“What a find!”
Review of The Ashton

The Ashton
Ranked #1 of 13 Lancaster B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 20, 2013

My wife and I and our 3 month old boy stayed here for one night on our way back from Scotland and loved it. We were welcomed by our host James with a cup of coffee and a slice of caramel blondie which was delicious (and I don't normally like cake!) When we asked about local restaurants James tried to make a booking for us but as most were full, he offered to make us dinner instead. We are glad they were full because dinner turned out to be the best chicken pie I have ever eaten. The quality of the food again came through at breakfast - a wide selection available and it was all delicious. The surrounds and the town of Lancaster itself are nothing spectacular (the Ashton is quite close to the M6) but once inside the rooms are warm and welcoming and very well decorated. The shower also deserves a mention, it was brilliant. Great selection of DVDs too. All in all this beats staying at most hotels hands down, and at a much better price.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank John B

Reviewed February 10, 2013

That was our introduction to The Ashton!
James is a great host and with The Ashton he has a 5 Star gem that does not meet, it exceeds all your expectations!
When we walked in the door, James warmly greeted us and asked if we would like a hot drink or a glass of wine and a blondie to go with it. A great start and the level didn't drop till we left the next day.
We stayed in the Attic Room and would heartily recommend it - size, decor and layout are all second to none.
Don't plan any big meals after one of James' breakfast - they're big, tasty and full of top quality ingredients (including home-made bread and eggs from the "girls")
Nothing is too much effort - we got directions to our next port of call, a slice (or two) of banana loaf to take with us and James even helped with our bags when we left.
If you're anywhere in the vicinity then do yourself a favour and stay here - you won't regret it.
One night wasn't enough - we will be back

Room Tip: The Attic Room is excellent - but I don't think you'll be disappointed whatever room you cho...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JPS_in_WGS
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I'm from Lancaster originally, in fact, my Mum & Dad only live 5 minutes away but I thought I'd spoil us by staying here and The Ashton has utterly exceeded my expectations! Everything about the place is beautiful, from the stylish decor, to the amazingly stylish and comfortable rooms, incredible shower and bathroom products.

It's the little touches that make the differences - the offer of tea and cake on arrival, the freshly ground coffee and real milk inn the rooms, the little bag of sweets and biscuits, the REN bathroom products, the bathrobes and James is very welcoming, helpful and makes you feel at home when you step through the door.

The breakfast is amazing from the sideboard groaning with freshly made bread, cereals, Greek yoghurt and fruit to the cooked breakfast of locally sourced and very yummy eggs, bacon and sausages.

The Ashton has utterly surprised, charmed and thoroughly exceeded my expectations and Lancaster should be proud that we have such a wonderful boutique B&B in our little city!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We only stayed for one weekend but could have very happily stayed much longer .
James the proprietor has certainly got it just right , I'm sure he couldn't perfect it !!
Food / service and cleanliness is amazing .

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank cheryl w
Reviewed January 1, 2013

This was our second trip to The Ashton (having first spent a few days there around the period of our getting married in 2010), and it was a complete delight to return.

James, as ever, is incredibly warm and welcoming, and always thinks of details that, as a guest, you might overlook. The fact that the rooms have REN toiletries, dressing gowns, REAL coffee, REAL milk (!), a selection of high-quality of teas and other delightful details (bag of sweets!) reflects the utter perfectionism that James applies to all he does. Decor is stunning, understated and beautifully lit. Perhaps needless to add, it's the cleanest hotel we've ever stayed in.

Breakfast is unbelievably good - and you know you're onto a winner when you're offered pancakes as a starter (!) - not just because of all the locally sourced ingredients, but because the host is such an outstanding cook. That food is served in a picturesque room, at a glorious wooden table, whilst gentle music plays in the background, only enhances the experience.

Everything about this place is what every hotel surely aspires to be. If you fancy a special night or two away, with easy access to Lancaster, go to the Ashton. Perfection.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DoctorKate_W
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I was lucky enough to stay at The Ashton for a couple of nights a week throughout November and December. I can honestly say the high standards and exceptional service never slipped - I loved my room and it was always impeccably presented. If you enjoy a nice bath I thoroughly recommend the ground floor grand room (and apparently the internet signal is a bit better in that room too!)

I loved the breakfasts! I managed to get through nearly all the options and can say they are all delicious - I think the smoked salmon and scrambled eggs was my favourite. I also ate dinner at The Ashton quite regularly and enjoyed every single meal - spaghetti & meatballs with the baked Camembert just tipped it though!

The only recommendations I would make it maybe having a clock in each room, as I had to keep checking my phone, and also sometimes the milk in the fridge wasn't replenished.

Would love to stay here again - if you are working away it's so nice to stay somewhere with a homely feel and where you are actually called by your name! Thanks for a lovely time James.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank uzuria
Reviewed November 20, 2012

It is absolutely wonderful, a warm welcome, a great eye for detail... I loved my bed, the best night sleep i had in a long time. Breakfast is delicious. We had dinner one evening and it was very jummy. I can only agree with all the other good reviews - it's worth a trip to Lancaster just to stay at the Ashton. I am returning in 2013.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lancaster
Lancaster House
#1 of 1 in Thurnham
The Sun Hotel
The Sun Hotel
#3 of 13 in Lancaster

Been to The Ashton? Share your experiences!