“Lovely hotel, bit pricey”
Review of Lancaster House

Lancaster House
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Lancaster
GreenLeadersGold level
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel, bit pricey”
Reviewed August 6, 2011

We stayed here as a family in a suite room. It was really really nice, the room was gorgeous but it has a price to match but couldn't fault the facilities. We had room service delivered which was a lot of money for what it was but this is a high class hotel. The breakfast was very good although they seemed a bit rushed off their feet, it was the day before valentines day & seemed a bit short staffed, they didn't try to hide the fact either with members of staff hurrying here & there. We were however welcomed as a family. The spa faciliites were great, we used the pool etc with our young family (children aged 3yrs & 2 months old) & spent a relaxing morning there. This was certainly a treat, would like to visit just as a couple so we could sit by the open fire & sip on some wine!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
TimBell, General Manager at Lancaster House, responded to this review, September 28, 2011
Many thanks indeed for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I will certainly share your feedback with the whole team here.

In terms of the point you raised about value, please ensure you check out the great special offers through English Lakes Hotels and also our "Relish card" which offers regular guests great food and beverage discounts.

I very much hope we can have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon. Indeed, if you are considering a return visit, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will endeavour to ensure you have another great stay.

Tim Bell, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
Derbyshire
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for a couple of weekends between moving house and used it as a base to explore the area. It's next to Lancaster University and the campus backs onto the hotel although this did not affect us. It is set back from the road and in a quiet spot. There is a pleasant pool and spa area and an outdoor jacuzzi.

The hotel is close to Lancaster and there are a few pubs/restaurants in nearby villages and so we opted to dine out in the evenings (you do have to drive if you eat out). The breakfasts were good with plenty of choice and the rooms were very comfortable with some great quality toiletries.

This is a popular wedding hotel and the bar can be busy at weekends but we found that this did not adversely affect our enjoyment of the hotel.

This is a good location if you want to be away from the hustle and bustle of the City (we really liked Lancaster) or the more popular lakeland villages. Morecambe and Beatrix Potter attractions offer variety for families with children and are not too far away.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2011

I stay at the hotel very regularly on business and have been doing so for the last few months. It's a pleasant place to stay, most of the staff are excellent and the gym and pool are very high standard (although it would be better if the gym opened before 7am). The rooms are high standard, the suites are very comfortable indeed.
My main gripe may sound rather pathetic, but breakfast is really really disappointing because the bread is such poor quality - is the cheapest stuff you can buy at the local Tesco? Can we please please have fresh bread that we can cut ourselves?

Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank fred186363
Many thanks indeed for taking the time to post a review following your recent stays with us. I will certainly share your feedback with the whole team here.

I note your point you raised about the bread, and we have addressed this by choosing another, thicker-sliced, significantly higher-quality loaf for breakfast. Alas, the cutting of fresh bread by the customers is a practice we would like to have carried on, but I'm sure you can appreciate that we must respect Health & Safety guidelines/legislation, and that sharp knives in public areas where children can often be found is a practice we simply could not continue. We would naturally try and avoid accidents before they happen.

Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We have just returned from a 2 night stay at this hotel and loved every minute there, from the minute we booked in the staff were friendly.and helpfull, the facilities were superb, even an outdoor hot tub and the buffet breakfast was first class.
our only worry on arrival was the proximity to the university but this was totally unfounded, there was no noise even though our room faced the campus and it had the added bonus of being on the main lancaster bus route so we left our car at the hotel and got the local bus into lancaster and back which picks you up and drops you off at the uni which is only a 2/3 minute walk away, the hotel reception provided us with directions and a timetable.
It is great to stay in a hotel where the staff actually look as though they enjoy their work, nothing was too much trouble for them.
a great stay and we will be back

1 Thank jamieson483
Many thanks indeed for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us, especially your high praise for my colleagues here. I will certainly share your feedback with the whole team.

West Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2011

This 4 star hotel is just off the A6 south of Lancaster and right next to the University. It has it's own private drive off the A6 so there is no noticeable road noise. Free parking. We booked through Hotels.com and paid £89 for a double room including breakfast whih we thought was good value.

Free use of the spa leisure facilities for guests including outside hot tub.

N/IRELAND
Reviewed July 25, 2011

We recently spent a night in this hotel and I can't speak highly enough of the service we received. We will certainly be back.

Cheadle Hulme, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 20, 2011

I stayed here (paid for by work!) when I attended the Young Public Sector Programme in June. The room was clean and a good size with a nice window seat looking out onto the fields and university campus (I was a student there years ago so it was very nostalgic going back!). The food was of a good standard.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank shadeofshyness
TimBell, General Manager at Lancaster House, responded to this review, July 27, 2011
Many thanks indeed for your positive review following your recent stay with us. I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your return visit to Lancaster. I'm sure the place must have brought back many happy memories of your time at Lancaster University. The Uni has changed somewhat I'm sure you will agree, and for the better may I also say, and it is well-deserving of it's new elite status in the UK University rankings.

We always love welcoming the "Leaders of Tomorrow" to Lancaster House and we're always delighted that the delegates seem to enjoy their course with us so much.

If you are ever planning another visit to Lancaster, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will ensure you have another comfortable stay

Tim Bell, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lancaster
Holiday Inn Lancaster
#1 of 10 in Morecambe
Royal Kings Arms
Royal Kings Arms
#7 of 7 in Lancaster

Been to Lancaster House? Share your experiences!