“Mixed feelings” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Reading, United Kingdom
“Mixed feelings”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel a couple of times. The classic double rooms that I have had have been tired and in dire need of redecoration so much so that the last time I had to upgrade to a luxury suite which was very nice, save for the fact that the shower had a mind of its own as far as the temperature was concerned.

The staff without exception are great and nothing is too much trouble. The breakfast is one of the best I have had and the dinners are very good.

The one very annoying thing is that it does not have wifi and charges for the Internet.

Room Tip: Don't take the originally built rooms on the ground and first floor
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TimBell, General Manager at Lancaster House, responded to this review, May 24, 2012
Many thanks for your review following your recent stays with us.

Whilst it was pleasing to learn that you enjoyed our food offering and service, I am sorry that on one of your stays the bedroom did not meet your expectations. You may have read from a previous review that we are undergoing a rolling modernisation of our older bedrooms and many have now been completed. On a future visit, I am sure you will find these to your personal satisfaction. Please contact me personally if you are ever in the area again and I will arrange this for you.

For the purpose of the TA community, I must stress that we do not charge residents for the internet which is available via a simple plug-in wire in the rooms and also wirelessly in the public areas. We are also planning extending the wi-fi to our rooms in the next few months.

I do hope we can welcome you back again soon and many thanks for the review.

Tim Bell, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
Douglas, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2012

Nicely located for the M6.

Arrived later on but a warm welcome.

We had to eat in the bar as the restaurant was closed (as from 2130) which wasn't a major issue but a little dissappointing as reception had asked if we could be fitted in as we arrived, the answer had been yes, as long as we were there in 5 mins - but when we arrived at the restaurant 5 mins later we were asked if we would go to the bar and have a bar snack instead.

We thought the Bar meals were expensive for what they were (£13 for frozen chips and a small Haddock).

The bar had 2 TVs - one of which was quite loud and intrusive.

Breakfast was very good - no portion control as it was a self service buffet! Very tasty, well cooked, presented and a good choice.

Room well appointed, clean and a very comfy bed. TV small, but the cups in the room were big and complimentary biscuits tasty.

Jury is out on this one - may stay again (not a will or would - more a might!)

Many thanks for your review following your recent stay with us.

Whilst it was pleasing to learn you enjoyed certain aspects of your stay with us, I was disappointed to learn that there were certain parts that you did not.

I do hope we can welcome you back again soon and hopefully you can then enjoy the restaurant which I am sorry you missed on your last visist.

If you are ever planning another visit, please do contact me personally and I will arrange a much more agreeable stay for you.

Widnes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2012

I stayed with my wife visiting the local area, we were both impressed by the hotel, and it was both warm and welcoming. The food and bar facilities were of a high standard and reasonably priced.
My only criticism is that this hotel does not offer a Forces Discount which is rather disappointing.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your review following your recent stay with us.

Glad that, overall you enjoyed your stay.

Whilst we don't offer discounts for any particular industry, we do have our Free company "Relish" card available through the English Lakes website which I am sure you will find gives great value special offers and discounts for our regular guests,.

If you are ever in the area again, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will endeavour to assure you another comfortable stay.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2012 via mobile

We have family in Lancaster area and so regularly stay at Lancaster House for relaxing week-end breaks. This May Day weekend was another enjoyable stay. The luxury studios are so comfortable. A massive bed, large bathroom and a lounge area. If the shower was double size to match the oversize bath it would be perfect. Reception staff are always friendly and helpful. Bar staff and room service is excellent. It is not cheap but it is good value and if there is a special offer then take it.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for taking the time to post a review following your regular stays with us.

Glad you like our Luxury Studio Suites, they really are quite something aren't they? And I will of course share your praise about the team with my colleagues here.

If you are in the area again, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will ensure you have another comfortable stay.

UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2012

Decent rooms. Nice bar. Good breakfast although a little crowded as a result of a wedding party which resulted in lengthy delays in food being replenished.

Many thanks for your review following your recent stay with us.

Glad that, overall you enjoyed your stay, and hopefully you will use us again.

As with any full hotel, breakfasts can be a little busy at "peak" times, and as our food is cooked fresh, replenishment can take a few moments. We would rather ensure our food comes out from our kitchen at a high quality rather than the risk of serving under-cooked food or produce which has been stored hot for long periods and ultimately "dried-up".

Durham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

We stayed at this hotel so that we could watch our son compete in the annual York & Lancaster Universities sports event, Roses 2012, and were pleasently surprised. It forms a part of the University of Lancaster campus and as such can be a bit off putting, however the room was very good, well appointed, clean and spacious. The hotel has recently extended and introduced small studio style accommodation and we took advantage of this which turned out to be a good thing as the York University Rugby team were staying at the other end of the hotel. Our peace and quiet was disturbed into the early hours of the morning by a wedding celebration where the smokers would stand out side of our window which was OK until one of them launched into an extended performance, singing at the top of his voice in a style reminiscent of Vick Reeves on 'Shooting Stars'. The moral of the story is to avoid the weekend wedding trade if you can, however this can be said of a lot of hotels these days.

The restaurant struggled with the volume of people mid morning, nevertheless the food was OK at breakfast if a little uninspired (rescued a bit by excellent Cumberland sausages).

Overall there were a few issues here, but nevertheless a bit of a hidden gem. Will use again at a quieter time mid-week.

Room Tip: Studio accommodation in the new extension is good value though the route through the hotel is a bit...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us.

I was glad that, overall, you enjoyed your stay. I am sorry that a wedding guest had chosen to be inconsiderate towards our other guests. Normally, weddings taking place at the hotel has not effect whatsoever on the comfort of our other customers, and I am sure you can appreciate, we cannot foresee the behaviour of guests in advance. But rest assured, we do take action when guests act in a manner which interrupts the comfort and sleep of our customers.

If you are ever popping over to Lancaster again, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will endeavour to give you a much more peaceful stay.

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2012

First things first, let me say that the food they serve, both during breakfast (absolutely magical scrambled eggs, best I've ever had) and during dinner (an extremely diverse and imaginative menu) is just wonderful. There were many on-site services like spa, hairdresser etc. which I don't comment on since I did not have time for that. One small thing that left me mildly unhappy was the lack of noise insulation (totally surprising for a place of that calibre) - I heard everything said by my neighbours, every step in the corridor, etc. And the cleaners coming in rather early did not help to get much sleep. Once something is done about it, the hotel would be most pleasant

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank shuffle81
Many thanks for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us here at Lancaster House.

Whilst I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your dining experience, I was naturally disappointed to learn that you didn't get a good night's sleep.

We are improving the insulation between a small number of rooms where this problem has arisen before with upgraded doors, so I am sure you will find on your next visit that you will not be able to hear any other rooms and you will be assured a much more peaceful night.

If you are ever in the area again, please do not hesitate to contact me personally and I will endeavour to give you a better night's rest.

Tim Bell, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lancaster
Holiday Inn Lancaster
#1 of 1 in Thurnham
Royal Kings Arms
Royal Kings Arms
#7 of 7 in Lancaster

Been to Lancaster House? Share your experiences!