“Got better as the week progressed”
Review of Angel Hotel

and 1 more site!
Angel Hotel
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Leamington Spa
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
“Got better as the week progressed”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Stayed at the Angel Hotel for 3 days while attending a nearby training course . No parking when I arrived but the receptionist gave her parking space up to accommodate my vehicle . The first night was quite noisy as the Sizzling Sausage pub opposite was going strong til after midnight .The landing outside my room groaned and creaked whenever anyone walked past and I was woken before 6 by the binmen . Avoid Room 4 ! I requested a room change at reception the next morning and got a room overlooking the car park which was ideal . The hotel is a typical English 3-4 star but had a certain charm .Service was excellent throughout and after the initial night I slept really well . Particular thanks to the girls on reception .There are a number of excellent restaurants nearby the pick of which was La Coppola . I would certainly stay here again .

Room Tip: Dont have Room 4 ask for one overlooking the car park
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank McPoolie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Liverpool
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I was part of a large party staying at the Angel for a weekend event in nearby Stratford. Upon arrival the reception staff couldnt have been more helpful and even provided us with a map, so that we could find our way around Leamington. The hotel is situated at the end of one of the main roads in Leamington Town Centre, so everything within the town centre is easily walkable from the hotel. What impressed me most about the Angel, was that although its a fairly large hotel it felt family run. The bar and dining area didnt have that "corporate " feel that you get from some big hotels. The hotel has not lost any of its Victorian character downstairs, although it has been tastefully modernised. The staff were extremely friendly without being patronising. I didnt eat at the hotel other than to have breakfast, which was fantastic. My only tiny moan would be that the bedroom I was in was quite small, although nice. However we did get a discount for booking in as a large party, so theres no real complaint there. I would definately go back to not only the hotel, but also the Leamington Spa, which is lovely place - although the night life is a bit dull !. .

Room Tip: avoid rooms at the side of the hotel, as there is a "dulux " centre that opens up to trade...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank COYBL25
Chepstow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I've stayed here many times over a number of years on business. The Angel is very comfortable, well located, and the staff are friendly and welcoming. The food is lovely too! I like the fact that the bar is open to the public because there's usually someone to have a conversation with.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank PaulandCarol2011
Hamilton
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I enjoyed my stay at this hotel. Our room was on the ground floor and was on the road front. We did not find the noise from the road an issue. The beds were comfortable and we had a good night's sleep. The decor was a little tired but the room was clean and tidy. The toiletries provided were very good and a lot better than similar products I have come across in other hotels. The breakfast was superb - there was lots of choice. The breakfast room was comfortable and nicely furnished. The staff were pleasant and helpful and we used the wi-fi in the lobby area. We had a carpark right outside where our room was located. It is located very close to the town area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jewlzcee
Cowbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We stayed at The Angel as part of a group of wedding guests attending a wedding nearby. We found The Angel to be comfortable (like an old coaching inn) and well situated for Leamington's shops, restaurants and the lovely Jephson Gardens.

We had a fish and chip supper on the Friday night that we all enjoyed and found the light and airy, air-conditioned breakfast room to be very pleasant for a full English in the mornings with plenty of choice on the menu. Our 'executive' room 21 on the first floor was spacious, comfortable, clean with complimentary bottles of still and sparkling water and a big bowl of fruit on the table. My only niggles would be the poorly painted-over crack down the wall and some attention needed behind the bath taps - other than that we had no complaints and slept well enough. The rest of our family were in single rooms on the top floor with skylight windows.

Contrary to a review below we found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. We were also lucky that we managed to park in the hotel car park behind (approached through an arch at the front). We would stay again if we should ever return to Leamington Spa, but would check out the new Premier Inn under construction in the town centre and see how it compares price-wise.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper ask for a room over the car park/courtyard rather than streetside.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Cowbridgelady1
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 1, 2012

I was interested to read Richard C's review from Sydney as we both stayed at this hotel at the same time. My experience was somewhat different. Breakfast (which was included in the B&B cost) was quite large and extremely adequate. The service was good and whilst I saw the offering matron, the lady I spoke to was very charming and chatty. My room was by the Carriageway entrance (room 18) which was very nice and well appointed, if not a little noisy at rush hour. It is after all an AA 3 Star establishment and is very much in the old way of things in England. I found it very comfortable, quite friendly and extremely convenient for the High Street and its myriad of Pubs and shops. Wifi is on offer in the lounge which extends to a pleasant back patio where emails can still be read.
The weekend rate is a little more than I would normally have paid but for location and convenience and a degree of comfort I could not go past it.

Thanks to the guy who directed me to the Hollybush.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the rooms at ground level backing onto the street (18 & 19 I believe)
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank CliffyTours
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 30, 2012

The hotel was clean and well maintained and popular with the English people who stayed there, it was however, a rather stuffy, old style English hotel. The decor was as tired as the matress on the bed. After a nights sleep you certainly knew where every spring was. The staff were rather rude and unhelpful, especially at breakfast where matron corrected the guests with relish. So, OK if you need a hotel in the centre of Leamington but you would not stay there for any other reason.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends