“Lovely rooms and staff, cheap but VERY noisy. Perfect for young people, stags/hens etc.”
Review of Thomas James Hotel

Thomas James Hotel
Ranked #14 of 16 Hotels in Leamington Spa
Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here after been booked this hotel by our client as we are currently on a roadshow. We were absolutely DREADING coming here after reading tge reviews...however, we were impressed when arriving.

The rooms are modern and must be recently decorated. Warm, clean, tea and coffee etc. Everything you need for a night away. The staff were also helpful. We had breakfast which was continental, downstairs in a nice small restaurant. Although continental we believe it was still good value.

The only downside was the noise and unfortunately it was very loud! I had earplugs so managed to sleep ok, although my room was backfacing and I think I had the noisy smoking area on my side :(. It also was bass pumping dance music...which I hate haha....which didnt help. My colleagues were not so lucky as they didnt have earplugs and slept quite badly.

In summary, its a nice cheap hotel with everything you need. For a night out it is perfect however if not you will mostly likely have a disrupted sleep....

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Blissackerman1304
There are newer reviews for Thomas James Hotel

Reviewed December 8, 2012

Room was OK, but a few annoying bits missing, lights not working properly, no TV remote, shower door difficult. A bit noisy but not too bad on the top floor. Comfortable bed and well laid out room. Good location.

Room Tip: Get a top floor room to avoid noise.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GerryWiley
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I needed a last minute cheap hotel for an evening out and this one was very cheap at £35 for the night. I was aware of it's reputation having stayed in the room above the bar/club and been kept awake until the early hours, so I requested a room on the top floor. The room was clean and tidy and didnt appear to suffer from the noise of the bar. Unfortunately a very drunk guest arriving back at 5am without his key decided to knock the hotel down until he gained access. I also spent the night smelling cigarette smoke and on my leaving the hotel saw a glass on a windowsill at the "closed" reception full of cigarette ends. It wasnt a 5 star stay but then for £35 I guess I got what I paid for. I would recommend you dont book this hotel unless you have a pack of earplugs in your luggage.

Room Tip: Ask for one at the top unless you are profoundly deaf or incredibly drunk.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I did research this place before booking it, so I was aware of its bad reputation concerning the sound from the pub downstairs, however as I was booking accommodation at the last minute, it was pretty much my only option at the time.

On the plus side, it's easy to get to (just a few minute's walk from the station) and the guy at the front desk was friendly enough, although it's notable that he made no mention whatsoever of the fact that I should expect any noise (I stayed there on a Friday night). The room was spartan but what I'd expect for the price range.

My room was on the first floor, directly above the pub downstairs (room 10 I think it was). After returning to the hotel from an evening out around 11PM, I was, sure enough, greeted by noise through the floor - and let's just be clear here: this isn't just pub noise like clattering and chatter, the place downstairs becomes a CLUB with a cacophony of ghastly thumping dance music which rattled the room until after 2am. Of course, the reception area was closed (honestly, I've never ever stayed in any other hotel that closes its reception in the evening - I guess it's to prevent people from complaining). This is obviously absolutely unacceptable for a hotel as it's impossible to sleep in such conditions.

Avoid like the plague.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Bokaroo
Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

stayed here for one night and i must say a lovely stay.when we checked in the staff was very helpful and friendly, the room was clean and comfy with all you needed including a hair dryer and buscuits for the tea . the breakfast was basic but very nice with all you needed including a mini fridge for cold food(great idea).only fault was the eggs,as i didnt read the notice about boiling your own egg,i ended up with raw egg over me woops(my fault) also got a bit lost finding the basement were breakfast was ,so maybe a little notice up saying you have to go through the bar. otherwise great stay and will use again.thank you

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 21, 2012

The shower/toilet light did not work, the fitting was hanging from the ceiling!
Breakfast was do it yourself, unstaffed, unsigned experience, when you found it!
Noise was not a problem, I was 3 flights up
Don't go.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 12, 2012

After reading the reviews after we booked this we were very worried. however it proved to be great value - rooms adequate and with nice big tv and clean, with power shower!

great for £35 a night! Breakfast only continental but done the trick. Ideal for business, lads weekend away or if you are on a budget. Nice bar downstairs and food was good herealso

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business