“Awful”

Fat Birds Cafe
Ranked #53 of 256 Restaurants in Leamington Spa
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Awful”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

I don't really know where to start and I'm absolutely amazed that this place has so many good reviews, in fact it's why I went here in the first place!

Although there were only four people in there it took nearly 15 mins before I even got a drink order taken off me and then another 15 before it arrived.
It's one thing having to order beans as an extra but it'd be nice if they turned up at the same time as the rest of your breakfast, it'd be even nicer if they arrived warm!!!!
The bacon looked and tasted like it was cooked several hours before and was rock hard, the fried egg looked and tasted like overdone crap, beans when they arrived were freezing cold and as for the mushrooms, I'd like to know how they pulled off this magic trick, were freezing cold, had obviously at some point been boiled in plain water, yet still managed to maintain a raw texture!!!

I have never in my life been served such a bad breakfast and therefore will not only never eat there again, will be recommending to everybody that I know to avoid it.

2 Thank Deano187

Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“Good coffee, nice atmosphere, handy location”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Well located for all of Leamington's attractive shopping, this is a lovely place for a coffee or a snack/breakfast. The service is generally snappy and friendly, the coffee good and I've never felt any pressure to leave.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Chen0weth
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“Reasonable cafe for standard fare, friendly but haphazard service.”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

This place is actually somewhere between average and very good. We were regulars at bar angeli but fancied somewhere with more breakfast variety so ventured here. The fat birds breakfast is pretty good. I found the bacon good quality but agree with earlier review that the sausage could be better, its not chip shop standard but they could choose something tastier. The latte and mocha are good quality and value, especially compared to angeli.

Some other simple suggestions to vastly improve the score:

Whilst the waitresses are all very friendly, they are very inexperienced. You need to invest in some training and have a couple who can take charge. 3 of them asked us if we'd ordered, one "didn't see us sitting there". 2 walked downstairs past us empty handed without clearing our plates.

Put menus on all tables or improve the speed of service.

Have sauces on the table for breakfast time instead of 50 sets of cutlery. Make sure the sauce lids are kept clean!

Upstairs service isn't as attentive as it should be and the seating is awkward - ditch the sofas.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great food - choice for vegetarians!”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Decided to have lunch here last weekend as it looked busy inside so we thought it must be good. There was a decent choice for vegetarians which was very good, we have had to avoid other places because of their lack of vegetarian options.

Food was brilliant - good thing was that there was a wide range of sandwich fillings and then you could choose from a few types of bread such as baguette/toasted ciabatta so there was something for everyone.

Service was good - staff were friendly and helpful so we will be back again!!

• Visited October 2012
Midlands UK
“Good local cafe.”
Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

We've been going here since it opened, and I must admit to being a bit confused by some of the negative reviews on here. If you're after super fancy food, then forget it, that's not what they do. If you want a nice sandwich, done with good ingredients, or a nice cup of coffee, then you could do a good deal worse.

It gets quite busy and the waiting staff (mostly quite young) do a cracking job of dealing with everyone most of the time. They're cheerful and friendly and on the one occasion that I had to wait a bit for my coffee, they were very apologetic, but in their defence the place was heaving, so I think I can forgive them. Local businesses need help! Certain Seattle based conglomerates selling coffee style drinks don't. Give this place a go. The sticky date and prune cake is lovely too, and I don't really like cake!

1 Thank leamMidlandsUK