“great work night out”

Ranked #31 of 268 Restaurants in Leamington Spa
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: A corner of France in the heart of Leamington Spa. Our style, the food, the atmosphere, the wine, is unashamedly French.
Reviewed May 15, 2014

I came here for a midweek meal out with people from work. The food was excellent and I thought the staff really went out of there way make sure that we were looked after. I will defiantly be coming back.

1  Thank Lewis202

Reviewed April 25, 2014

Booked a nice quiet Thursday night for a late Mothering Sunday (!) meal out with mum - obviously - and wife. Mums are not great ones for curries or chinese so I thought French would be nice and the website of Oscars looked lovely. I downloaded the menus and my wife (who worked in France for some years) was equally enthusiastic.
We arrived at 7:15pm although our booking was for 8:00pm and as expected for a Thursday night, the place was empty. We were welcomed by Pascal who with great French efficiency has us seated, equipped with menus and the complimentaries.
Right from the start I have to say the olive were gorgeous, and the bread fresh.
For starters I had the Goat's Cheese which was a little smaller than anticipated but nonetheless very concentrated and beautifully grilled and presented - it was just enough as it turned out. Mum had the liver and kidneys with mash which she said were the best.
Carolyn had the moules which she said were absolutely authentic and packed full of juicy garlic.
Mains consisted of three rump steaks cooked medium, medium rare - and mine very rare. All were cooked to a tee, juicy with a little crisp and concentrated fat on the edge, obviously well aged and cared for with not a hint of toughness or stringy bits. Lovely fries and a bundle of watercress completed the plate with a couple of tasty panned tomatoes on the side - obviously cooked in the meat juices. Bread kept coming as long as we wanted it and it was washed down with a very acceptable Grenache - rich but young.
My wife had Grand Marnier oranges with obviously home made real vanilla ice cream while I plumped for the artisan cheese board which contained a delicious blue a soft white and a very mature camembert. Mum was full! A good sign.
Coffees all round and a couple of Calvados to finish and we were done.
The ONLY thing I would want to change if I was going to be really picky, would be to ditch the very attractive crackers that came with the cheese in favour of another few bits of bread, and possibly a grape or two to cleanse the palette between cheeses. Aside from that everything was superb, from food to service to the environment and whole dining experience.
Oh, and by 8pm the place was full - downstairs at least - with four other parties, some of whom were obviously regulars. And that on a dreary Thursday night.
Clearly Oscars and Pascal in particular has it just about right - intimacy, efficiency, family restaurant atmosphere and excellent food, wine and coffee.
Thank you - we will be back!

2  Thank Martin_Anglesey
Reviewed April 18, 2014

Had steak medium rare and I was slightly dissapointed with it as it was very tough. Service however was very good.

OscarsLeamingtonSpa, Front Office Manager at Oscar's French Steakhouse & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2014

We're sorry that you were slightly disappointed with your steak but thought the service was very good. I understand that my colleague has been in touch with you and the matter has been resolved. We hope you will visit again soon to receive a better experience.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

Delicious food, beautifully presented, lovely ambience and surroundings. Worth every penny as a proper treat.

We're glad you enjoyed your meal at Oscar's and liked the new decor. Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

Visited Oscars with my wife last week. Food excellent, service friendly. Easily the best restaurant in the area

Thank you for visiting Oscar's and taking the time to submit your review. We're glad you had a good time and hope you'll visit again soon.