“So so” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Star & Garter

Star & Garter
Reserve with OpenTable
Star & Garter is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 255 Restaurants in Leamington Spa
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Bar scene, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Royal Leamington Spa, England, United Kingdom
“So so”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

Trying to be too clever. Portion sizes are small and the food not so great. I had steak which had no flavour, my fiancée had fish which was a really small fish. To be honest you would be better off going down the road to the cricketers which serves much nicer food and has decent portion sizes... Won't be going back.

Visited April 2013

• Korean first
Warwick, United Kingdom
“Terrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

I went for Sunday breakfast with a friend and will not be going back! When arriving we was greeted and seated and handed the breakfast menu, the menu had a few choices but not many, it said free range full breakfast - it does not explain what is included in the breakfast so I asked the gentleman and in a very enthusiastic speech he explained what you get, which sounded lovely and for £9 we were expecting our plate to be full.......that was not the case we had two fatty pieces of bacon a small sausage two mushrooms one breakfast with tomatoes the other without (maybe they didn't have enough for both?) beans and scrambled egg that looked like sick! On the menu it says help yourself to toast at the the bar I couldn't find any toast and every time I tried to catch one if the girls attention to ask for toast they rushed off somewhere else so I just gave up in the end!! Not impressed at all for the price!

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Lisa2011D
Peach_Pubs, on behalf of the manager at Star & Garter, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thanks for taking the trouble to leave us your feedback.
As you may have seen from the majority of the other reviews this is not a regular occurrence, however this is no excuse. We pride ourselves on serving the good stuff and sourcing the very best of ingredients. On this occasion we have not done ourselves or you justice.
In regards to the toast on the bar, we feel this is a nice added homely touch for our guests breakfast experience. We aim to keep this full & replenished even at the busier times,
I would love to invite you back personal guest of mine, to restore your faith in us for such an important part of the day.
With this in mind we run monthly Jazz & Breakfast Club every 1st Sunday of the month. It would be fantastic if you would join us for what has turned into out Sunday Morning Social.
If you wish to come please contact me directly on 01926359960.

Looking forward to hearing from you, thanks again for the valuable feedback.

Regards
Mark
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Outstanding error”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

Now I run an pub myself just outside leamington and am familiar with peach pubs and they have great venues.
I came to the star and garter with a friend for an early supper and we were the only 2 in the restaurant area for about 1 hour.
Service was lovely by 1 efficient girl but she made 1 fatal error that I was gob-smacked with. Didn't complain and still tipped her, but seriously there was a clear.... Wouldn't say training issue but logical common sense standard one would expect.
My friend ordered a steak and I ordered a fish plate to myself with a side of new potatoes.
Everything was pleasant enough and the food was timely, (we were the only people in there) and when our waitress brought the meals she carried the steak plate and fish platter on one arm and the potato side in her other hand. She put our potatoes on the table, gave my friend his steak and my wooden platter fish plate balanced on her arm rocked.
As she tried to put my platter down one of my two fish cakes rolled off and landed on my friends lap and half of my calamari bowl fell on the floor.
Natural reaction is to replace and accidents happen I know but she said "excuse me" and picked up the fish cake from my friends lap and put it back on the fish plate in front of me and said "it was only on your friends lap for a second"
She then scooped up the calamari from the floor and walked off and tossed it in the bin.
My friend who is very elderly and didn't mind/notice but I couldn't help but think get me another fish cake and a part of my meal you have just thrown in the bin.
I was so shocked but said nothing because I don't complain, just don't go back.
As I say the waitress was lovely and we still tipped her, but to not know how to practice hygiene and correct a situation like that was gobsmacking.
I'm sure anyone not in the industry would have gone mental and complained immediately, but people will ask me for a good place to eat when we are frequently fully booked and I will not recommend here because people would not have been as lenient as I was.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Luke M
Firstly, thank you for taking the time to leave us your valuable feedback.
On this occasion I can honestly agree with your standing on the situation that has occurred.
We are very proud of our team here, along all the other parts of our pub.
Your are quite right that accidents happen, however I personally believe it is how they are dealt with that can change an experience in a heart beat.
Personally, along with my other managers, we install this message into the team, making sure we know of every part of a guests experience either in a positive or negative way.
This message has not reached me personally, and I can only apologise that this accident was not dealt with in the correct manner.
Please take this response as a corrective step to making sure such an error is not dealt with like this again. I appreciate that this has no affect on your previous visit, I would love the opportunity to meet you if you were to pop in and discuss this further if needed.

We are very proud of what we serve here & more importantly the team we have to make this happen. I hope you will understand that this is a one off error.

Once again thanks for your feedback, please contact myself directly at the pub and I'd love to buy you a pint next time you are in.

Thanks again
Mark
“Decent atmosphere, food not great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

Enjoyable evening and good atmosphere but unfortunately the food wasn't great. Was a shame really as I like the pub and enjoy a drink here, and the service was excellent.
Possibly need to look at the menu, and just ensuring the food is warm when bringing out.
Would return for drinks as enjoy the pub.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“How to ruin a good pub in 1 easy step”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

The Star and Garter used to be a great pub - a proper pub - in Leamington. Good fun in the evening but not pretending to be anything it wasn't. It was a bit grubby, almost rough and great for a fun night out with friends.

Then it went under new management and was turned into a horrible "gastro pub" (do people even use that term any more?) It's become overly family friendly with kids running around the place, too many low sofas, not enough pub seating and tables. As far as I can see it's gone from being a good pub with no pretentions to an over-priced gastro pub/restaurant that wants to attract kids rather than young adults who want to have a good night out with friends. Shame - it was one of the few decent pubs left in Leamington.

• Visited October 2012
3 Thank skibunny_1979
Peach_Pubs, on behalf of the manager at Star & Garter, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Hi skibunny_1979

Thanks for your recent visit to us at The Star & Garter.
I’m sorry your visit to us was a negative one. We certainly aim to ensure all have a great time when visiting us. We our all foodies here and love serving the good stuff. We like to welcome everyone onto our pub and hope that you decide to pop in again soon and I'll buy you a pint!

Thank Mark.