“lovely place ruined by the staff”
Review of Rhubarb - CLOSED

Rhubarb
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
fieldsofgold1
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“lovely place ruined by the staff”
Reviewed May 21, 2010

As a Leamington resident I used to visit Rhubarb a lot as it has a lovely atmosphere and nice (although overpriced) food. After too many unpleasant encounters with the rude and arrogant staff I will no longer be going back there. Until this changes I would strongly recommend avoiding. Customers are treated as if they are a nuisance and I have personally witnessed the manager shouting at customers!

1 Thank fieldsofgold1

Leamington Spa
“Expected so much, were really disappointed”
Reviewed January 19, 2010

My son and I arrived on a snowy lunchtime 2 weeks ago. We were made to feel not very welcome and service was negligible throughout our meal. The one chap who seemed to be on duty was more interested in writing on his blackboard than speaking to us. We had to ask at the bar for more drinks, our order came without the bread we had ordered (I wondered whether our order for bread was ignored, as I noticed they arrived with bags of Tesco bread half-way through our main course). It was freezing in the restaurant, my son kept his coat on for his meal, I wanted to but would have felt conspicious! All the other shops we visited that day were warm. Wanted this to be a special occasion, but sadly will not return, too many reviews of poor experiences, mainly related to service.

UK
“Living off a PAST reputation”
Reviewed October 2, 2009

We are Leamginton residents and have been going to Rhurbard in its various guises over many years. Always expensive with aloof staff but the surroundings and quality of the food, especially the steaks, made up for their overly commerical approach; until last week that is. Last week, the attitude of the serving staff boarded on the arrogant and the food was cheap pub grub at its worst. The bowl of veg was plonked down on the table and was swimming with butter. The fillet steak is still £21 but now only 6oz and was hidden under a pile of flacid chips and the bream was soaking in oil. The front of house staff did their best to recover the situation and were gracious in defeat but we will NOT be going back until we hear positive reviews. The wine was excellent tho' but I guess they can't ruin what is in a sealed bottle !

Manc
“Recommended for years - now avoided in the future (June 2009)”
Reviewed July 7, 2009

When my wife and I arrived in Leamington we went about discovering new restaurants. We heard good things about Rhubarb and loved the look of the place. The two of us went on our annivesary and had an amazing night in August 2008. Brilliant staff and gorgeous food. This trend continued to impress on subsequent visits over the years taking family who all stated it was one of the best places they had ever eaten. How things have changed. We visited on June 20th 2009 to celebrate my wife's graduation with the in-laws who demanded we went to that particular place becasue they loved it. Firstly the table was only set for 3 instead of 4 people and they front of staff questioned the booking - made months before. The plate and cutlery they bought were filthy. At 7.30am on a sat night they had ran out of 3/6 starters. The starters that arrived looked made hours before. I ordered medium rare steak. It was cremated and the home made chips were a pile of messy oven chips. We were served by 4 different waiters whilst the chef ran around drinking beer and obviously clock watching to close the kitchen to get out with his mates who were waiting in the bar. The venue still has a lovely feel...for coffee only...replace the chef and rescue this once lovely establishment.

Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
“Eclectic decor and great food - we were happy...”
Reviewed July 6, 2009

During our first ever trip to Leamington Spa we stumbled upon htis little cafe and it was a real treat during an otherwise stressful day. The interior decor was quirky, the staff were attentive and the food was good - what more could you want? The menu was wide ranging and the food nicely presented. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend.