“Lovely canal setting.”

Ranked #30 of 231 Restaurants in Lancaster
Cuisines: Deli, British, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Water Witch was originally converted from purpose built stables in 1978 and offers a large range of high quality dishes ranging from Great British classics to continental cuisine. Our Head Chef sources all of our produce wherever possible from local British suppliers, enabling us to reduce our food miles and serve you the very best of what's in season. Whether you're visiting to sample our superb array of drinks, dine in our restaurant or combining a little of both - you're always guaranteed a warm welcome at the Water Witch.
Reviewed March 2, 2019 via mobile

First time to The Water Witch on a wet and windy evening, very welcoming pub with a range of ales, varied menu, friendly and attentive staff. We ordered the cajun burger and beef burger and both were excellent, it comes with a tub of fries and a small salad, personally would have preferred a bit more salad but not an issue. Both burgers were tasty, cooked and presented well. Only one slight comment was that it was a bit cool inside, there is a log burner but it wasn’t lit, such a shame on a cold and wet evening, although I do appreciate they get very hot it you are sitting close to them! Look forward to going back again particularly in the summer months when we can sit outside and enjoy the canal setting.

Date of visit: March 2019

Reviewed February 27, 2019 via mobile

I came here with a friend today and I am so glad we did, the weather was lovely , the service was very good and the food was great. My friend had the beer battered fish sandwich with sweet potato fries and I had the mixed seafood risotto from the specials menu. Portions were good and the food was very tasty. If that risotto was permanently on the menu I would struggle to try anything else as it was so good. I am glad that this place is still open as it certainly seems to have picked up after it was just ok a while ago. I wish them the best of luck as great location , friendly staff and wonderful food

Reviewed February 25, 2019

We visited on Sunday 24th February which was a lovely sunny day and so we were able to grab the last available table outside. Obviously the weather and thus the number of unexpected customers had caught them out as they were woefully under staffed and were running out of several items on the menu.
There was a big queue at the till for food and 1 person serving at the bar. When we ordered we were informed that there was a 45 minute wait for food and so we decided to order breads & oils to share to tide us over.

When the breads and oil (no plural as it was just balsamic vinegar in a tiny pot with a splash of olive oil added) came, it was obvious that they had run out of the usual bread served with this. We had 2 triangles of toasted ciabatta which was actually nice but not enough for 4 people plus toasted standard white and brown sliced bread (the sort that is usually sold as economy in supermarkets).

The main courses arrived, 2 roast beef dinners and an Indian chicken but instead of the belly pork ordered, my daughter was presented with roast gammon. The waiter took the gammon away only to return to inform us that the belly pork would be an additional 30 minutes. In the end my daughter settled for the roast gammon as it was offered free of charge but left half of it as it was cold and the mash potato was lumpy. Myself and my other daughter had roast beef which was fatty and accompanied by Yorkshire pudding which was more like a deep fried fritter, lumpy mashed potato, roast potatoes which were ok, 1 small piece of broccoli and 3 slices of carrot! My husband's Indian chicken was ok but was missing the raita, we couldn't be bothered to complain about this. All in all it was one of the worst roast dinners I have ever had in a pub, a huge disappointment.

The table next to us also had issues and we saw one of their mains being sent back and one of the meals had been forgotten.

I understand that unusually sunny weather caught them out and so delays and unavailability of some items could be expected but this is no excuse for the appalling quality of food that was served.

We will definitely go elsewhere next time we are in Lancaster.

Reviewed February 24, 2019 via mobile

We wanted somewhere to eat, pub grub but a little bit classier. It was recommended to us by a member of staff at another pub in Lancaster. It has a great location right on the canal side. The restaurant inside was lovely decorated although a little cold. We did get warmer though once we had eaten. Food was excellent and presented to a high standard. Staff also very friendly. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed February 22, 2019 via mobile

A lovely pub by the canal with lots of seating outside. We had a lovely lunch in the sunshine. Wide range of vegetarian and vegan options available. Polite friendly staff and delicious food.