“Great atmosphere & great food”
Review of The Basement Restaurant - CLOSED

The Basement Restaurant
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Freshly prepared local ingredients enjoyed in a comfortable, relaxed and friendly atmosphere.Leamington's only Jazz / Blues flavoured restaurant.
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Have been several times over the years. Definately a favourite. Great meals and service. Will certainly go again soon.

2  Thank Mark G

Reviewed April 7, 2013

On arrival at 8.30pm last Friday we walked in and were the only two people booked in on a Friday night! Were shown to our table and then I went to the toilet, these were cold and smelt very damp. It was very cold last week and the whole restraurant felt cold even though the heating was on (albeit a very low heat). Starters were lovely and mains were very good. We left about 10pm and as soon as we walked up the stairs, the waitress bolted the door and turned the lights out, obviously we were keeping them up! Maybe it is better when they actually have more than two people in the restaurant, just couldn't believe we were the only two eating on a Friday night, it was hardly worth them opening.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

From what I head heard of this restaurant I was expecting great things, but what let down firstly by the atmosphere of the place, marked walls, bare wood floors, old tables which would looked like they came from an old pub and an eclectic mix of chairs.
The waitress took our drinks order and arrived with bottle of red wine and poured advising us it wouldn't be corked as it had a screw cap - glad it was palatable. We had also asked for a jug of water which she arrived with one of the glasses tucked under her arm?. The meal itself was well cooked, presentation a little basic with things like very plain dry mash (why not pep up with coarse grained mustard). We gave the sweets a miss as the choice of 2 chocolate dishes, treacle tart, Bakewell tart and lemon syllabub did not inspire. So if you want a reasonable safe meal this might be for you just keep your eyes off the décor, but believe with some imagination and a little expenditure this could be a great place so its over to you at "The Basement"

Reviewed February 21, 2013

I've been for a couple of jazz & dinner nights here. I'd expect buckets of pretentiousness in both service and food, but the food is homely and tasty and the staff are really friendly and down to earth.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

This was our second ever visit here and we were excited to come back. We came here as 2 couples and we pre booked a table. The staff said there was a party in and could we make it 30 mins later so we wouldn't have to wait, which I thought was excellent service. Very thoughtful.
The food was, as before, stunning. I had a Camembert starter which was wrapped in filo pastry, served with a side salad and pine nuts. The pastry parcel had a cranberry sauce in, fantastic.
For our main, I had a rib eye steak, ordered blue and arrived just over, more rare than blue but still lovely. It came with a mild green pepper corn sauce which was a delight. It was served with a very tasty dauphinois potato and more of the salad we had on our starter. For pudding, I had a raspberry and chocolate tarte, which was heavy but entirely my fault. A couple of bottles of house white and the bill was a smidge over £100 which I thought was fairly decent for such a nice hidden restaurant. My only problem for not giving this 5 stars was the service was just a little under what I expected however I understood that the party that was in, was a hen party and it was loud. Some of them were even standing on furniture which, why would you? Any how, there was a few issues on that front, which I won't go into as it seems a bit petty but I understand they could have been distracted, I would have been. We will definitely be back.