandwich in the bar (good value and very well presented), and had the breakfast buffet the next morning - good choice of continental and cooked, with other options like kippers and haddock cooked to order, and as many tea/coffee refills as you liked.
Nice decor throughout, and the room was very well appointed, spotless with a comfortable king-sized bed, plenty of space and storage and a bathroom you could actually move around in.
The hotel makes much of its 'green' credentials and their charity support, and credit to them for that - an example was no bottled water in the rooms (you could ask for some if you really wanted it), but a carafe and plenty of iced water dispensers along the corridors.
We would definitely stay again, and next time make use of the leisure facilities too - thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Many thanks indeed for posting such a positive review following your recent one night stay with us here.

I will of course share your feedback with the whole team here, who always enjoy reading the feedback they receive.

I am also delighted you noticed all the hard work we undertake to ensure we meet and exceed our carbon reduction targets and our responsibility to our environment and community. Our work on this front will always continue as we aim to lead the way in this field.

I hope we can have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future. Indeed, please do not hesitate to contact me if you are and I will ensure you have another great stay.

yorkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

We stayed on a Sunday night on the way to Scotland. Our room was very nice and bright and the staff attentive although the barman needs "smile training".

Restaurant meals were OK. Buffet breakfast was also OK but food seems to be left a little too long under the warming lights.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for the review

I have noted your feedback about the improvement areas and I will of course endeavour to ensure more consistency with our usual high standard in the future.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon

Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

Having read some of the negative reviews, I don't where those people stayed, but it was a different hotel to the one I stayed in.My family recently stayed at the hotel for a wedding and I take away only positive memories of the place. All the staff I came into contact with really knew the meaning of customer service. Nothing was too much trouble and all requests were dealt with in a polite and proffessional manner. The room was lovely and had been cleaned to a very high standard. Breakfast was great and I can heartily recommend the kippers and smoked haddock.
Will I be staying there again? Without a doubt.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
TimBell, General Manager at Lancaster House, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
Many thanks indeed for posting such a positive review following your recent stay with us here at Lancaster House.

Your comments do concur with the vast majority of our feedback and I know that the TA community are savvy enough to make their own accurate conclusions about the quality of a hotel. It is admittedly disappointing to read the occasional negative feedback that gets posted, and as a realist hotelier I know I cannot meet the individual needs and expectations of all our guests, although it is our aim to do so.

I am glad that you have highlighted this fact, and I know your review will help visitors to the site form a more balanced opinion of our hotel before hopefully choosing to visit us.

Thank you once again, and if you are ever planning another visit, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will assure you another great stay.

Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

An excellent venue for a wedding ceremony and reception/evening celebration afterwards. Nothing was too much trouble for any member of staff, which added to our total enjoyment of the memorable weekend. Even though unexpected traffc problems caused the late arrival of several guests...and the registrar!, the slight, unavoidable delay was dealt with in a professional calm manner.
Our luxury studio room was lovely. Plenty of room, with the required facilities and a big, comfortable bed. We wouldn't hesitate to stay here again and wouldn't hesitate to recommend Lancaster House to our friends. The only minor complaint was that some of the external doors didn't have a slow, self-closing mechanism and so we had to be very careful that little fingers weren't trapped when these doors slammed shut in the wind.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Many thanks indeed for the great review.

I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed all aspects of the wedding celebrations. With months of careful planning the big day always goes smoothly, even when unforeseen traffic problems can occur.

I do hope we can welcome you back again and thank you once again for the wonderful review.

Rugby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

This was my second stay in this hotel, The staff throughout the hotel were once again friendly and helpful. The food was of a good standard - hot and well cooked. The room was well maintained with a lovely large bed, although the plumbing in my friends room was faulty.

Room Tip: First floor rooms are large with good views.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
TimBell, General Manager at Lancaster House, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to post a positive review following your recent return stay with us at Lancaster House.

I was glad to learn that, overall, you enjoyed your second visit with us.

I hope we can welcome you back again. Indeed, if you are ever planning another stay, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

Hotel within 5 min drive of centre of Lancaster. Excellent breakfast,nicely appointed rooms, very clean although mould traces in bathroom disappointing. Comfy bed. Very good gym, nice pool, free wi-fi welcome. Why only 3 Stars? Booked hotel night before an early meeting, rather than a 5.30am start, only to be 'terrified' by a false fire alarm at 5.10am. Awful way to be awoken & totally defeated whole point of an expensive hotel stay.Stood outside in a car park at dawn bleary eyed to then spot other residents sat inside? Total disorgansisation. OK false alarms can't be helped, but staff not the slighest concerned. A discount on another stay or free meal would have demonstrated some regret. Finally, please please please fit soft close mechanisms to doors, to avoid the constant door slams that plague anyone requiring sleep before midnight & beyond.Call Hunday Manor Nr Workington for details of these door mechanisms.Best sleep ever

Room Tip: Note; no singles, only doubles & twins, so solo travellers pay for two. Fine, you occupy a room...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Many thanks for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us at Lancaster House.

I am conscious that you have since been in touch personally, and I hope you will have found my response to your satisfaction. But for the purpose of the TA community, I would like to clarify the matter surrounding fire evacuations.

It is our legal duty, as enforced by the Fire Safety Act 2005 to evacuate the entire premises whenever the alarm sounds, however many times it may ring, and regardless of whatever causes the alarm. The alarms are obviously set at a specific decibel level to ensure that all guests are aware of the evacuation.

During an evacuation, we will not allow guests back to their bedrooms until we are completely satisfied that there is no risk or danger to public safety and it can take some time to conclude this investigation, especially when the cause is not immediately apparent. Naturally, I agree that an alarm in the middle of the night is certainly not the most convenient of times, but I am sure you understand that we take the health, safety and welfare of our guests with the utmost seriousness and we would never compromise this policy in anyway. As I'm sure you will appreciate, the consequences of not evacuating the guests in what could have been a real fire would be unthinkable.

Fire evacuations are rare, and night time ones even rarer. Thankfully, it was not a real fire that caused this evacuation but the alarms did sound for a genuine reason and the cause has to be fully established.

This particular evacuation was made more difficult for my night team by the fact that the hotel was accommodating a large number of disabled guests attending a conference nearby and the night team obviously had to prioritise these guests for the purpose of evacuation and showing due care and diligence, hence why the other "more able-bodied" guests may have felt a lack of communication with our team, but were still able to get themselves to safety by following the fire exit notices.

I'm sure you will understand that we, just like any public building, place of work, shopping centre, cinema or airport, must evacuate the building when the alarm sounds, regardless of time of day, and obviously we had no intent to disturb anyone's sleep. To this end, I cannot and will not offer any form of compensation, as I feel this would be an unjust request in a serious situation like this, for what was our legally bound duty to awaken the guests and evacuate them to safety. This is the same policy which is upheld by all reputable hotel groups and public buildings being sanctioned by all UK Fire Safety Officers.

I am sorry that you did not have a good nights sleep but I hope you understand our legal obligations in these rare and unforeseen matters. I am also a little disappointed that you felt compelled to publish an online review before giving me the chance to explain the situation and prove to you that we do value your business and very much wish you to return to Lancaster House in the future.

With regards to your Room tip, I notice you booked through a 3rd party website which only sells double occupancy rooms. Whilst all of our rooms are either twins/doubles, we do sell single occupancy rates direct through our own official English Lakes Hotels website.

Once again, I am sorry that you did not get a good night's sleep but you have my word that I am committed to the happiness, satisfaction and more importantly, the safety of all our guests.

On a more positive note, I thank you for your kind comments about our hotel facilities, and following our direct correspondence, I am sure than on a future visit, you will leave with a much more favourable impression of Lancaster House.

Tim Bell, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lancaster
Holiday Inn Lancaster
#1 of 1 in Thurnham
Royal Kings Arms
Royal Kings Arms
#7 of 7 in Lancaster

Been to Lancaster House? Share your experiences!