“Good food. Nice + busy venue, quick service but a little noisey.”
Review of Star & Garter

Star & Garter
Reserve with OpenTable
Star & Garter is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 267 Restaurants in Leamington Spa
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Star & Garter is just a few moments away from the shopping heart of Leamington Spa, and only a short distance from the beautiful town of Warwick. Our fantastic pub is a relaxed environment where you can eat, drink and relax wherever you want. Our kitchen creates top quality fresh food all day from Brunch to Dinner, with locally sourced ingredients. We can also help you host your party in our Private Dining room with French windows leading onto a private terrace.
Reviewed January 12, 2014

We came here on the recommendation of a friend who lives nearby. We had friends visiting from London. I arrived later so missed the meat platter they all had but it looked delicious. So straight to mains that arrived promptly. We had around 1 alcoholic drink each and coffees and a couple of puddings. My main was the special sea bream with a piazzola sauce and peashoot salad. I should have ordered so carbs with it too but by the time I got through it I was done. My friend ordered a rump steak - medium rare and found it slightly rarer than a medium rare. Other dishes were the special duck which was commented upon as delicious and a generous sausage and mash. Really pleasant service. Only downside was that it really was quite noisey not because people were raucous maybe just the building. Anyway really recommend the food. In total our bill would have been about 140. So between 5 that's ok as decent food think my bream was about £18.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

I rued the day that the old, sticky carpet, darts board and pool table, Star and Garter was no more, but I know the world moves on and anything is better than turning one of my locals into a mini-Tesco's.

But my two experiences of the new shiny pseudo-Shaker S and G have not been good. The prices have doubled, but the service has declined, and the food is average to say the least.

Most recently I was a participant there at a business breakfast. Coffee ran out several times before the breakfast; there was no choice offered, no fruit or fruit juice, no toast other than the already-buttered white sliced under my cold scrambled egg, no butter on the tables, no marmalade, and no offers of tea or coffee with the breakfast itself, just iced tap water. Fortunately our table was close enough to the service hatch to request and get coffee with our breakfast, but others were less fortunate.
All in all, the Star and Garter didn't cope with the numbers and presented a thoroughly uninspiring persona to a group of people who could be very good for its business.
I'll be sticking to my other local from now on.

2  Thank ConsultantNomad
Peach_Pubs, on behalf of the manager at Star & Garter, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave this feedback, which we appreciate, and I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations.
As I was present for the event I would have been more than happy to discuss your feelings at the time but I appreciate it was a breakfast gathering and you may have needed to get to your place of work.
We pride ourselves in both the quality of service & produce and that is why the morning, arranged at short notice with the Leamington Business Forum, was intended as a way for us at the Star, and the attendees, to promote & work with other local businesses in Leamington to create business opportunities.
As such I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you further – we are looking to build a relationship with the Leamington Business Forum & would appreciate more detail on your thoughts as to how the event could run more smoothly in the future and what the expectations are from the attendees at such an event. Im always in the pub so next time your going past please pop your head in and let me buy you a drink.

Regards
Mark—General Manager

Reviewed January 10, 2014

Met up with some colleagues for a mid morning catch-up and a quick snack at the Star and Garter in Leamington and found the venue so relaxing and easy that we stayed for hours and even managed to get a huge pile of work done - especially thanks to the free wifi!

Our excuse was that the local traffic was a nightmare and it was far more productive to stay put!

Having a quick look through their other menus I see myself coming back often to give all the choices a try, only next time I might just make it a family affair and leave work at home.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

The Star is 1of the top 5 in Leamington Spa. I visit the star most weeks for a coffee & free toast. As I am a regular I feel at home & the staff make it like that. I do eat occasionally again food is tasteful & presentation good. If u haven't visited yet then put the star on your places to try.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

I regularly go to the Star and Garter and have never had a bad meal, the atmosphere is great and staff always fab!
You cant beat it!