“Like this place...”

Ranked #30 of 231 Restaurants in Lancaster
Cuisines: Deli, British, Bar
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Water Witch was originally converted from purpose built stables in 1978 and offers a large range of high quality dishes ranging from Great British classics to continental cuisine. Our Head Chef sources all of our produce wherever possible from local British suppliers, enabling us to reduce our food miles and serve you the very best of what's in season. Whether you're visiting to sample our superb array of drinks, dine in our restaurant or combining a little of both - you're always guaranteed a warm welcome at the Water Witch.
Reviewed May 29, 2019 via mobile

Impromptu visit for tea whilst visiting family. For a start, a great bar full of proper ales. Unfortunately I was driving but I will be back, using the train next time! Plenty of choice with the food, difficult to choose so plumped for a gammon steak. Various burgers, scampi and lasagne picked by the others. All the food was well presented and appetising when delivered. If there was a criticism, the choices of deserts was limited but it really didn't detract from the experience. The creme brulee was generous and delicious, sticky toffee pud and banoffee pot spot on and very good quality local ice-cream.
Great food, location and atmosphere, good quality, good price.
We'll be back, the bar needs further exploration!

Reviewed May 29, 2019

Went for an evening meal with my girlfriend. From the start the waitress got the drinks wrong, this wasn't too much of a problem since she changed them quickly after I went to the bar to let them know. Ordered the food, for starters, I got the soup of the day - mint pea - which on the menu was served with "warm rustic bread", this in-fact turned out to be two slices of Kingsmill bread - cold, clearly not warm rustic bread! Also, the "mint pea" soup tasted and looked like a can of mushy peas. When the mains arrived they were not at all better, the sausage and mash was horrible and tasted as though it had been warmed up and tasted worse than a ready meal. The Burger we also ordered was one like you ordered from a burger van at a carnival and was horrible and greasy. This caused us to leave and go and get dessert from somewhere else. WOULD NOT RECOMMEND

Date of visit: April 2019
Reviewed May 27, 2019 via mobile

I decided to have my tea at the Waterwitch after work, the bar has a fantastic range of local and non local ales, I was spoilt for choice!
They have a whole separate menu for vegetarians and vegans with a great range of dishes, I settled on a mushroom stroganoff and I was not disappointed. It was so full of flavour and perfectly seasoned, my compliments to the chef! I ordered just after two tables of four so I expected a wait but my food came promptly. The staff are lovely and the manager seemed like a fantastic gentleman. I'll definitely be returning here, I could not have been more satisfied!!

Reviewed May 15, 2019

So disappointed. They were busy, but ineadable. Really sad because it can be good. Had a full refund but off home to cook.

Reviewed May 6, 2019

Set in old stables that used to house the horses that pulled the Canal Barges before the steam and later diesel engines took over, this Pub is in an ideal position alongside the canal. Many pleasure boats moor along side and the seating outside is great on a sunny day. There is always a good selection of Real Ales and good food on offer, including ice-cream for the younger visitors ! The staff have always been friendly and helpful every time I have stopped at this pub on my walks along the Lancaster Canal.

Date of visit: June 2018