“Wow!”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Considering this pub was a run down shack when the new owners took over they have made great strides in improving both the food and the decor. I feel it is very harsh to judge a pub by its material fixtures and fittings when the food is of such quality. I'm sure as the months go by anyone visiting will see a difference( from small Acorns ) but for the meantime be grateful that the new owners are concentrating on the quality of the food not the fixtures . I for one cannot fault it .

4  Thank Zita L

Reviewed May 10, 2013

On arrival we were greeted on kindly and the service throughout was brilliant, the staff were very polite and friendly which gave the whole place an inviting, relaxed atmosphere. I had a curry which was beautiful, even better then an Indian resteraunt, definatly a recommendation. The decoration was welcoming and well kept, so overall a great place to go with family or friends for a relaxing meal with great food.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Popped in this evening for a bit to eat. Place was virtually empty which is never a good sign but we sat down anyway. Decor is terrible....seriously needs updating. So much could be done with this pub with a little bit of time, effort and investment.

Service was fine. Nothing to write home about but certainly not poor.

Menu was dated, didn't seem to flow and nothing that immediately grabbed me.

The only other table in the pub were complaining that their lamb tagine was dry so decided not to opt for that as when they asked for more sauce they were told there wasnt any.

Sweet chilli chicken and an all day breakfast was what opted for.

Lengthy delay before food came out considering the amount of people in the place.

Both dishes were really greasy and tasted like they came straight out the fryer. Poorly presented on the plate.

We left the majority, paid and left.

To top it all off, both my partner and I had upset stomachs on return home.

Wont be returning.

windmillinn2, Owner at The Windmill Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

We are very sorry to hear you were disappointed when you visited us on 8 May.
We have taken on board your comments as we very much welcome constructive
criticism.
Since we took over last August we have hit the ground running and we are trying hard to get the pub how we would like it but it is very much a work in progress and something we are doing solely.
All your comments regarding the food and presentation have been passed on to the chef and the staff.

Thankyou
michelle Ramsay

Reviewed May 7, 2013

What a difference a few months can make. I visited The Windmill Inn, Tachbrook Road, Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, England in August 2012 and was delighted with the menu choices, prices, service and quality of food.

I had tried to take family there in November but couldn't get a table so we went elsewhere.

Determined to repeat the August experience with my family I tried again in April. I encountered no problems turning up on speculation as the restaurant was near empty.

The August menu choice was much better as some of the signature dishes were missing. Menus do and should change seasonally and so this did not concern us.

The service was polite and friendly but rather slow given the number of diners. The waiting staff were helpful as was the kitchen with one or two requested changes in our choice.

When the meal came the alarm bells rang immediately. The food did not have the look of care noted in my August 2012 visit and although there was nothing wrong with it per se, it just wasn't perfect enough for the price tag. It lacked quality. I can say that I was disappointed overall. Something has changed and I think it is the absence of the new managements' chef.

It is more expensive than the sizzling "Tiller Pin" pub on Europa way offering equally as good food and better menu choice currently than does the "The Windmill Inn". The only thing letting the "Tiller Pin" down is the less than welcoming staff.

I am disappointed to write such a review after such a promising start.

Can it be that the chef has been headhunted by "The Hungry Horse" due to open on 6th May 2013? Their Coventry pub has a good reputation and I'm sure it will be very stiff competition for "The Windmill Inn" and within walking distance too.

However, I can say the staff at "The Windmill Inn" are very helpful and welcoming and unfortunately,reticent. The staff in August had intuitive good timing something that comes naturally to few.

I do think the nearly new management of "The Windmill Inn" are up to the challenge and can compete with the commercially supported, brewery owned, "Hungry Horse" and "Tiller Pin". Just get the right chef and menu. Or, bring the price down a little to fill the tables and improve the cold non-atmospheric décor.

The "Plough and Harrow" has a better atmosphere and décor and is comparable on food quality and price.

1  Thank UKMedic
windmillinn2, Owner at The Windmill Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2013

We are very Sorry to hear you were very disappointed when you visited us in April especially as you were so positive about your previous visit.
We have taken on board your comments as we very much welcome constructive criticism.
All your comments will be discussed with the managment and the staff but please be assured our chef is still very much employed here.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

After seeing how well this pub was rated, we went for an early evening meal. Although it was fairly empty and quiet the waitress was jolly and we were served pretty quickly. The decor was somewhat of a disappointment though and the room was the size of a pubs' family' room, which you frequent whilst on holiday with the kids. Not warm, cosy and welcoming as we'd expected.
The menu wasn't particularly exciting but when the food arrived it was well cooked and we had no complaints. All in all a fairly positive meal both in quality and quantity and relatively good value.