“Expectations too high?”

Bistro 26
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Mark Cavanagh aims at Bistro26 to make his guests feel welcome and experience great seasonal food. The kitchen specialises in modern British cuisine using locally sourced produce wherever possible along with homemade desserts, ice creams and breads. The menus are supplemented by daily changing seasonal specials including Bowland fillet, Scotforth lamb, Morecambe Bay shrimps and Trough of Bowland game. Bistro26 is situated in the heart of the historic city of Lancaster and can be discovered close to the Sun Inn, along the Sun Street.If it is a quiet romantic table for two, a business dinner or a celebration meal, Bistro26 will be delighted to welcome you.
Reviewed February 22, 2013

My boyfriend and I went to this restaurant recently, after living in Lancaster for nearly 7 years and having worked as a waitress myself at a few other popular restaurants in the city I have always wanted to eat here having heard amazing reviews from friends.
Upon arrival we were greeted by a friendly waitress and shown to our table. She was attentive but not over-bearing - perfect service.
Our starters arrived and we munched our way through, mine was the vegetarian cheese and chutney pastry which was alright, but could have done with a tiny bit more cheese and little less chutney, and it had too many leaves on it. For our mains I had the risotto and my boyfriend had the duck. My risotto was bland and just not as tasty as I had hoped. I felt a little disappointed as I had been looking forward to coming here for so long. My boyfriend polished off his duck which he said was lovely. For pudding I had the crumble - the highlight of my meal - delicious.
All in all it was a nice meal, though I didn't love it, which I so wanted to.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Another excellent meal, but why, oh why, have they changed the wine supplier? This restaurant used to stock a range of well-priced, really interesting wines, now just boring "wedding" wines on the list. I shall inquire about corkage before booking again. (The food is really good)

Reviewed February 18, 2013

visited here on saturday night. We both enjoyed the food, the service and the ambience. Scallops were lovely and both our mains top notch. Puds not quite as good but ok. The title of this review is a nod to the chef who is working his socks off to provide a very good product. He appeared to be cooking on his own which was a monumental acheivement given it was a busy saturday and he was cooking all the dishes from scratch. Well done indeed.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

We had booked a table for 17 on a week night, we decided to have a family celebration here after visiting several times previously and it always being great........and it didnt disappoint. We where the only people in the restaurant and the service was great, it was unintrusive but attentive and two waitresses where very cheerful and polite. The food was of a high standard and considering we did not preorder the chef produced great food. The canapes served whilst we ordered where delicous - locally made mini sausages and pine nut and parmaham bread. the starters arrived quickly and everyone enjoyed them, the main courses where very good, the steaks and fish where perfectly cooked with a great variety of seasonal veg. My only ( very minor )complaint would be with the dessert which was burnt on the bottom but other than that it was a great meal in a great little restaurant.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

My friend came up last weekend from Chester and so myself and my partner took her to bistro 26 as we have been a few times and always had a good meal, this was no exemption!!! They were only srving the special boards and not the main menu, I was nervous at first as my friend is a vegetarian, however she very easily made a choice. The food was amazing. I had the duck with orange salad as my starter and cod with morecambe scrimp on top for my main. The portions for me were just the right amount and would be the amount I would cook at home as quite healthy and dont have massive portions. The staff were very attentive as they always are when we go there.