“100% recommended”

The Rocking Horse Chinese
Ranked #69 of 231 Restaurants in Lancaster
Description: Our award-winning chef Ming and his team are dedicated to provide our customers with authentic and fusion Chinese cuisine.
Reviewed April 11, 2019 via mobile

Visited on a Thursday evening in the Easter holidays - the waitress was friendly, personable and made us feel very welcome.The food was beautiful, I had the sizzling aubergine on a hot plate and the toffee banana fritters for dessert and it was the most amazing chinease meal I’ve ever had, flavoursome and perfectly cooked. The decor was modern and light topping off the overall experience. Would 100% recommend visiting :)

Date of visit: April 2019
1  Thank Phoebe N

Reviewed April 7, 2019

Quite a choice in Lancaster but went here as it was late afternoon and they were open all day so knew we wouldn't be rushed.
Prices tad higher than others in the area and the decor is a bit bland so not exactly a romantic atmosphere, but there was other seating upstairs that may have been a nicer area. However this review is about the food, which I have to say was excellent! it was different from the usual list found in the UK so we tried the spicy fish hotpot and their signature chilli beef with sides of noodles and egg fried rice. Starters were salt and pepper prawns and crab spring rolls.
All were cooked fresh, the service was excellent and the food lovely! we wanted it spicy and it came just right to our taste (we do not like bland food). Portions were large and we struggled to finish it all (two persons).
On the basis of our experience I would go again and also recommend the dishes we had. Total bill was £61 including endless pot of Chinese tea and bottle of nice Merlot.

Date of visit: April 2019
Reviewed January 22, 2019 via mobile

Firstly, it's a mess. No investment in this place. Scruffy, unkempt feels cheap & dirty, left side of the restaurant seems to be for storing junk as well, not a place for a romantic meal!

Secondly, totally inappropriate music, played extremely loud. I mean, I love ABBA, then Nirvana, but usually at home in my kitchen or at a party, not when I pop in to a 'restaurant'for a tasty afternoon bite....

Thirdly, staff members either don't know how to treat customers or they don't care! One female sat on a bench constantly on her phone, the other, after stopping playing games on her phone, then decided to spray her face with water & sort her hair out.

Fourthly, the food was below average at best. The menu says their "award winning master chef", I think he must've been away. Dumplings, pan fried, were warm at base, and defrost cold at top. Egg fried rice, tasteless & hardly any egg.

To finish, guys, come on! If you want to be successful it takes love, passion, commitment, investment in people, marketing, attention to detail, ethics, (haven't you heard about the plastic issue? Try paper cups!).

I'd rate you as the worst Chinese restaurant in Lancaster right now, and there are a lot of options, which I will gladly take after giving you a second chance. Get help!

Date of visit: January 2019
1  Thank 2303lolb
Reviewed January 6, 2019

This is such a great restaurant. We’ve been a few times and it never fails to disappoint. The service is absolutely excellent, the team go out of their way to help our kids choose and experience new flavours, which are always seriously tasty. The food is fresh and seriously tasty - we cannot recommend this more highly!

Date of visit: December 2018
Reviewed November 27, 2018 via mobile

Visited this evening, very welcoming staff, incredible food, standout dishes were sweet and sour chicken and sizzling aubergine, in a whole other league! Can't wait to go back soon!

Date of visit: November 2018