“Misleading website and poor customer service”

Avenue Lodge Guest House
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Leamington Spa
Avenue Lodge Guest House
Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Leamington Spa
UK
“Misleading website and poor customer service”
Reviewed May 24, 2011

I booked in last minute for a Saturday night at the Avenue Lodge Guest House. On arrival, I was told that the owner now owns both the Avenue Lodge Guest House and the Trendway Guest House down the road (hence I have posted the review on the tripadvisor pages of both of these guest houses). A quick walk down the road took me to my room in the Trendway Guest House. I'd booked a single, but had a triple to myself, which was a bonus. It was fairly clean, but the bathroom was cramped and smelt very funny and the room decor was dated. The TV was old with just analogue channels and there was no free wi-fi at Trendway as advertised on the Avenue Lodge website.

On arrival I was told that breakfast was servied from 7.30-9.30am, but the following morning the breakfast room was dead at 9.05am. A phone call to the owner (who lives in another separate building down the road - hence, no-one is ever about) was followed by an argument stating that breakfast is served 7.30-8.30am only and that I must have got it wrong; I can't see any reason why I would have got this fact wrong (whether Trendway and Avenue Lodge have different or adjacent breakfast time slots and I was given the wrong information I do not know), but nonetheless serving breakfast for one hour only at 7.30-8.30am on a Sunday is ridiculous! I was offerred no breakfast and left unhappy.

There was also no off road parking as advertised on the website, and the on-road parking is restricted between 8am and 8pm to 2 hours with no return within 4 hours; hence, if you arrive before 6pm, you may have problems.

£38 for a single for one night is not cheap either. Overall, a massive disappointment and a misleading website. Not recommended and plenty of better places about in Leamington Spa - avoid!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
10 Thank Chris H

Couples
Business
Redditch
Reviewed August 25, 2007

Stayed at no.61 Avenue Lodge for one night on 25th August 2007.
Arrived at 1pm. Greeted by landlady and showed to our room. Our room was large with an ensuite bathroom added at some stage to the corner of the room. It was clean and bright but could have been improved on by: 1) putting 2 hooks on the bathroom door instead of 1 seeing as it was a twin room, 2) locating the kettle within reach of a plug socket (as it was had to move kettle across room to plug in), 3) locating a mirror near a plug socket inorder to be able to dry/ straighten hair (as it was we moved the mirror from over the fireplace to a more convenient position) 4) a shelf in the bathroom to put toiletries. 5) fixing the shower nozzle so it didn't get sliding to the bottom of the pole (husband is 6' 2" so can't stoop too low) 6) raising the TV from is current position of barely off the floor level. 7) advising upon booking that breakfast is between 6 - 8am even on a Sunday morning! and its not at the location itself but several properties along the road at their sister B&B at no.45.
I probably wouldn't stay again as there are many properties for a short stay in this stretch of road within walking distance of Leamington centre and at £50 prpn including breakfast it wasn't a bargain so I would be inclined to try somewhere else next time. Both the proprieters were very nice and helpful and no real complaints. Just little niggles really

2 Thank simone10