“Excellent customer service!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Carlisle, United Kingdom
“Excellent customer service!”
Reviewed April 11, 2012

I stayed for one night, and overall the hotel was good. The best features of this hotel was the food, and the excellent staff. The restaurant had recently been refurbished so everything was new and clean and excellently presented. The colours and styling of the chairs etc: really complented each other very well. The food was excellent, and despite my steak not being cooked enough and having to send it back, and a bit of a wait in general, it was faultless. The dinner was a waited service, with breakfast being a self service buffet. My scrambled eggs were cold, and my partner couldn't wait any longer for his fried egg to be cooked, so went without, however, very nice food indeed! It was a little disappointing to find that the bar and spa did not open until 5pm (we arrived at 3pm), this is obviously catering for business delegates, this needs adapting to cater for none business guests also.Decor in bedroom was dated, and very basic. Good hotel for business travellers! Spa facilities were very good, even better would be a swimming pool!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BunnyD11
John T, General Manager at Woodland Grange, responded to this review, April 17, 2012
Thank you very much for your very positive comments. I am pleased you enjoyed the new restaurant design and will pass your comments on to the rest of the team. We are looking at further improvement projects across the site, and hope you return in the future to see how these have progressed. In response to your suggestion regarding the Spa area, we will review our opening times and look to adjust these for those who wish to make use of the environment earlier in the day.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Warrington, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2012

I've stayed here a lot (15 times+) now. I find the staff very helpful, the rooms are cleaned well and the food is really good. The facilities are good with a gym, spa, games room, restaurant and a bar serving food. As well as the big things the little extras are appreciated too, wifi in all rooms, free tea/coffee machines located around the hotel, free fruit and fruit juices, free newspapers are all nice touches.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Adam P
John T, General Manager at Woodland Grange, responded to this review, April 4, 2012
Thank you very much for your positive comment. We hope to see you again in the near future.
United Kingdom
Reviewed November 25, 2011

Stayed one night - hotel perfectly adequate, comfortable bed, opening window, radiator capable of being turned off, breakfast OK [although rather cold]. The hotel appeared very full [but it may have been a conference]. BUT as a woman travelling alone I found the extremely high proportion of male guests a bit intimidating - believe me I'm no shrinking violet but it was a bit uncomfortable. So a good business hotel but not for me.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Liz E
John T, General Manager at Woodland Grange, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Thank you for your feedback Liz. I'll pass your comments on to our chefs and ensure that they take action on your point.
Reviewed October 16, 2011

Free internet wifi, free parking, free coffee tea and cookies all around the hotel, jacuzzi, gymnasium and sauna. Good amenities. Far from everything, restaurant not working during my stay i had dinner at the bar................. .............cccccccccccccccccccccccccCccccccccddDdddddddddddddrvvvvcccccccccccccvvvvccccc

• Stayed October 2011
John T, General Manager at Woodland Grange, responded to this review, October 18, 2011
Thank you for your positive comments. We hope we can welcome you back soon, and offer you the chance to sample our finer dining experience.
Glasgow, UK
Reviewed August 1, 2011

I recently attended an all-day business meeting at the Woodland Grange, which included an overnight stay. The conferencing/business facilities are excellent, with big airy rooms and plenty of break-out areas. There are free tea and coffee facilities dotted around the ground floor and nice comfy sofas to relax on. I didn't use the IT facilities, but my colleague assures me that they are excellent.

As a hotel, the WG is also quite nicely specified, with a very friendly and efficient reception service, great food (freshly made smoothies at breakfast!) and nicely appointed rooms. The rooms are cosy, rather than hi-tech/boutique style, but they have everything you need.

There were a couple of small things that could be improved...

Noise :- Firstly, the extractor in the loo is the loudest I have ever encountered in a hotel, and it runs for a long time after you put the light off - not very restful. Similarly, the fire doors in the corridors bang closed, so again a bit of unnecessary noise pollution.

Signage :- I was in room 302, and, when I arrived and stepped out of the lift on the third floor, there were several doors pointing to room ranges (308 - 320 etc), but nothing at all to indicate where 302 is. I felt as though it was a Krypton Factor challenge to test my ingenuity....if I could find my room, I would be allowed to stay...

Buzz, buzz :- When I arrived in my room, the dormer window was already opened - it was a very hot day, and, without air conditioning, an open window is a nice touch. However, when I pulled out the seat underneath the window, I discovered two dead wasps on it. I then found two more on the opposite window ledge, leading me to peer out of the window....only to see a mass of swarming wasps right outside! There was a wasps' nest on the little roof apex outside the side window of 302 - fairly typical for an old property in a semi-rural setting, so not really the fault of the hotel. However, it did result in a very sticky night, and I'm only glad that the room came with a plug-in fan.

I did mention the wasp issue on my feedback card, so hopefully it will be 'removed' and the next tenant will be able to enjoy fresh air again!

I can't comment on cost/value, as I wasn't responsible for settling the account. On the whole, a pleasant enough stay, and I'd be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank UnpredictableLips
John T, General Manager at Woodland Grange, responded to this review, August 3, 2011
Thank you very much for your positive comments and review. I'm glad you enjoyed your recent stay with us, and can assure you that the non-paying guests outside of your window have now been removed.

Our support team are looking into the issue regarding the bathroom extract fan, and if found to be faulty this will be replaced immediately.

I have looked at the signage issue you have mentioned, and indeed there is an improvement here that we can make very quickly to aid in directing all our guests to the correct rooms.

Thank you again for your comments, and we hope to see you again in the near future.
Paris, France
Reviewed July 23, 2011

The hotel truly is a business centre. If you're not there for business it can sometimes feel a bit uncomfortable with everyone walking around everywhere with suits and name badges and talking business in between meetings. However it is a very modern and practical hotel and relatively conveniently located for Leamington.

As said previously it may be difficult to find the entrance the first time. Unfortunately the sign is only on one side of the road (left) and only if you are heading towards Leamington. Coming the other way you need to know it's the first right after the roundabout. Program it in to your GPS when you first arrive. Parking is excellent as there are several lots and all with a direct pathway to the hotel.

My room was quite nice. Unfortunately it was a room designed for handicapped people, which I am not, and it felt quite uncomfortable some times: the bathroom / toilet facilities were obviously designed for handicapped use and the shower would get the whole room wet, the chair was not meant to be under the desk and I had to push it around whenever I needed it. But all of this is specific to the room I had and not the rooms in general. There was both wired (appreciated) and wireless Internet access in the room, for free, and at a reasonable speed. I used my computer, iPhone and iPad simultaneously from within the room and it all worked fine.

I was on a celebratory trip (daughter's graduation) and didn't spend too much time in the room. I never used the television and I never woke up early enough to partake in the breakfast so I can not comment on either. I can mention that the all-night guard is quite nice, the buzzer is to the right of the entrance door, and let me in without any comments at all hours of the night.

I found the hotel to be enjoyable and reasonably-priced for the facilities. It was close, by car, to where I needed to go and I would certainly return there on a business trip.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank DCEFrance
Thank you for your very positive review of our facilities, we hope to see you again in the future.
Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2011

The hotel was a little difficult to find, a decent sign on the main road would help. The house is set back in its own grounds and looks very nice, also with good easy parking.
The receptionist was exceptionally friendly and check in was very quick, with lots of information on the local town centre, ie restaurants and pubs.
We had asked for a quiet room, but it was next to the main road, which when the window was closed wasn't a problem but in July it was quite hot, luckily a fan had been provided which was of great help.
The decor of the room and bathroom was a little faded but very clean with lots of clean fluffy towels and complimentary shower gels and shampoos etc.
A nice touch is the free coffee and hot drinks and fresh fruit which seem to be stationed at various points throughout the hotel.
Breakfast is served from 7.30 am and was fantastic, lovely fresh smoothies with lots of cold choices and lots of freshly cooked hot food which is self service, really enjoyable and a good start to the day.
We chose this hotel because it wasn't too far away from Silverstone where we were going for the Grand Prix on the Sunday, and for the price we paid it was good value for money, and also if we hadn't have stayed there we wouldn't have discovered lovely Leamington Spa.
Would love to return to discover more of the area and wouldn't hesitate to return to the Woodland Grange Hotel.

Room Tip: If you tick like the Hotel's page on Facebook there was an offer of first drink free in the bar.