“Wonderful Experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Restaurant 23

Restaurant 23
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Restaurant 23 has been a fixture in Royal Leamington Spa since opening in 2006, moving to our current Grade II-listed home in 2012. Throughout this time we have forged an impressive culinary reputation, showcasing the finest local and seasonal produce with precise, modern cooking. We hold 2 AA Rosettes and regularly feature in The Good Food Guide. In addition to the main restaurant and its two private rooms which seat up to 60 - Morgan's Bar offers afternoon teas, refined bar food and cocktails with seating for 30.
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

I went to Restaurant 130 with a group of colleagues for a Christmas get together and I wasn't disappointed. We had pre-dinner drinks in the very cosy bar upstairs, and although it wasn't on the menu I asked for a Singapore Sling which arrived promtly and was very good. My only moan would be that I had difficulty reading the drinks menu as the lights were a little dim.
We were then shown to our own private dining room which I had noticed on the way in and thought delightful. The prices here are not cheap however for a special occasion I think that the food was delicious, the staff very attentive and all in all it was a wonderful experience.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank artistwong

Rugby
“Fine dining taster menu, mighty, fine experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Superb venue and decoration is exquisite . Great attention to deal on all fittings throughout the Restuarant and bar.
On arrival the small dining room (on left) was the only one on offer for our pre booked lunchtime tasting menu. No bother, but it was VERY cold, but the heating was quickly ramped up and soon it was cosy. The smallest private dining room looked very intimate and lovely setting for dining for 6-8 people.
Chef made us a 7 course delight, not overly full afterwards and some inspired menu connections were presented with flare and much care. Tasted define and I would thoroughly recommend a visit.....although the toilets are FREEZING !!

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Warwickshire
“Restaurant 23”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Had lunch at Restaurant 23 today 25 Feb. we eat off the set menu it was lovely. The service was very good and the food very nice. 2 courses £16.50 worth every penny. I would recommend this restaurant

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Katrina S
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“Nice food, arrogant service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

Good food & nice decor, but it's rare to find a provincial restaurant that adopts such arrogance when dealing with its customers.

Pkchef, Owner at Restaurant 23, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear Sir,
Thank you for your review, I'm glad that you enjoyed the food and decor.

I wonder if you could elaborate on your comment regarding the service, I am very grateful for any feedback but it is very hard to understand why you feel as the service is arrogant, I believe the team offer a very friendly service and work very hard to achieve that.

If you would like to get in touch with us I would be very happy to hear any feedback you have.
Regards
Peter Knibb
Leamington Spa, England, United Kingdom
“Overrated”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

The sample menu online shows some really interesting ideas - we agreed to visit this place as a special treat, but when we visited the menu choices were much closer to gastropub - two of the 7 or so options were essentially 'steak and chips'. There was a tasting menu, with a note saying 'you may need to order in advance' - we asked for this and then had an incredibly awkward conversation about how we needed to book in advance - contrary to the instructions on the menu! We then had an awkward pause in our conversation whilst the conversation was rehashed at the bar we were a metre away from. Awkward. Not how I expect to be made to feel in a high-end establishment. The food was pretty good in the end, the wine waiter was superb, but the clunky service attitude really jars considering the bill.

Visited January 2013
Pkchef, Owner at Restaurant 23, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear Sir,

My apologies if the situation was not handle the in the best way regarding the tasting menu, we choose to put the "pre booking advised" on the tasting menu because of the pressure it puts on the kitchen to deliver the high standard of food, we try to manage the menu if we already have a lot of tasting menu on.

Yes we offer fillet steak and triple cooked chips on the menu and also bavette steak on the lunch menu, but this is only one of six choices on the a la carte menu and one of four choices on the lunch menu. I personally do not find a problem with this as the other dishes offer enough choice. We work very hard to keep the other items on the menu interesting and to a very high standard.

I am glad that you enjoyed the food and the wine service in the end.

I hope that you will come again,

Regards