“Okay. . . The Eton mess should have come with a straw!!!!!!”
Review of The Borough

The Borough
Ranked #8 of 202 Restaurants in Lancaster
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: A warm and welcoming pub restaurant located in the heart of Lancaster City Centre. From Camra award winning ales to Michelin recommend food we aim to offer something for everyone.
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Lovely atmoshpere. . .

Sat down promptly then preceded to wait for at least an hour. . . Am pleased we didnt order mains.

The food finally came and didnt disappoint. .
Mains. . Fish and chips. . Crispy light batter that was well seasoned wrapped in a news paper like old style fish and chips. . Nice touch. .
Ribs and wings, ribs not to meaty were very tasty, a touch sweet though, the wings were dry so gave them to the others I was dinning with. Coleslaw was creamy and the thick cut chips were nice and crispy. . My ribs were placed on top of my salad which made it warm. . Didnt like that.

Rack of lamb was the star of the show. . Very very nice, wish I had ordered that. . . My friend was happy with hers.

Pudding was a okay. . The brownie got the thumbs up but the Eton mess was a mess. . . ( could have done with a straw to drink it with, it had the texture of a smoothie, the flavours were nice though, the exercution could definately be better)

The atomsphere is lovely, very lively surroundings, not sure if its easy acess though.

All over okay visit. . Liked the mains but not the wait.

1  Thank Flora M
Write a ReviewReviews (1,028)

Reviewed April 30, 2014

I recently had my retirement celebration in the function room upstairs. I chose the Borough as I had been so impressed with a friends retirement bash. I was not disappointed. The room is intimate and very well presented. I ordered Prosecco for everyone on arrival, which was beautifully served with a strawberry garnish. The staff were just fantastic and let everyone mingle and chat until all arrived. Everyone enjoyed the food which was served impressively promptly to a party of 45. The whole group enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere of the function room and it was so enjoyable, I heard today that a colleague who attended is going to book her retirement there in September. Well done to all the staff at The Borough.

LANCSeater, Manager at The Borough, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2014

Hi,

Thank you for choosing to celebrate your retirement party in our function room. I'm glad the room and atmosphere suited your needs.

Enjoy your retirement!

Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

Went for a quick pub tea with my bf and mother yesterday. Really lovely as always. Good service. Waitress was really nice and helpful and the food came very quickly. I had something off the specials, red tractor chicken with garlic mash, mushroom and red wine jus, which I would highly recommend. And my mum and bf had the burgers which I've had myself before, always a winner! Love the chips.. Managed to steal a few of there plates. There always fat, fluffy and crunchy. Looking forward to the next trip :)

LANCSeater, Manager at The Borough, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Hi,

It is great to hear how much you enjoyed the food and that you have been before.

Look forward to seeing you soon

Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

Had a great meal with free bubbly because we booked online. Food great lovely menu personal service. Great price pre theatre meal. Then on to dukes theatre 2 mins away. Excellent great atmosphere.

Hi,

It is great to hear that you enjoyed the free fizz and theatre deal. I hope you will visit again soon.

Reviewed April 17, 2014

We visited the Borough on a recommendation of a lady in a book shop, after looking through the windows of a couple of pubs that we didn't fancy! The Borough was a great find. The front has lots of comfy sofas and leather armchairs. They do a wide range of beers. At the back is a restaurant area with large tables. Service was quick. We went on 'steak night' and we both chose steak. It was £10 and very good value. The steaks were cooked to perfection with lovely home-made onion rings and good chips. Well worth a visit!

Hi,

Thank you for your custom and kind review. I hope you visit us again soon.