“Fantastic all round”
Review of The Ashton

The Ashton
Ranked #1 of 13 Lancaster B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed here for new year a couple of years ago and loved every minute.
Mince pies on arrival to James' beautiful house. Lots of lovely touches throughout the house and beautiful gardens where everything is home grown. We had pre new year drinks and nibbles at the house and decided to eat out in Lancaster that night. when we came back that evening after dinner all the guests where together outside with Chinese lanterns and bubbly !(we wished we had stayed the whole night at the Ashton!). The following morning we had a fabulous breakfast...Lots of home made delights. we relaxed and walked around Morecambe bay. I would highly recommend the Ashton a hidden gem.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Elsee187069

Reviewed October 9, 2012

I have come away from The Ashton this morning with a totally different view of Lancaster. Its a sweet city and I like it; my daughter is at Uni there but she doesnt like it, coming home as often and as quickly as she can. Driving down the hill after staying at James' lovely place, with the green top of the Ashton memorial in the foreground overlooking the Lakeland Hills and Morecambe bay, I really felt this little city has something to commend it - and I wouldnt have seen that had it not been for The Ashton. A lovely country house hotel in its own lovely grounds, ducks and chickens roaming around coming to greet me as I parked on the gravel driveway. And a lovely welcome from James offering tea, coffee, wine, of which I could not partake sadly as I had to rush back out. James was as helpful as possible, arranging my taxi and giving me all the room information. What an amazing room, muted greens and browns, moody with beautiful lighting and accessories, fabulous tv, shower, iPod docking station (shame mine was on the blink) quality hairdryer and lovely toiletries. Wet room with shiny but not slippy floor tiles - James where DO you source your stuff? Not to mention instantly accessible free, quick wifi! Breakfast - how many fish and egg options can be available in the morning - as well as eggs benedict and full english of course, berries, yoghurt, cereals homemade bread amazing jams, I could go on and on and on. Oh and proper fruit juice.
I didnt want to leave and I cant wait to go back - especially as on my way out James handed me a slice of home made banana bread for my coffee stop on route.
Lancaster, you have a gem.

Room Tip: Just speak to James
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
ElvisBailey, Owner at The Ashton, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2012

Dear PepsiMaxRock,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review about your stay here and so pleased we've changed you outlook on the City. I was born and brought up in Lancaster and, like your daughter, the 18 year old me couldn't wait to get away!
Now however I've come to appreciate what a great place to live or visit it is. I love the variety of countryside just a short drive away and the Saturday farmer's market is now much more appealing than an afternoon at the Trafford Centre. (It's where I source a lot of my food, as well as the Farm Shop just next door.)
Do hope the damp iPhone fired up once it had dried out but if not a very good reason to upgrade to a new one!
Hope to see you on your next Uni visit.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

We were recommended to The Ashton by a friend who lives locally as somewhere convivial to stay overnight following an organised long weekend rally in The Lake District with our 60 year old classic car en route back to London. Originally we'd intended to stay at the Midland in Morecambe, where the rally had ended with Afternoon Tea, but they'd been unable to offer any assurance as to the safety of the car overnight.

We were really glad we chose The Ashton and it certainly proved the ideal place to unwind before making the return leg of our journey on the Monday morning in particularly filthy weather on the M6. James greeted us and bid us relax a while with a welcome glass of wine as we had already overdosed on the cakely calories.

In due course our cases magically transported themselves to our bedroom which was faultlessly luxurious and the bathroom/shower was the epitome of pristine plumbing and panache. It does not surprise us that James was formerly a set designer - this is self-evident as soon as one enters through The Ashton's classic portals. He has lavished great care and attention to detail into the interior decor to create a highly individualistic contemporary setting that offers comfort and joy to the weary traveller in equal measure.

We were reluctant to venture into Lancaster to locate a restaurant - a quick check of some of the suggested local establishments revealed that they were closed on Sunday evenings - and in truth we were ' all-dined-out ' so James offered us a simple platter supper instead. This turned out to be anything but simple but it was simply delicious. Various meats - a great tasting gammon ham, smoked chicken, local pork pie - home-made pickle, potato and green salad and a huge bowl of real chicken soup with chunks of crusty home-made bread. A veritable feast of goodness.

No wonder we slept so well. However, the sheer tactile pleasure of the crisp cotton sheets and the firm yet yielding beds would have undoubtedly sent an insomniac off to dreamland. Next morning after further pampering in the bathroom - where an assortment of quality toiletries awaited after a fantastic shower of monsoon proportions - we descended the stairs for breakfast.

Despite having more cooked breakfasts than I normally have in a year at home we both elected for yet another and we were not disappointed either by the quantity or, more importantly, by the quality. In this regard we both agreed that The Ashton's breakfast was vastly superior to the much-vaunted breakfast at Sharrow Bay where we had begun our Lakeland tour.

Thus fortified we set-off on our return journey concluding that this chance encounter was very much the highlight of our trip and vowing to return to one of the UK's hidden hospitality treasures.

Classic Car Guy

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Classiccarguy

It was an absolute pleasure to have you stay and a delight to have such a beautiful car parked on the drive. Made me wish I had a Classic car too but then I decided that between my parking & the dog's muddy paws it'd soon look like a scrapyard banger.

I can't remember which room you had but I'm so pleased you liked it. The bath/shower rooms are different in each but all have plenty of hot water & big Victorian style monsoon shower heads.

Hope to see you after next year's vintage rally. I can't promise better weather but I can promise a warm welcome, great bed, brilliant bathroom and a carefully sourced, lovingly cooked breakfast.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We arrived on a Saturday afternoon, a pair of stressed, harrassed parents desperatly looking for a serene sanctuary to try and remember our wedding anniversary. Earlier that day we had survived a kids party in a play centre, repaired a puncture and wrangled the kids over to grandma's house, we were a sorry state and needed a break! We had found The Ashton on the internet and after reading all the positive reviews we were very hopeful but a little sceptical (after all if you were honest would your first thought be Lancaster if you were asked to name a romantic destination?!) We were encouraged as we arrived, the house and grounds are very attractive and well kept from outside and we were greeted by fat contented clucking hens, we were already thinking that we had arrived somewhere a bit special. We were greeted by James who ushered us into another world -tasteful and soothing decor, fresh flowers, bookshelves groaning with intriguing looking books, candles lit, pleasant music playing in the background. We were plied with fresh coffee, red wine (and oh bliss) slices of freshly home baked banana and coconut loaf and carrot cake! The tension knots in our necks started to loosen.
Our room was fantastic, crisp white bed linen, lovely throws, (just how we imagine we would like our own home to look if we ever got time to finish decorating and it wasn't covered in bits of lego and laundry) everywhere we looked there were special little welcoming touches even down to candles and an oil burner lit invitingly next to the bath!
Breakfast the next day was one of the best we have ever enjoyed and the buffet included delicious homemade bread, My husband loved his full English and I was delighted when James even went to the trouble of making me a special off the menu vegetarian cooked breakfast. The staff were friendly but unobtrusive and we were allowed to take our time and enjoy reading the Sunday papers without feeling hurried. We had mentioned that we were thinking of visiting Kirkby Lonsdale and James suggested pleasant walks and places to visit and gave us printed directions which really helped us make the most of our precious time. By the time we reluctantly checked out we felt relaxed and rejuvenated and ready to enjoy our hectic family life again. It's lovely to think that in the future when life starts to feel a bit too chaotic that we could have the option of retreating to The Ashton, Lancaster to recharge our batteries!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank MrsHRed

DearMrsHRed,

So pleased you enjoyed your romantic escape in a world away from lego & laundry. Yes it's true Lancaster isn't people's first thought for a romantic night away but when you're short of time it makes perfect sense.

We're just 5 minutes from Junction 33 or 34 the M6 so you can be relaxing in the bath with a glass of something chilled an hour after leaving Manchester. Also we don't have a 2 night minimum stay policy for Saturday nights (except on Bank Holiday Weekends) unlike many of the places in more familiar romantic escape locations like the Lakes. Perfect if you can only get a babysitter for the one night.

Do hope to see you again soon, remind me about being vegetarian when you book & I'll be sure there's plenty of meat free choices on the breakfast menu.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

This is the 2nd review I have done for the Ashton. Why ?? because James the owner has maintained excellent standards in terms of rooms and comfort, the overall apperance of the house the quality of service and the food. I stay at a lot of hotels and b and bs and this is one of the best. Nothing compares with it in the price range. James makes the job of looking after people look easy when infact it is hard work and complex to please all. If you want to stay in Lancaster or need to stay in the area stay here .

Room Tip: They are all lovely
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank rgmc

Dear rgmc,

I think you might possibly be the first person the leave 2 reviews, thank you!

So pleased I'm still up to scratch, you're right it is hard work running a B&B, luckily I love it so it never feels like a chore.

Look forward to welcoming you on your next venture up North.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

The second time we have stayed here and we cannot find fault. James was charming and helpful and greeted us warmly. We had the ground floor room which was beautiful and my husband was delighted with the Bose docking station. Breakfast is my favourite meal and James doesnt disappoint, we had a wonderful time .

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Lovely to see you again & hear your news. Glad you had a lovely time on your second visit. I try really hard to keep things evolving & getting better; changing the breakfast menu & updating the rooms for example.
This week I've redecorated the lobby (much to my Mum's disgust it's now even darker) with sophisticated wallpaper and refined button back armchairs. With the candles lit, a plate of hot buttered crumpets & a glass of warming red it's a cosy antidote to the cold dark winter nights.

Reviewed September 11, 2012

Fantastic B&B, the moment we arrived the place was enchanting. We were offered a lovely glass of wine and a scone, or a cup of tea the service was outstanding!
Fully recommend this lovely place and would absolutely recommend this glorious place 100%

The food was outstanding and James was hospitable, helpful and friendly and would definitely recommend this beautiful place to everyone.

The room was immaculate,the food 1st class, the location was fantastic and the B&B was simply Devine from every last detail.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Thanks Nikki for taking the time to leave a review it's always very much appreciated.

James

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lancaster
Lancaster House
#1 of 1 in Thurnham
The Royal Hotel and Bar
The Royal Hotel and Bar
#2 of 13 in Lancaster

Been to The Ashton? Share your experiences!