“Great tapas, great selection of wines, great staff”
Review of Wildes

Wildes
Ranked #42 of 260 Restaurants in Leamington Spa
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: An old-established (1976) wine bar and restaurant which remains family-owned and independent. Located in an atmospheric Regency basement, we pride ourselves on good food, good wine and good company.
warwickshire, UK
“Great tapas, great selection of wines, great staff”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I love Wildes - it is perfect in the winter as it is a little cosy den basement, the food is great, you can eat a full meal or have lovely tapas (they are quite big portions which is great for sharing). The decor is really eclectic and I have never been disappointed when I have had friends come to visit and we go there for dinner or drinks. Staff really nice as well which makes it really.

Visited February 2012

Warwick, United Kingdom
“The Little gem of leamington”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Came here to eat after a little while of not coming here and one word........WOW the food was amazing great quality and was definitely value for money. The service was fantastic and very friendly and efficient. if you want a great night out then i would defiantly recommend it as we came away very happy.

Leamington Spa
“What a difference a year makes”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

My wife and I went to Wildes with two other couples just over a year ago and enjoyed a fantastic meal with attentive waiters and waitresses, good astmosphere and great food... a real special night out venue.
But we returned in October this year with the same party for my birthday and the contrast couldn't have been more stark.
Before you read on I must stress I'm not an habitual reviewer as you can tell by the fact that it's taken several weeks to post this.
But I do feel I owe it to other people hoping for a good night out to warn them that Wildes has changed...dramatically and for the worse.
I ordered guinea fowl which was delicious....but tiny. Now at £13.95 you'd expect the little fella to come with hand cut chips and veg. Er, no.
The chips, essential to make it feel that I'd actually been for a meal, were an extra £4 for arund a dozen. The veg was a puree (or jus as I believe it's now called) which, although tasty, didn't reallyfill a hole.
I don't intend to review the food of the other five people in our party as I didn't taste it, but all said they felt short changed and disppointed by the experience.
Service, while friendly, was far too informal given the price tag and we weren't even offered coffee.
It's a nice atmosphere for a drink and retains its friendly vibe, but for a meal and at the price I won't be heading back until the portions get bigger and come with chips!
I sense that the management have clearly made a decision to push the drinks side of things and treat special night out diners as a cash cow.... if that's the case they are making a big mistake in a fairly small town like Leamington.
What a shame that it's going wine bar at the expense of what used to be an excellent place to eat.

• Visited October 2012
4 Thank Jim L
Birmingham, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A haven in a sea of mediocrity”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Thank god for Wilde's!! As the spectre of the "chain" restaurant and all the mediocrity that entails, looms ever large over every town centre, it's wonderful to be able to retreat to the sanctuary of a proper wine bar......one in this case, that's reminiscent of the great basement bars of London......and indeed Lyon!
We've been coming here on and off for years, and have always loved it's friendly atmosphere, romantic vibe, and somewhat eclectic decor. On this our first visit for a while, we found that there had been a change of head chef.....at first, a slight cause for alarm. We had nothing to worry about as it turns out that we had the best meal we've had at Wilde's in ten years!
The menu is a lot more varied than the French bistro classics of old.....I was in fact spoiled for choice as many of my favourite things are now on the menu, we had to ask for more time as I just couldn't decide. The menu is now more modern, with a few "braver" things on the menu. Reflecting the season more than in the past.
As usual it was no hassle getting more time, the always charming young staff were happy to leave us to choose in our own time. So settling in with a glass of Champagne we perused the menu.
I went for smoked eel with horseradish cream, and the better half chose duck rillettes. Both were delicious, the horseradish perfectly complimenting the smoked fish, and the duck rillettes having a rich duck flavour, spiked with garlic.....as good as any we've had in France.....I might even suffered a little menu envy at this point.
For mains I had rabbit 3 ways and madam had guinea fowl.. Again, both were delicious...and not things you see every day on menu's.
I notice on here that a recent reviewer criticised the wine list! I find this amazing, as I think it's seriously good....well written with much more interesting information about the growers or grape varieties than you normally ever get....in fact I got told off for spending too much time reading the list, rather than paying attention to my dinner companion. We started with a bottle of Picpoul, a wine we can normally only find in France, then moved on to a bottle of truly excellent Petit Syrah from California, that was recommended to us by the young man (the manager, I think) who was sure it would be a good match for our mains. In fact he went on to tell us that he'd recently been studying for a qualification in wine......well his studies payed off for us as the wine went brilliantly with both the rabbit and guinea fowl.
Dessert was pear and almond tart for madam and cheese for me......particularly good as the cheese was served at the correct temperature with a delicious fig chutney.
Then it was coffee, a bit more chat with the staff, and off into the night for us.
A seriously good meal.....and whilst I've always enjoyed the food here, the current head chef has certainly instituted a step change in quality.

I'm always reminded of the theme tune to "cheers" when I think of Wilde's......the bit about it being a bar where everyone knows your name. Well maybe not quite, but one of it's best features is the warm welcome from the staff. They really seem pleased to see you and serve you. Add in great wine, and superb food...and for a few hrs you're away from the cares of the world....and the mediocrity of most restaurants in Leamington.
I would normally say, don't change a thing.......but in this case it looks like change has only been for the better....now when can we come back

Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Simply awful”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Arrived 7.30 and asked for a table for two. Admittedly hadn't booked but approx one third of tables were unreserved and empty. Told we could not eat until 8.30 but we decided to have a drink while waiting.

The place slowly filled up but still tables remained empty. After waiting until 8.30 with no sign of any order being taken we asked again. Eventually at 8.45 we were shown to one of the tables that had been empty all evening !!!!

Ordering was another 15 minutes when we were told the lamb and the fillet staek were no longer options. As the steaks were all everyone else seemed to be ordering this was perhaps unsurprising but hardly good.

In the end we started with duck rillette (dry) and scallop and crab moose (completely tasteless). Next came guinea fowl which was ok but was accompanied by a smear of green liquid and a smear of white liquid on the plate. The menu said wilted spinach. It seemd to have disinetgrated rather than wilted ! The other dish was trout (tasteless) on mashed up potato (uninspiring).

Then cheese and biscuits (acceptable).

In essence the food is bland beyond belief. Perhaps everyone else ordering steak had eaten there before !

If this place is supposed to have won awards then we presume the chef may have died or left. If not then the reviewer must have just had steak !

Would heartily recommend this place is given a miss

6 Thank LiketheBest20