“Free cake, great company and a surprisingly good hotel.”

The Lansdowne Hotel
The Lansdowne Hotel
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Leamington Spa
Bexleyheath, United Kingdom
“Free cake, great company and a surprisingly good hotel.”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We booked two twins rooms which were nicely sized, especially as we had to fit a travel cot in one. We were a family of 2 adults and 3 children and in the evening after putting the children to bed we sat in the lounge. A very friendly staff member had finished for the evening and was watching tv. We sat with her and watched x factor together. On the table was a lovely looking cake and we were offered some. It was delicious and her company during the evening was great. Back to the hotel, it is very clean, attentive staff and the breakfast was ample and above average. I would recommend this hotel and would definitely book again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
N Ireland
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Our daughter lives close by so this hotel is an obvious choice when we visit. The last time we stayed it was very good and slightly 'eccentric' (huge portraits of the Queen and similar paraphernalia).

This time we arrived very early and were met by Ben who lifted our bags from us for storage and left us to carry on our visit. On our return they were in our room waiting for us. A lot of money, relatively speaking, has been spent on this little niche hotel. The expenditure has been very worthwhile as it has improved beyond recognition. This hotel was at the beginning and end of our visit to England. It compares very favourably with multi starred establishments and we were glad to return to it for our last night after a hectic touring visit. it was nearly like coming home. The staff and breakfast were excellent and we will definitely return next time only for longer.

Room Tip: They are all good and well presented
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
St Ives, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2013

The Lansdowne Hotel is in the centre of Leamington Spa. Excellent breakfast served by friendly and efficient staff. Clean bedrooms . Parking for about five cars. A good choice for a budget hotel in the centre of town. I would certainly stay again.

Room Tip: If a single room is required try room 1 . Although it is on the second floor it is a good size. Room...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Bodmin, Cornwall
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I made the mistake of booking this hotel without looking at Tripadvisor first and was slightly concerned when I later saw the mixed reviews, but I can heartily recommend it and will stay there again. It's very good value (by English standards) at £69 for a double room. The welcome was friendly and the staff I met were helpful and considerate. The decor is a little idiosyncratic, but there are a lot of humorous touches, like the 'dry' aquarium with plastic fish which would no doubt please the children. The rooms are of average size but the bed was very comfortable. Car parking is clearly an issue, with only a handful of spaces on the hotel premises, but I was lucky enough to get one; alternative parking is available on the street nearby. The bathroom was decent enough - no bath, but an adequate shower. I particularly liked the big, soft towels, something one rarely gets in a hotel. I also rated the breakfast highly. Proper food, and proper coffee, served by a real human being who was very helpful. All in all I thought excellent value for the price.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Ceredigion
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Unusually for me I didn't read the Tripadvisor reviews before booking, so I had no idea what to expect. Luckily, The Lansdowne proved to be a good choice. Our room was a decent size, clean and nicely decorated, as long as you don't mind big bright flowers all over the place!! I was a bit worried that we might be disturbed by traffic noise but I slept really well. Maybe that was because the bed was so comfortable.
I wish there had been some biscuits on the tea-tray, but that's just a small gripe and I have to say that it's the only hotel/guest house where I have ever found plasters supplied in the bath room. A thoughtful touch for those of us who tend to wear unsuitable shoes sometimes.......
It's within easy walking distance of the shops and restaurants, so is well positioned. It's pity the ''car park'' is only big enough for 4 vehicles, but permits are available so it's not too much of a problem.
Breakfast was good and varied and the staff were very helpful, particularly Ben the manager.
If we need to stay in Leamington again I would be happy to return to the Lansdowne.

Room Tip: If you want to be sure of off street parking then this is one to avoid.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Spalding, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We booked a triple room for 2 nights and specified 3 single beds. When we arrived the room had 1 double and 1 single bed. As we were expecting 3 singles we were disappointed. When we spoke to the manager we were told that this hotel does not provide a triple room with 3 singles. We pointed out that on the web site it states that it does, we were informed that we should have telephoned to double check with them first. After much discussion, during which time we were constantly told that the mistake was our fault, he finally agreed to give us a £20 refund and we were told we could spend it on drinks! Apart from this, the hotel is clean and the breakfast was fine. The car park is tiny to say the least, but they do provide permits to park on the road. Because of our unfortunate experience with the manager, we would definitely not stay here again.

Room Tip: If you book 3 single beds - you won't get them!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I had originally booked at the Episode but they had overbooked and booked me into the Landsdowne . Managed to get a parking space although they were limited . Hotel was dated and the only room available was a single - don't believe this was the hotels fault . Room was very basic with no bath and the shower was basically just a plinth with a shower curtain around it . Nevertheless it was clean and I had a good nights sleep and a decent breakfast . Don't think I'd go back but it was OK as a budget B&B . Staff were friendly and polite - unlike the Episode .

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business